Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter

Go down 
+2
SheWolf
granite4brains
6 posters
AuthorMessage
granite4brains

granite4brains

Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter Empty
PostSubject: Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter   Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 11:18 pm

I recently changed my 13 tooth front sprocket for a JT 12 tooth sprocket. Was on the highway today going 70 (or so I thought ) and getting passed by everybody. My wife was driving behind me and told me I was actually going 55. Anyhow, looks like my speedometer, and I'm assuming the odometer too, is way off now. Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter 490865

Just curious if a) others had this problem, b) how do the speedometer, etc, work on the WR250R, and c) what's the fix, if there is one?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter   Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 12:35 am

Yeah, going to the 12 will knock your speedo off. A 12/43 combo with the 606's on bring the speedo to where it should be. You can get the SPeedoDRD from Brooks off his website 12O'clockLabs. Better yet, PM him (12oclocker). He can set you up. thumb

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter   Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 8:26 am

Yep. Prior to changing the stock gearing you were already in need of a speedo fix.

The stock unit is roughly 7% off. The odometer was correct.

Dropping a tooth in front sent you even farther off on speed. Roughly to somewhere around 14% off.

The 12 O'clock Labs web site has a brilliant calculator that lets you plug in your gearing, the stock gearing, and even tire sizes so that you can get the most accurate idea of how far off you really are.

The changes I made to my X put me at about 22% off from reality.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter   Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 9:18 am

granite4brains wrote:

...how do the speedometer, etc, work on the WR250R...?

Like most bikes designed these days, the (electromagnetic) speedometer pickup is off one of the transmission shafts.
This is why changing your gearing messes your speedometer accuracy up.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter   Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 12:44 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Yeah, going to the 12 will knock your speedo off. A 12/43 combo with the 606's on bring the speedo to where it should be.

Is this because the 606's are taller than the trail wings? Yesterday was my first ride with DOT knobbies and a 12T; did both mods at once. To be honest, I did not feel a major impact, i.e. quicker acceleration, from the smaller front sprocket. Your statement has me wondering if the taller DOT knobby offset the smaller front sprocket.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter   Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 7:45 pm

thanks guys! I'll definitely be picking up one of those SpeedoDRD thingys from 12 oclock labs. My buddy just bought a new bike too and we were wondering why our odometers were not comparing - I guess the factory default settings are probably a bit off for both of us - interesting to know.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter   Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 1:58 pm

well, I can't seem to accomplish much without some help from this forum Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter 986936

I just received my 12oclock SpeedoDRD thingy and I'm stuck on step 1: locate your speed sensor! Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter 342500 Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter Icon_scratch

The manual kind of shows the generic location of it, and I thought taking off the seat and side panel might give access. Now I just see a bunch of wires and connectors and don't know what's what? Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter 29721 I was able to succesfully identify the battery though Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter 525406

Anyhow, could anybody offer some helpful advice on this - I would much appreciate it!

EDIT: I may have found it. Right above my battery is a connector which appears to be the only that mathes the connector for the speedoDRD. When I attemp to trace it, it appears to be going to the back middle of the "engine" area, which matches the general location shown in the manual. Am I on the right track here?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter   Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Go here my man: click me

There are two connectors that look exactly alike.

One is the correct one, the other obviously is not.

Read through thread I linked you to. It's discussed and described perfectly there.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter   Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 5:12 pm

thanks motokid! That thread helped out a lot. Turns out I even guessed the right connector Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter 810411

Got it all installed and gonna take it out tomorrow and give it a test.
Back to top Go down
Dave Bell

Dave Bell

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter   Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 6:14 pm

motokid wrote:
Go here my man: click me

There are two connectors that look exactly alike.

One is the correct one, the other obviously is not.

Read through thread I linked you to. It's discussed and described perfectly there.

link does not work.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter   Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Well - the thread is a little over a year old since that link was posted.

Seems the link was to a thread that no longer exists, or was perhaps moved.

I can't find it now.

baldy

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter   Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter Empty

Back to top Go down

Front Sprocket Change And Odometer/Speedomter
Page 1 of 1