Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

12T Front Sprocket Question

Go down 
+2
SheWolf
Ecarnell
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ecarnell

12T Front Sprocket Question Empty
PostSubject: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 10:43 am

Went to go buy a new 12T front sprocket (Royal Distributing - Ontario Canada) – with old 13T in hand and was taken aback that it did not have the same outside raise “lips” I was expecting.
Curious to know what peoples thoughts are why the original sprockets have this (as it’s added weight/cost to manufacture?) compared to a straight cut sprocket?
Also wonder if the two guys (Red Brown/DingWeeds) who have had blown clutches from caked up front sprockets were running stock gearing(front sprocket) or after market ones?
I would assume the raised lips on the stocker helps “prevent” dirt/grime from entered the drive axle but at what cost (i.e lack of clearing out mud?).

Went on-line and looked at the Yamaha recommend 12T sprocket (GYT-75503-12-00) and it “looks” like the same aftermarket one – no raised lip? The stock 13T on the parts catalogue show it as (#27 on transmission page) – as 3D7-17460-00-00 – and you can see the raised lip on the one side.

Thoughts – or am I thinking too much into this and just shut up and buy the aftermarket 12T….

Eric
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 11:11 am

If what I'm thinking you're seeing...the raised lips are vibration dampeners (unless you're seeing something different). I have the 12 on mine and don't notice any more vibration than the stock one, to be honest. Others have, some haven't. 12T Front Sprocket Question 29721 I dremeled off the lips on my 13 when I swapped out the 12T to do a long highway trip. Didn't seem to make any difference. I also went with the JT because the GYTR one was way more cash.

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 1:14 pm

The stock Yamaha 12T are $32.95 Can.. Aftermarket ones are $11.00 - up in the great white north...

Shewolf - Why would you dremel off the lips on the 13T? What benefit would it provide - clearance issues? Mud build up? less "rotating mass"?

Thanks

Eric
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Ecarnell wrote:
The stock Yamaha 12T are $32.95 Can.. Aftermarket ones are $11.00 - up in the great white north...

Shewolf - Why would you dremel off the lips on the 13T? What benefit would it provide - clearance issues? Mud build up? less "rotating mass"?

Thanks

Eric

Eric,

I'll field this one so you get an answer sooner. I'll defer to Wuffie's input if I'm incorrect on this:

2008 R's and X's had front and rear sprockets with a rubber ring out near the teeth. This was supposed to be a vibration damper or something.

Some people believe this rubber ring keeps the chain from seating fully in the teeth - especially if the chain tension isn't spot on.

So some people with 2008's sometimes experience a glitch or a hop or a bind sometimes called or thought to be chain skipping. Many think it's not an actual full tooth skip, but a near attempt at it that causes a clunk and a hit/hesistation simulating a skip.

Whether it's a skip or not, most people believe that replacing the sprockets with those without the rubber rings will solve the problem. I suspect but don't know: It's possible that SheWolf dremeled that rubber ring off to avoid the possibility of the skip feeling or bind or whatever it is. It's a near zero buck solution versus buying another 13t sprocket. While not that expensive, it's probably enough with shipping to buy a six pack of beer! freaky

I've never experienced the skip feeling but fully trust that it does happen on some bikes. Probably would have eventually happened on mine as I don't adjust the chain all that precisely. I've replaced the sprockets, so I no longer have the rubber rings.

So that's my take on it.

Wuffie: Above accurate enough?? ;-)

Artoo
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Close. 12T Front Sprocket Question 61865 The 08's had the rubber ring on the rear sprocket, the 09's didn't. The 08's and onwards also had a rubber dampener on the inside of the front sprocket. The rear one was causing problems with skipping with some ppl. The front one I merely removed the rubber shit because it really didn't seem to be of all that great a bonus. Bike certainly doesn't have any more vibration without it, and less shit can get hung up in between there and the countershaft. Never experienced any skipping whatsoever. Keep my chain tension where it should be. It's tru it's just a matter of nickels and dimes, but I just decided to do it for the clearing issue. Nothing worse than a muddy gloppy hangup with that up front. 12T Front Sprocket Question 490865

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 10:06 pm

How big of a difference did a 12t on the front make. I want a bit more offroad power and was thinking Of changing the back but if I go with the front it's alot easier to swap back and forth.
Back to top Go down
Pokey

Pokey

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Mine currently has a 12, but will be going back to a 13 with a 45 rear.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 9:03 am

I think I am going to go bigger on the back. Maybe up 4-5 teeth. This way I can just buy a 14t for the front if I find I need the road speed back. Stock is 13-43 so will a 13-47/48 mean a new chain as well. Here comes the dumb question. Can you add links to the current chain or just don't be cheap and buy a new one.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:14 am

With the 12t up front and the stock 43 on the rear, you can run single track all day and have a whack of fun...then hit the road, and run the highway without any troubles keeping up with the traffic. You actually still have decent power to pass and stay ahead of the pack if you wanted to. A 13/45 is pretty close to the 12/43 in ratio; I just found swapping out the 12 was much easier than the rear if I wanted to do longer highway runs. 12T Front Sprocket Question 61865

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 12:00 pm

This is where I should have started. I am looking to be able to lift the front end on command in either 3-4 gear to help getting through ditches puddles etc and to be able to pull hills longer before having to drop a gear. I ride dirt. Pavement to get there but I am concerned more about dirt
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 5:17 pm

You won't be disappointed with the 12 then. Just keep an eye on your chain tension...but that's a no-brainer with any setup.

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 9:58 pm

I think this will be my setup

12/47 for offroad
13/47 for longer road trips

I will take a hit on top end, but really, 110km/h is fast enough for me on thi little bike. I want pep in the trees.

Who/where do you recommend going to buy sprockets chains etc. Also, can a guy use master links to lengthen the chain for the rest of this season and buy a chain over the winter. I won't have much more then 1500/2000kms by then so sprockets should be good with a new chain in spring.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 9:39 am

I got 10k out of my rear sprocket. As for where to get them, cheapest place I found was a place on the north end of Vernon called Rollin Rubber. They beat out all the dealers.

oic0

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 2:33 pm

I must be the only strange person that is enjoying 14t front off-road Very happy
Then again, its not my fast bike, its my relax bike.
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 3:57 pm

I just picked up a second WRR a few weeks ago and it had 12/49 setup, it still did 80 mph with adjusted speedo !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 12T Front Sprocket Question   12T Front Sprocket Question Empty

Back to top Go down

12T Front Sprocket Question
Page 1 of 1