Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Newb to the dirt

Go down 
+3
jason meacham
Mr.Metal
flyfrog
7 posters
AuthorMessage
flyfrog

Newb to the dirt Empty
PostSubject: Newb to the dirt   Newb to the dirt EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 11:48 pm

I started two wheelers with a Honda F2, then a Yami R1, now I have a Yami Road* Warrior. More recently, I have a pregnant wife and a 18 month old. It is time to go with something more economic, but more versatile. I like the look of this WR250. I am 6' 1" & 230#, looking for a commuter (30 miles with a pass at 5000'), but ready for some newb dirt time. I don't need to do 100' tabletops, but would like enough nuts to get around on some hills. Some have said this is too small for me, but am very happy with a Subaru Outback Sport (also versatile, fun & economic). Now, I have to get back to reading...
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Newb to the dirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb to the dirt   Newb to the dirt EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 2:01 am

I'm 6' and 210lbs, so close to your weight. Stock, the WRR may feel a bit wimpy to you, but I promise you it's really not. Once you get used to using the revs to your advantage, get a feel for the power band, and open up the intake and exhaust (extra expense, but WELL worth it), I think you'll really love it. Newb to the dirt 61865
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

Newb to the dirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb to the dirt   Newb to the dirt EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 6:56 am

Mr.Metal wrote:
I'm 6' and 210lbs, so close to your weight. Stock, the WRR may feel a bit wimpy to you, but I promise you it's really not. Once you get used to using the revs to your advantage, get a feel for the power band, and open up the intake and exhaust (extra expense, but WELL worth it), I think you'll really love it. Newb to the dirt 61865
+1 on what Mr.metal said....I'm6'2'' 250lbs and my WRR has enough power for me,,,,just don't be afraid to ride it in the higher rpms...until Yamaha makes a WR450r,,I'm happy with a 250
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Newb to the dirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb to the dirt   Newb to the dirt EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 11:43 am

Welcome to the pack Frog! thumb

Newb to the dirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb to the dirt   Newb to the dirt EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Thanks y'all. I'm looking to find one for sale nearby and go for a ride. We are moving later this year and I don't want to buy and have to move it. I still have to sell my Road* and try to fit the WRR in the budget (approved by THE HOUSE). More reading...
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

Newb to the dirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb to the dirt   Newb to the dirt EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 12:30 am

Yes, welcome to the forums, enjoy all that we have to offer.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Newb to the dirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb to the dirt   Newb to the dirt EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 2:13 am

Perception is somewhat mixed signals here...

If you are looking for economy for commuting you already have two current solutions.

However if the desire is to have an option for the ride home by taking the more scenic route (on dirt), you can't make a better choice IMO.

You will never get the F2/R1 adrenaline surge, but then again, you can't bounce and splash either of those bikes through a knee-deep water crossing either.

My guess is you'd also be selling the Warrior in no time flat.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Newb to the dirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb to the dirt   Newb to the dirt EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 10:13 am

Oh man , the fun factor of this bike is incredible! We've got some big guys on here riding that bike and absolutely love it. Very happy

Mr.Metal

Newb to the dirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb to the dirt   Newb to the dirt EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 3:22 am

Every time I take the WRR out, I realize that it's more than enough bike for me. Seriously. Don't be afraid to get on the throttle and then just hang on Newb to the dirt 61865
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Newb to the dirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb to the dirt   Newb to the dirt EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 12:43 am

flyfrog wrote:
...I am 6' 1" & 230#, looking for a commuter (30 miles with a pass at 5000')...
In addition to what's been said, take a good look at your commute. If you're talking interstate speeds, you'll likely be dissappointed as you'll be about topped out. If you're talking 50-60mph then I can say that the WR is by far the most fun on a moving bike under 55mph. thumb

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
flyfrog

Newb to the dirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb to the dirt   Newb to the dirt EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 12:46 am

My commute would be about 30 miles each way with a posted limit of 50-55 (90%) and some secondary roads. I would not plan to top 60 mph, but hope to have the power to do that up hill, without downshifting from high gear (too much). It sounds like a well-rounded bike. I just need to find one to test ride. I just road my Warrior yesterday and that torque is awesome.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Newb to the dirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb to the dirt   Newb to the dirt EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 1:29 am

I would be totally willing to use my WR for that sort of commute! It's truly a great dual sport (R or X). You can drop a tooth in the front or go up a few in the back and you won't need to drop a gear to do 55 and you'll still be able to pull 65 when you need.

As for the torque, yeah, I'm a big believer that no one bike can fill all my needs though. I have others for where this one runs short. When you need a shot of torque, a quick spin on something bigger does the job.
Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Newb to the dirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb to the dirt   Newb to the dirt Empty

Back to top Go down

Newb to the dirt
Page 1 of 1