Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

FMF pipe with no programmer

Go down 
+3
YZEtc
motokid
Ozy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ozy

Ozy

FMF pipe with no programmer Empty
PostSubject: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 6:00 am

Hi all,

Im looking at buying a new pipe, can i run an FMF Q4 and PB header pipe with no programmer until I'm cashed up again?

I have to keep some cash aside for the new tank.. Very happy

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 6:15 am

Why not skip the header pipe for now and use that money to get programmer?

Then, after you buy new tank, and save some more money, get the header later if you think you really need it.

There's been lots of head-scratching over the performance gains of the header. As in, does it really give you anything other than a smaller bank balance?

Another question for you - have you done any mods to the intake side yet? Flapper mod or AIS removal? Air filter mod or airbox changes?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 6:35 am

motokid wrote:
Why not skip the header pipe for now and use that money to get programmer?

Then, after you buy new tank, and save some more money, get the header later if you think you really need it.

There's been lots of head-scratching over the performance gains of the header. As in, does it really give you anything other than a smaller bank balance?

Another question for you - have you done any mods to the intake side yet? Flapper mod or AIS removal? Air filter mod or airbox changes?

The deal I've done pretty much gives me the header for not much more than the pipe... Very happy, so I might as well put it on.

As for the ais & airbox mods I've been waiting for the new pipe.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 6:36 am

I'd get cashed-up enough to get the programmer right now.
It's that important. :)
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 6:52 am

YZEtc wrote:
I'd get cashed-up enough to get the programmer right now.
It's that important. :)

Important in what way?

Performance or risk of damage due to running lean etc???

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 7:12 am

Throttle response.
I rode my WR-250R back-to-back both with and without the programmer hooked up.
It really felt bad without it, like the bike was running out of gas.
You open the throttle, and it just wouldn't respond as well.

I doubt you'd hurt the bike doing it the way you are thinking of, but in my personal hindsight, buying a pipe without the programmer is simply 90% bling and sound.

Like motokid wrote, you need to remove the airbox flapper gizmo, too.
I'd also remove the AIS (air injection) parts so you don't get a lot of unwanted popping when coasting down to a stop with your new exhaust muffler.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 7:21 am

Conventional, and conservative wisdom is this:

1) the wr250 comes pretty lean from yamaha. lean enough that most efi progammers that are specific for the wr don't even allow for attempting leaner settings.

2) Opening both the intake and exhaust pushes things even leaner

3) Do you want to be the guy that finds the "lean limit" by not incorporating a efi unit?

I've not heard of anybody siezing their wr due to over-lean conditions. I can only parrot what I've heard others say.

If you open both ends of the system and don't factor in some way of adding more fuel you are tempting fate and risking some bad mojo.

Look into http://www.tunewithattitude.com/products.php?pr=37 <-- these.

The programmer is way worth it. If you insist on pipe and airbox modding - you need a programmer.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 9:06 am

Ozy wrote:
Hi all,
Im looking at buying a new pipe, can i run an FMF Q4 and PB header pipe with no programmer until I'm cashed up again?
I have to keep some cash aside for the new tank.. FMF pipe with no programmer 93746
The only mod I've done so far was adding a programmer (I went with AI.) HUGE ridability improvement. FMF pipe with no programmer 61865
I'd go with the programmer before the new tank...

I was going to hold off until the warantee expires for the Flapper, AIS, and Q4...but like's too short, will do it soon.)
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 11:35 am

wink I got the AI too. HUGE improvement, even without the pipe. Once the pipe was added, it was even better. Not only that, Derek is giving us here at this board a nice discount. thumb

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 6:42 pm

To spend all that money on a pipe & skip a programmer is like saying you can afford a $6k bike but can't afford a helmet. Not to mention you won't' come close to rea;izing the potential of the pipe without a programmer & as mentioned, may in fact go backwards wihtout it.

Get a programmer. I prefer the Power Commanders for the much finer adjustment, ability to lean where required, & advanced features. They are plug & play.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 7:19 pm

The new Gen 3.5 you can lean out, and it retains memory throughout the gears, which none of the others can do. deal

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 7:26 pm

SheWolf wrote:
The new Gen 3.5 you can lean out, and it retains memory throughout the gears, which none of the others can do. deal

*snickers*

Sales wuff wink thumb
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Hey, it's a superior product. I'll give credit where it's due. Steering stabilizer, anyone? amazon

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 7:42 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Hey, it's a superior product. I'll give credit where it's due. Steering stabilizer, anyone? amazon

That it is, your bike is proof of it. As for the stabilizer... Nah, I'll pass, I don't subscribe to the idea of putting excess useless weight on a bike.
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 10:27 pm

SheWolf wrote:
and it retains memory throughout the gears

What do you mean by this? The PC V can adjust the map for each gear (if you want to).
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 10:30 pm

Has anyone, anywhere, EVER had a need to make any setting leaner on a wr250r/x???

Ever?

I've not once read of anyone doing this. Not here, not at SupermotoJunkie, not at ADVrider, and not at Thumpertalk.

What would the conditions, or mods be that would require a need to run the bike leaner?

Just wondering.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 11:58 pm

You dont make them leaner overall but do lean them out at spots. Look at any PC map, WR included. Here is my WR map--mostly large increases with some decreases here & there. (PC map is based on %--5 = +5%, -2 = -2% etc.)

FMF pipe with no programmer Svsvsvsv

There are bikes that come rich from the factory, I have one of them, here is the PCIII map for it. Note the much smaller numbers than the WR map. This is a map with an exhaust system--it barley increases fuel over stock with a fair amount of leaning out (negative).

FMF pipe with no programmer Wgbfrntnm

Now here is a map for the same bike as above but with stock pipes---almost all negative. Keep in mind this bike comes so rich from the factory you smell when you get off it & it will burp black smoke when you wrap the throttle.

FMF pipe with no programmer Egehkkk

Got spare time? go to the dynojet website & download the FREE powercommander software (for the PC V). Then download all the FREE maps (for the 2009+ WR250R/X on the PC V). Look at all the maps & see what kind of numbers they add or subtract & where. As Will Farrell says "The look'n is free, but touch'n is gonna cost ya".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FMF pipe with no programmer   FMF pipe with no programmer Empty

Back to top Go down

FMF pipe with no programmer
Page 1 of 1