Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Do i need a programmer with my pipe...?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
atvguy64

Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? Empty
PostSubject: Do i need a programmer with my pipe...?   Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Hey guys, i just got a two brothers exhaust for my '08 WR250X and i hear everyone talk about putting programmers on their bikes, but do i really need one? If i keep the pipe on but no programmer, am i going to melt down my motor or anything?javascript:emoticonp('dunno') Any help is much appreciated, thank you!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a programmer with my pipe...?   Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 9:56 pm

I've never heard of anyone losing a motor because of adding a pipe and not adding a programmer.

if you haven't opened up the intake side of things you should be okay.

You won't realize the true benefits of the pipe without a programmer, but I don't think you'll be in danger of damaging the motorcycle.

The only time I've ever heard of an engine issue is when people try to go swimming with their bike.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
atvguy64

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a programmer with my pipe...?   Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 11:05 pm

Yeah, i have no plans on touching the intake, i just heard some people say that the WR is already lean from Yamaha, so i was just a little worried that if i put the pipe on and bother remapping it that i might have some issues. But you don't think that the pipe should cause any motor damage?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a programmer with my pipe...?   Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 5:50 am

atvguy64 wrote:
Yeah, i have no plans on touching the intake, i just heard some people say that the WR is already lean from Yamaha, so i was just a little worried that if i put the pipe on and bother remapping it that i might have some issues. But you don't think that the pipe should cause any motor damage?

I can't hand you a written and signed letter of endorsement, and guarantee that nothing will happen.

I can only tell you that between this forum, Thumpertalk, SMJ, and a little ADVrider, I've never seen anyone post anything about toasting a motor due to overly lean conditions because they added an aftermarket exhaust.

The general myth is that Yamaha ships these bikes out a little lean. What follows is always the same advice. Open the intake and exhaust and the RISK of running too lean increases quite a bit.

Just adding a slip-on exhaust shouldn't push you into dangerous areas from what I've read.
I think quite a few people here have run without an efi programmer and a pipe and not had any issues.

In time I'm sure you'll add the programmer and open up the intake as well. If you open up the breathing the jury is usually pretty consistent and unanimous about needing a programmer.

Wait and see what others here think. Never take the word of one person on the internet.
I can only tell you I have not seen anyone else post that just adding a slip-on causes damage to engine.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a programmer with my pipe...?   Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 7:20 am

As motokid has indicated, adding a slip-on, or even a full exhaust, will not cause an over-lean condition. Messing with the intake can.

Additionally, I'll go a little further and give you motokid's guarantee on that. Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? 93746
Back to top Go down
atvguy64

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a programmer with my pipe...?   Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 10:44 am

hahah alright thanks a lot guys, i just wanted another opinion other than my own. I'm sure you're right and i'll eventually end up with a programmer and intake, thanks again!
Back to top Go down
atvguy64

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a programmer with my pipe...?   Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Alright i need more help! I began taking my stock pipe off and attached to it is that emissions control unit. What exactly does it do? If i take it off is it going to effect my motor? And how the hell do i get it disconnected from the wire harness! Thanks again guys, sorry I'm such a noob! Shog
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a programmer with my pipe...?   Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi iv been running my toy with the Two Bothers can, air intake mod, K&N and No programer. I screw the thing all the time with no problems.
I have modified the conection pipe so that I still have the Exup and O2 sensor, I am in the uk so I don't know if the O2 sensor changes anything !
I also seem to suffer from no dead spots, but the can was way too loud, I had to fit a power tip with my home made baffle to make it sweeter.

TWO BROTHERS AMPLIFIER
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a programmer with my pipe...?   Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 5:42 pm

atvguy64 wrote:
Alright i need more help! I began taking my stock pipe off and attached to it is that emissions control unit. What exactly does it do? If i take it off is it going to effect my motor? And how the hell do i get it disconnected from the wire harness! Thanks again guys, sorry I'm such a noob! Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? 986936

That's the EXUP device. Not for emissions. Supposedly improves low-end grunt on the stock bike (bah). Take it off and do the EXUP eliminator mod that has been discussed endlessly on this forum, or you can buy the little device from Graves for mighty $$$.

I'm usually the guy defending the newbs for not doing a search first, hell, we all have questions, but these issues have been discussed and discussed in infinitum on this forum. A little searching will yield a wealth of information. Dig in, and good luck! Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? 61865
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a programmer with my pipe...?   Do i need a programmer with my pipe...? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do i need a programmer with my pipe...?
Page 1 of 1