Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Trail Tech 8" HID race light

Go down 
+10
svr700
WRXR
foofighter
bikepsych
D1EHARD
Medski
njbill
skierd
SheWolf
Machtig
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Machtig

Trail Tech 8" HID race light  Empty
PostSubject: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 2:13 am

Installing the Trail Tech 8" HID race light. This required removing the factory instrument cluster and mount. I am having Paul at HDB make me one of his billet protectors and mount for the instrument cluster (well I hope so anyway, I just emailed him about it). Once the instrument cluster is out of the way, the light bolts right up.

I intend to run this light from now on, and as such,I have thoroughly searched California's vehicle code on lights and could find nothing that makes the light inherently illegal. As long as it is aimed per the vehicle code, I "think" I'll be ok, legally speaking. I am fairly certain there is a federal code on lighting, and that I am most likely in violation of that, but hopefully as long as it isn't blinding folks, the po po will not hassle me.

I am also now elbows deep in the engine, tearing down the engine so I can send the cylinder off to Thumper Racing for their big bore install. So far so good. I'm feeling pretty good at this point that I won't have to remove the engine from the bike. I've already got the valve cover off and that was pretty easy, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Trail Tech 8" HID race light  DSC04358

Trail Tech 8" HID race light  DSC04357

Trail Tech 8" HID race light  DSC04356

Trail Tech 8" HID race light  DSC04355

Trail Tech 8" HID race light  DSC04354
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 11:40 am

Shit you'll be able to light up the forest with that thing! Trail Tech 8" HID race light  640571

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Keep us updated on what the HDB guys say about the relocation kit, I've been wanting to get an 8" headlight. thumb Looks great!
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 7:37 pm

Sorry for my ignorance but... what is HDB?

Nice light!
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 7:44 pm

njbill wrote:
Sorry for my ignorance but... what is HDB?

Nice light!

Highway Dirt Bikes <--- Clicky
Back to top Go down
D1EHARD

D1EHARD

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Looks great Machtig. Quick question: If your light was not the HID version (i.e. didn't require the ballast plate behind the light), would you still have to remove the instrument cluster? I've always wondered if there was enough room for just the light and bracket without the ballast plate.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 9:01 pm

D1EHARD wrote:
Looks great Machtig. Quick question: If your light was not the HID version (i.e. didn't require the ballast plate behind the light), would you still have to remove the instrument cluster? I've always wondered if there was enough room for just the light and bracket without the ballast plate.

Thanks.

Maybe, but it would be very tight. I'll try to check, but with the cluster and mount removed, it would be hard to get accurate measurements.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Thinking about it too, the Baja Designs kit aparently sits out further. I might have to give them a shot. How close is it to fitting with the stock gauge cluster?
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 7:23 pm

skierd wrote:
Thinking about it too, the Baja Designs kit aparently sits out further. I might have to give them a shot. How close is it to fitting with the stock gauge cluster?

Not even close to fitting with the stock cluster location. It HAS to be moved. I'm 99.9% certain even though the BD light sticks out further, it still wouldn't clear.

The Baja Designs 8" light is even bigger and heavier than the Trail Tech light. Trail Tech has a photo on their website showing the difference in size. Here it is...

Trail Tech 8" HID race light  Trail-Tech_vs_Baja-Designs_w600
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:56 pm

Hmm ok. I'd be getting a halogen version fwiw and running the H4 conversion kit a guy on ADV has been selling for day to day riding.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532075

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539160

Gives you hi/lo beam and a safe cutoff for street riding, but tons of light on high still. Plus, no rewiring. Everything I've heard about these lights say its like having the sun coming up on you, focused into a beam of awesomeness, with the stock unit, but the H4 kit gives 90% of the light without the death glare. I'm thinking this kit, plus a pair of halogen or HID spot lights, would be enough for RallyMoto's night stages if I can do that next year like I'm hoping to...

Any word from HDB yet?
Back to top Go down
bikepsych

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 12:32 am

I had a twin 8" light set up on my Honda XR400. Cost me a fortune to get the stator upgraded, wired and hooked up to the high,low beam switch. Was awesome though. Very comprehensive coverage on the road. Trail Tech 8" HID race light  810411

BG
Back to top Go down
bikepsych

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 12:36 am

Here's a short clip of my old XR400 with the dual light setup.
Back to top Go down
foofighter

foofighter

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Old bump, but did you ever get the gauge cluster mounted up?
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:34 pm

LOL that headlight really looks machtig
Back to top Go down
svr700

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:40 am

I also have the trail tech light. I had to slightly modify the speedo bracket, it's tight but fits fine. I made a plate to go on top of the light also.
Trail Tech 8" HID race light  IMG_0929
Trail Tech 8" HID race light  IMG_0931
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:38 pm

A little off topic, but what do you have your RAM mount base attached to?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 3:29 pm

To me it looks like the metal bush guard the hand guard is bolted to... dunno

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Jäger wrote:
A little off topic, but what do you have your RAM mount base attached to?

It's just sandwiched between the mirror base and the mount.
Back to top Go down
Axl

Axl

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 4:05 pm

Hello everyone, new guy here.

I´m doing the same with my wrr, for you who have mounted the trailtech light with the speedo bracket still on/or modified it,
could you please post some close-up pics on how you did this.

I really need to get the light on there, it´s getting dark out there.....
Back to top Go down
Axl

Axl

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 12:45 pm

No one ?
Back to top Go down
Axl

Axl

PostSubject: I got light!   Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 2:23 pm

So, I finally got to the Trail Tech light on there.
I ended up removing both speedo bracket and ignition switch, there was not enough space for the hid light.
Made a copy off the TT plate that is on the top off the light and mounted the speedo there.

Trail Tech 8" HID race light  Img_0516
Trail Tech 8" HID race light  Img_0517
Trail Tech 8" HID race light  Img_0519
Trail Tech 8" HID race light  Img_0520

Last edited by Axl on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
johnnyadventurepants

johnnyadventurepants

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 10:31 pm

Looks great Axl! Can you post a pic from the rider's view?
Back to top Go down
Axl

Axl

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 4:35 am

Trail Tech 8" HID race light  Img_0521
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Just to bump... is it the HID box that gets in the way or the headlight housing itself?

Back to top Go down
StreetGhost

StreetGhost

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Sleep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech 8" HID race light    Trail Tech 8" HID race light  Empty

Back to top Go down

Trail Tech 8" HID race light
Page 1 of 1