Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

First longer trip RR

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
picard

picard

First longer trip RR Empty
PostSubject: First longer trip RR   First longer trip RR EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 2:21 pm

I now officially believe buying the WRR was the right choice First longer trip RR 525406
I completed a 500 mile round trip from my place in Boulder to the edge of the Flattop Wilderness this last weekend. Pure fun and no hiccup. About 350 miles dirt and gravel and 150 miles of highway I could not avoid. Bike has a 50 tooth in the rear and I had just mounted my Mitas tires (80/100 front, 100/100 rear). Tried out my new Wolfman luggage (E-10 saddlebags, Peak tail bag, Enduro Carry-all). I have the duffel also but did not take it as everything I needed fit into the E-10s and the peak bag.

Pictures first:

On my way West out of Boulder on Gap road

First longer trip RR Ry%3D400

Oh-My God-Road into Idaho Springs

Along Road 3 in Summit County

On the Trough Road approaching the Colorado River Headwaters

The River with the Railroad route next to it. The Zephyr runs along this route from Chicago to San Francisco (the Denver to SLT section is grand!). And about 10 coal trains a day and plenty of cargo trains.

It always makes me angry to see something like this. You would think people who can afford a gun and ammo could go out and buy their own damn target!

Rest along the Colorado River Road

The Flattops in the background. getting closer! Also looking forward to climbing into some cooler temperatures. The river valley was approaching 100 degrees

Gaining altitude on Coffee Pot Road

Ruining the scenery with my ugly head at Deep Creek Overlook

The Flattops

On my way home Sunday - looking down Coffee Pot Road. This time I was looking forward to some warmer temps! The Flattops are 11000 feet elevation and it was 45 degrees.

Getting closer to the bottom - it's 30 miles from the top to the river.

On Summit County Road 50 between Parshall and Fraser. The Mountain Pine Beetle has ravaged here. I'd estimate that 90% of all Lodgepole Pine in Summit County are dead.

Crooked Creek Road - Byers peak in the background

The start of one of my favorite mountain bike trails - Tipperary Creek. No Motorcycles allowed...

A "classic" Colorado scene

Oh My God Road

"Dangerous Conditions Exist" First longer trip RR Icon_scratch

Back home overlooking Boulder from Flagstaff Road

After 2 consecutive days of being in the saddle for 7 hours each and on the road for about 9 I must say this little bike is incredible. Never was I longing for more power. The seating position is comfortable for me, the seat itself is quite acceptable (just slight monkey butt Sunday afternoon). The 50 tooth rear is just about perfect for our elevation - it is possible to use 6th on the highway at 10000 feet and actually pass people once in a while. Trip gas mileage average was about 70-75 mpg.
I'm not sure however if I'll buy the Mitas tires again. Not confidence inspiring on gravel, very squirrely on the highway, good on dirt though. From what I remember running the D606 on my DRZ in the olden days, they were the better all-around tire for me.
The Wolfman soft luggage is excellent, but many of you know that already. Stays where it is even when it gets really bumpy, keeps the grime and dust out very admirably, and is the right size without danger of overloading the bike. It's seriously dirty now though - need to find out what's the best way to clean it.

Well here is is I hope you enjoyed the RR.
Frank
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip RR   First longer trip RR EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 6:34 pm

That is a nice ride Picard with a lot of elevation change. Did you back country camp? Thanks for posting the pics. I like the flatops pic the best
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip RR   First longer trip RR EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 7:47 pm

Chief_Lee_Visceral wrote:
That is a nice ride Picard with a lot of elevation change. Did you back country camp? Thanks for posting the pics. I like the flatops pic the best

Yes we camped close to one of the smaller lakes up there. Yeah it was a nice evening with beautiful light when I took that picture.
Re elevation changes - gotta love the EFI First longer trip RR 525406
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip RR   First longer trip RR EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 8:10 pm

Nice report & pics.. looks like it was fun! I want to do some high colorado riding.. i was hoping to get up that way this year, but it's august already..

thanks for the report!
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip RR   First longer trip RR EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 9:54 pm

rydnseek wrote:
Nice report & pics.. looks like it was fun! I want to do some high colorado riding.. i was hoping to get up that way this year, but it's august already..

thanks for the report!

You are living in a very beautiful place yourself. Spent some days there last in 2003. Very nice area. Need to go back there also.
Drop me a line when you're in CO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip RR   First longer trip RR Empty

Back to top Go down

First longer trip RR
Page 1 of 1