Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Digital 5-Function Volt meter install

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Boondocker

Boondocker

Digital 5-Function Volt meter install Empty
PostSubject: Digital 5-Function Volt meter install   Digital 5-Function Volt meter install EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 9:32 pm

Digital
5-Function Volt meter install on WR250R

Digital 5-Function Volt meter install 953976048_NU3Qt-M

I’ve had one of these gadgets on my V-Strom for a couple of years and really enjoy the thermometer and voltmeter (2 functions). Caution, these are not rated for outdoor use, even though they’re sold as motorcycle accessories. Go figure. Digital 5-Function Volt meter install Icon_scratch For $25, I can’t go wrong. Just because it’s worked well on my V-Strom doesn’t mean it’ll hold up under the pounding, dust, and more frequent washings that the R² is subjected to.

Since I already have the Eastern Beaver 3-circuit box installed and harnessed up to the steering head for my heated grips and Powerlet socket, wiring was easy. I have the 2-switched and 1-hot circuit combo. I had been running the socket switched, but that got old in a hurry because my GPS complained or would shutoff whenever I stopped and turned off the ignition, so I switched it to the hot circuit while I was wiring the gauge.

The gauge has 3 wires: hot, ground, and switched. Hot is so you can see your voltage at all times. The draw on the battery is negligible. The switched wire is for the 3 LED indicators and back lighting. Rather than bore you with the wiring details, let’s bore you with the gauge mounting details. One of the reasons I bought this unit is because I figured it could fit just above the stock gauge cluster, which as you can see, it does quite nicely.
Fits almost as if it was made for this spot.

Digital 5-Function Volt meter install 953969922_ngFgC-M

But how to mount it? You can’t go drilling holes and running screws into these components, but you can glue them! I ran a bead of Gorilla Glue™ and called it a night. View with the headlight shroud removed. P.S. After removing the headlight adjusting screws, I figured out that you don't have to that. Digital 5-Function Volt meter install 9356

Digital 5-Function Volt meter install 953929330_Fshbq-M

It needs some bracing though, and just like on the other bike, Legos™ to the rescue! I found couple of nearly right-angle jobbies in my son’s billions ‘o Lego stash. A little cutting and filing produce a flush fit with a ridge cutout that does the trick.

Digital 5-Function Volt meter install 953928706_4uqvr-M

Of course I’ll have to report back on the long-term durability…hopefully. Lego braces installed.

Digital 5-Function Volt meter install 953928073_wappi-M

If I bought this thing for volts and temp, what about the other 3 functions?
· Voltmeter
· Inside temperature
· Outside temperature
· Clock
· Timer
Forgive me if I fail to make the distinction between inside and outside temps on the motorcycle, still working on that.
A second clock reminds me of an ancient Chinese proverb.
Man with one watch always knows what time it is. Man with two watches never know what time it is.
The timer is more useless redundancy. I get my $25 worth out of the volt meter alone, the thermometer is a bonus. Unexpected, but I really enjoy the thermometer.
Rider's eye view
Digital 5-Function Volt meter install 953970723_PjNQE-M

That clear tube is my gasoline siphon hose for when I ride with KLRs Digital 5-Function Volt meter install 723941
The not-recommended radiator cap gauge is visible in this picture. Gauge whore.

P.S. If you can't see the pictures, it's a conspiracy I tell you!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: Digital 5-Function Volt meter install   Digital 5-Function Volt meter install EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 3:17 pm

Damn... I've had my eye on one of these for a while now. Did you do anything to protect it from rain on your V-Strom? I want to install one on mine, but I ride rain or shine and would hate to destroy it.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Re: Digital 5-Function Volt meter install   Digital 5-Function Volt meter install EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Mr.Metal wrote:
Damn... I've had my eye on one of these for a while now. Did you do anything to protect it from rain on your V-Strom? I want to install one on mine, but I ride rain or shine and would hate to destroy it.

There is a 1/4-inch diameter hole on the back of the gauge, not sure why. I glued a piece of plastic over it. The real answer though it that I carry a plastic baggie and some zip ties. If it rains or looks like it will, I cover it. I live in the desert, so rain is quite the exception.
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

PostSubject: Re: Digital 5-Function Volt meter install   Digital 5-Function Volt meter install EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 10:49 pm

Keep an eye on your battery voltage -- with the three wires wired up on hot, gnd, and ignition as in the directions, mine would drain the battery in 3 - 4 days if I didn't ride the bike. This bike has an itty bitty battery. It finally went TU after it got damp (no direct rain), so I disconnected all the wires. I picked it up for $5 from a friend, so I have no regrets.
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Digital 5-Function Volt meter install   Digital 5-Function Volt meter install EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 12:34 am

Did I miss it ? Where did you get this, I want one !! Digital 5-Function Volt meter install 525406
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Digital 5-Function Volt meter install   Digital 5-Function Volt meter install Empty

Back to top Go down

Digital 5-Function Volt meter install
Page 1 of 1