Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Homemade headlight guard

Go down 
+6
beer goggle
Captain Midnight
taoshum
Matty
greer
RimBenty
10 posters
AuthorMessage
RimBenty

RimBenty

Homemade headlight guard Empty
PostSubject: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 11:50 pm

After the headlight on my KTM was broken by a rock for the second time I decided I needed headlight guards on my bikes. After looking around at what was available, I decided to make my own and started with the WR since its headlight wasn’t broken yet.

I used some cardboard to make a template of the headlight opening and added tabs so I could use Velcro to hold it on. Then I used the template to mark a 3/16” Lexan sheet that I picked up at Home Depot. After cutting it out and smoothing the edges, I used a propane torch to heat up the plastic so I could bend the tabs back. On the first try the plastic came out with a wrinkle in it but the second time was satisfactory. This was actually fairly easy to make and pretty cheap too. Now I just need to find some blue Velcro.

Homemade headlight guard IMG_0724

Homemade headlight guard IMG_0725

Homemade headlight guard IMG_0730

Homemade headlight guard IMG_0743

Broken headlight

Homemade headlight guard IMG_0742
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 6:36 am

I did the same, 'cept I wasn't brave enough to try the tabs. I just velcroed mine to the lens, top and bottom.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 11:56 am

nice... i just used some 3m clear bra. so far so good.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:24 pm

Loctite makes some "clear" doublesided tape that would hold it with or without the tabs. Look for the red type plastic cover on the tape.
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 8:26 pm

taoshum wrote:
Loctite makes some "clear" doublesided tape that would hold it with or without the tabs. Look for the red type plastic cover on the tape.

I used the Velcro so it was easy to remove and clean, and in case there was an issue with a LEO or getting it inspected.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 12:28 am

Yea, the double sided tape would be a mess to remove... if the velcro is steady, why not...
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 5:39 pm

My friend cut a nice thick piece of Lexan, for a guard, and glued it right to the lens. A rock hit it, first time out, and broke the lens without hurting the Lexan. I guess he needed to space the Lexan out from the lens a little.
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 12:35 pm

[quote="RimBenty"][color=#eeece1][font=Calibri][color=#eeece1][color=#eeece1][font=Calibri]

[color=#eeece1][size=18][color=#eeece1][font=Calibri][color=#eeece1][color=#eeece1][font=Calibri]

After the headlight on my KTM was broken by a rock for the second time I decided I needed headlight guards on my bikes. After looking around at what was available, I decided to make my own and started with the WR since its headlight wasn’t broken yet.

I used some cardboard to make a template of the headlight opening and added tabs so I could use Velcro to hold it on.  Then I used the template to mark a 3/16” Lexan sheet that I picked up at Home Depot. After cutting it out and smoothing the edges, I used a propane torch to heat up the plastic so I could bend the tabs back. On the first try the plastic came out with a wrinkle in it but the second time was satisfactory.  This was actually fairly easy to make and pretty cheap too. Now I just need to find some blue Velcro.

Was cutting the Lexan easy? How and what did you use to cut it? I just picked up a sheet of it to do the same thing but I thought I saw somewhere that a special type of knife was needed to cut this stuff.

Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 2:04 pm

Nice, aint nothing better than some DIY action thumb

I made one using an old visor. I got the idea off a forum but I have no idea which or who it was. There's about 3mm gap between the screen & the lens which will hopefully be enough to protect from rocks etc...

Homemade headlight guard IMG_4452_zps94ee145a
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Do any of you know if you need any special cutting tools to cut Lexan? It's not expensive but I'd rather not have to go buy another sheet of it.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 7:16 am

WolfpackFBNS wrote:
Do any of you know if you need any special cutting tools to cut Lexan? It's not expensive but I'd rather not have to go buy another sheet of it.

use a medium pitch blade in a jig saw. cut at the "low" side of your available speed with a variable speed saw or the stock will melt as you cut and leave a huge burr hanging on the bottom edge of the cut... {in some cases "on high speed" the plastic will fuse back together just behind the cut}..so do not use high speed.
Be good if you can protect the stock from saw scrapes/damage by putting some type of masking tape over the surface the saw will sit on/.. or inverse cover the base of the saw with some kind of tape.. either way it will work.
When your done the blacksmith part of the rough cut ...belt sand the edges smooth ..again taking light cuts all the way around so as not to melt the plastic instead of sand it. I prefer to lay the belt sander on it's side clamped to a bench top with the belt running horizontally.. that way the sand operation is not as aggresive..

best of luck thumb
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 1:25 pm

rarepartbuilder wrote:
WolfpackFBNS wrote:

use a  medium pitch blade in a jig saw. cut at the "low" side of your available speed with a variable speed saw or the stock will melt as you cut and leave a huge burr hanging on the bottom edge of the cut... {in some cases "on high speed" the plastic will fuse back together just behind the cut}..so do not use high speed.
Be good if you can protect the stock from saw scrapes/damage by putting some type of masking tape over the surface the saw will sit on/.. or inverse cover the base of the saw with some kind of tape.. either way it will work.
When your done the blacksmith part of the rough cut ...belt sand the edges smooth ..again taking light cuts all the way around so as not to melt the plastic instead of sand it. I prefer to lay the belt sander on it's side clamped to a bench top with the belt running horizontally.. that way the sand operation is not as aggresive..

best of luck thumb

Cool Beans! I'll have to borrow a jig saw from my neighbor and give it a shot this weekend!
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 5:17 pm

I actually have access to a 3M product meant for protecting rotor blades on helicopters from debris, it is essentially a thick screen protector type product. It would be perfect for this or protecting the frame where your boots rub, it can be cut to shape easy enough with scissors then apply it with a heat gun or hair dryer and then its pretty much permanent after words but won't leave a residue if removed.

If people are interested I could probably share some of it, this is what it looks like its perfectly clear once the plastic that protects the adhesive is removed.

Homemade headlight guard Img_0022
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 10:24 pm

blusmoke wrote:
I actually have access to a 3M product meant for protecting rotor blades on helicopters from debris, it is essentially a thick screen protector type product. It would be perfect for this or protecting the frame where your boots rub, it can be cut to shape easy enough with scissors then apply it with a heat gun or hair dryer and then its pretty much permanent after words but won't leave a residue if removed.

If people are interested I could probably share some of it, this is what it looks like its perfectly clear once the plastic that protects the adhesive is removed.

Where did you get it from?
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 11:47 pm

My dad's in the aviation industry, deal Its probably similar to if not the same product as the 3M "clear bra" except that the rotor tape comes in different thicknesses.

I cut out a lens protector tonight it went on great, with just a couple air bubbles if I were to do it again I would try to use some water or something like the solution used to put a screen protector on a phone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade headlight guard   Homemade headlight guard Empty

Back to top Go down

Homemade headlight guard
Page 1 of 1