Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Homemade rear rack

Go down 
+8
PYG RYDR
Biglake
mcdoudlehopper
dtx
Coop
crazy_dave
Daamud
WRXsmv15
12 posters
AuthorMessage
WRXsmv15

WRXsmv15

Homemade rear rack  Empty
PostSubject: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Here's some pics of the rear rack I made for my wrx.

Only materials needed are 8 washers, longer bolts (same size as the original one's which hold on taillight assembly), 4 spacers, 1 cutting board in the desired length, width, color you want.

Homemade rear rack  IMG_20120528_110230

Homemade rear rack  IMG_20120528_115257

Homemade rear rack  IMG_20120528_152432

Homemade rear rack  IMG_20120601_190840

Homemade rear rack  IMG_20120601_190757

Homemade rear rack  IMG_20120601_190857

Homemade rear rack  IMG_20120601_190915
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 9:49 pm

Looks good.

Should have mounted it back a bit, so you can remove your seat.
Back to top Go down
WRXsmv15

WRXsmv15

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 6:36 pm

All I have to do to take the seat off is loosen the two bolts next to the seat and the seat comes right off and on
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 6:45 am

Get the f*ck outa here. You crafty sumbitch that looks great!
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 11:54 am

WRXsmv15 wrote:
All I have to do to take the seat off is loosen the two bolts next to the seat and the seat comes right off and on

Would have been easier to just mount it back 3/4" farther... Very happy

Just messing, looks good. Lots of threads about guys doing this in the luggage section. If I could find a black one locally I would probably make one.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Go to rockys and get allen head screws that have the tapered head and counter sink the heads for a flush fit. i just did this to a flat piece of alum plate for my rack,nice job !
Back to top Go down
WRXsmv15

WRXsmv15

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 11:11 pm

crazy_dave wrote:
Get the f*ck outa here. You crafty sumbitch that looks great!

Thanks man! thumb

Coop wrote:
WRXsmv15 wrote:

Would have been easier to just mount it back 3/4" farther... Very happy

Just messing, looks good. Lots of threads about guys doing this in the luggage section. If I could find a black one locally I would probably make one.

Haha I actually considered that, but I wanted to leave the Yamaha decal showing on the back and I hardly ever take the seat off. Got mine at Wal-Mart and they had some black colored cutting boards there!
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Homemade rear rack   Homemade rear rack  EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 10:28 pm

So I found this post today from WRXsmv15 and loved the idea he had for the rack. I thought it was such a good idea I had tyo make my own. I just happened to have a 2ft chunk of 3/4 inch cutting board. I actually got this from the grocery store. The butcher, (friend) said they have to change the cutting boards often because when they get cuts in them, they hold bacteria. So here is what I come up with.Homemade rear rack  Square10[/url [url=https://servimg.com/view/17274419/20]Homemade rear rack  Rufcut11Homemade rear rack  Sketch10Homemade rear rack  Cutout10Homemade rear rack  Gettin10Homemade rear rack  Mockup10 So I have lots of sanding to do yet and would really like to paint it black.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 6:56 pm

I made one of these out of a cutting board too it works great but it looks crude compared to yours lol.
It was quite easy to make, I may make a better looking one at some point.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 12:25 pm

spent couple more hours filing and sanding last night and decided I hate it. I used cutting board (Biglake) but it was 3/4 inch. I just hate that it is white. Gonna try some black dye. Maybe if I can get a little color, it will settle on me. Tried paint and it just scratches off. Anyone got ideas?
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 12:56 pm

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
spent couple more hours filing and sanding last night and decided I hate it. I used cutting board (Biglake) but it was 3/4 inch. I just hate that it is white. Gonna try some black dye. Maybe if I can get a little color, it will settle on me. Tried paint and it just scratches off. Anyone got ideas?

Put a bag on top with needed gear and go ride.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 7:45 pm

White looks good on my 2013 it has a white rear fender.
Truck box linner paint should stick and you wont scratch it at all.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Very nice.... Looks alot like ours.

We got some bolt-on "D" rings to mount on top, they hang down over the sides, and rattle a bit, but are very easily accessed for straps/bungies.
Back to top Go down
WRXsmv15

WRXsmv15

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 6:05 pm

mcdoudlehopper wrote:

Mine is painted with white Rustoleum Plastic Paint. I did it just to keep the cutting board from getting stained up from use. I used the rack all summer hauling my lunch back and forth to work everyday and have yet to have it chip. It has about a total of 5-6 coats of paint with 3 coats of clear, all done over a period of 2 days and then left alone to cure for an additional 2 days prior to mounting.

BTW, Nice job with the rack! thumb
Back to top Go down
unoR

unoR

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Nice work, I'm planning to grab a rear rack as well. Carrying a knapsack for cruises is ftl.
Back to top Go down
GunMetal87

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm working on making my own rack, going to try coating the cutting board with truck bed liner for some added durability.

Do you know what length bolts and spacers you got? should I just bring a stock bolt to the hardware store and guesstimate how much more length I'll need?
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 12:13 am

mine ended up like 3.5 or 4"
Back to top Go down
Pokey

Pokey

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 12:59 am

Very nice, I would want allot bigger than that though for my needs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade rear rack    Homemade rear rack  Empty

Back to top Go down

Homemade rear rack
Page 1 of 1