Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Leaky fork and a clutch problem

Go down 
+2
Mr.Metal
kjharn
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kjharn

kjharn

Leaky fork and a clutch problem Empty
PostSubject: Leaky fork and a clutch problem   Leaky fork and a clutch problem EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:53 pm

Posted this in "What Broke", but this forum seems to get way more traffic. Sorry in advance, mods, if this is inappropriate.

Hey guys, I posted this in the wr thread on ADV as well, but figured I may as well post it here, too!

I have a couple issues that have me scratching my head....

#1- Leaky left fork seal. It's been doing this since my hillclimb gone (way) bad. I assumed there was debris in there, so I took a slice out of a two liter and used this to molest the fork seal, rotating it around the fork several times. I repeated this three times, and went for a ride. Previously, fork oil would leak pretty quickly, filling up the joint by the brake caliper within a mile or two. This time it took about 10 miles, but it still leaks, albeit quite a lot slower. It still concerns me though. Does anyone have any suggestions for another way to clean out the seal?

#2- This is the more pressing matter. Also since the hill climb, every once in a while (in first or second gear), I let the clutch out, and it doesn't disengage until wayyyy far out. I have my clutch adjusted so that it lets out within an inch of the bar, but when it does this, it's more like 3-4 inches, for no reason. It's nearly fucked me over a few times.... Also, sometimes it's really really hard to shift into first from neutral. I have to shift into second, then kick it into first with a bit of force. Not sure if these are related, but maybe you all will be able to help me diagnose the issue.

Thanks in advance, you guys are the best.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: Leaky fork and a clutch problem   Leaky fork and a clutch problem EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 7:05 pm

1) Not sure, someone else can probably help you here.

2) If it's happening since a fall, naturally it's safe to assume something got bent (or broken). First thing I would do is double-check the cable. Make sure it's not kinked anywhere or crushed, and make sure it can move freely in the cable guide. If all of that seems fine, check where the cable connects to the clutch (bottom end). Make sure all that looks good. If it does, perhaps something went bad inside the clutch. I believe taking out the plates is a pretty easy job (but you'll have to dump the oil first, since we have wet clutches). Maybe the plates got messed up or are binding?
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Leaky fork and a clutch problem   Leaky fork and a clutch problem EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Mr.Metal wrote:
1) Not sure, someone else can probably help you here.

2) If it's happening since a fall, naturally it's safe to assume something got bent (or broken). First thing I would do is double-check the cable. Make sure it's not kinked anywhere or crushed, and make sure it can move freely in the cable guide. If all of that seems fine, check where the cable connects to the clutch (bottom end). Make sure all that looks good. If it does, perhaps something went bad inside the clutch. I believe taking out the plates is a pretty easy job (but you'll have to dump the oil first, since we have wet clutches). Maybe the plates got messed up or are binding?

Thank you! I'll check for kinks and the like tomorrow. It's really an interesting feeling... It's like something is pushing back at my fingers. I don't want it anymore haha
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Leaky fork and a clutch problem   Leaky fork and a clutch problem EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 11:38 pm

Try using a piece of film negative if you can find some. It's thinner than the pop bottles and you might be able to get in there a bit better. Leaky fork and a clutch problem 61865

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Leaky fork and a clutch problem   Leaky fork and a clutch problem EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 4:39 pm

Thanks for the suggestion SheWolf! It didn't work though. I took that negative, shoved it up there, worked it up and down and around the entire fork several times and it's still leaking. Am I missing a step here? GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Leaky fork and a clutch problem   Leaky fork and a clutch problem EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 7:11 am

Same thing happened to me, turns out a gravel ding in the fork tube cut the seal. My husband smoothed it out with a polishing stone, you can't tell it was ever there. We followed the video on the Rocky Mtn ATV site and replaced the seals ourselves without too much trouble.

Sarah

Added note: We don't have a fork seal driver, just used a wide blunt screwdriver and tapped round and round nice and easy to set the new seal. From what I've read, lots of folks use a piece of PVC pipe as a driver.

Last edited by greer on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Leaky fork and a clutch problem   Leaky fork and a clutch problem EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 7:19 am

That's some good advice.

It simply sounds like you need to replace the leaking oil seal and inspect the fork tubes for damage while doing it.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Leaky fork and a clutch problem   Leaky fork and a clutch problem EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 9:49 am

+100

Never done any of that stuff myself, but I have 2 friends that replaced leaky seals only to have to do it all over again cause they didn't check for little dings on the forks.

*Ok one of the guys wasn't a friend, hated him.
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Leaky fork and a clutch problem   Leaky fork and a clutch problem EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks for the advice on the fork seal guys. I'll give it one more shot at cleaning the bugger out, and checking for dings... After that I'll have the dealership replace the left fork budah

I figured out the clutch problem... Feel a bit silly, actually. Switched from the stock bars to Protaper ATV Mid bend bars, and the difference in contour was enough to make the cable snag on the little grey piece of steel that forms a loop by the steering head. I remedied this by taking a chisel and giving the loop a few good whacks. Removed the loop, and ziptied the cables together... Good as new. Ish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaky fork and a clutch problem   Leaky fork and a clutch problem Empty

Back to top Go down

Leaky fork and a clutch problem
Page 1 of 1