Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Possible new shifter for our bikes

Go down 
+4
mordicai
mrgeoff
silentwolf
john92
8 posters
AuthorMessage
john92

Possible new shifter for our bikes Empty
PostSubject: Possible new shifter for our bikes   Possible new shifter for our bikes EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 4:41 pm

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=wr250x+shift&_sacat=0&_dmpt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&_odkw=wr250x+shifter&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

This link should show the search. It appears that MSR is selling shifters for our bikes now but they only list it for WR250X. I know that would fit the R & X but it just seems weird. I bent my Driven shifter and was debating between getting another or trying one of these. Anybody else get one yet?
Back to top Go down
silentwolf

silentwolf

PostSubject: Re: Possible new shifter for our bikes   Possible new shifter for our bikes EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 8:47 am

Litttle bump.

I've seen a few pics of these on WRRs. Any good points? Complaints? Comparison to the Driven lever?

From what I can tell there's a slightly different bend between the Driven, the MSR and Stock... In the the end the cost goes to MSR.

I don't have money to burn, but debating buying both to see...

Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: Possible new shifter for our bikes   Possible new shifter for our bikes EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 2:31 pm

Oh, the Driven one looks nice.... I really dont need it... do I?
Back to top Go down
silentwolf

silentwolf

PostSubject: Re: Possible new shifter for our bikes   Possible new shifter for our bikes EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 3:25 pm

mrgeoff wrote:
Oh, the Driven one looks nice.... I really dont need it... do I?

Need? scratch Unless it's broken, we probably don't need half the things we buy for these beautiful beasts...

However, if the passion for your bike is as twisted as my own... Then this is really just seeking perfection disguised as need.

Perfection at your left big toe that is. wink

My stocker has been bent enough times to say maybe something different is needed. I read somewhere that the Driven is better for MX feel, and of course the stock lever is steel, so it could be bent back out in the middle of nowhere... I've heard good and bad about the Driven, but nothing to speak of about the MSR. I'd like to consider that if they have slightly different characteristics, (knob size. length, angle) then it would be worthwhile to keep the stocker as my spare and try the other two.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Possible new shifter for our bikes   Possible new shifter for our bikes EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 5:52 pm

I had trouble shifting with my new boots with the stock shifter. The adjustment was either to low or two high. The Driven positions the shifter at a position that works well for me and can't be obtained with stock.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Possible new shifter for our bikes   Possible new shifter for our bikes EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 6:08 pm

I would stick with the stock steel shifter. If it bends, you can bend it back without much issue. Those aluminum shifters will bend easily. The problem with that is, once aluminum bends, it almost always breaks when trying to bend it back. If by chance it doesn't, it's severely weakened and will break the next time.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Possible new shifter for our bikes   Possible new shifter for our bikes EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 6:32 pm

trav72 wrote:
I would stick with the stock steel shifter. If it bends, you can bend it back without much issue. Those aluminum shifters will bend easily. The problem with that is, once aluminum bends, it almost always breaks when trying to bend it back. If by chance it doesn't, it's severely weakened and will break the next time.

If I was going to be doing a lot of offroad riding I would put the stock shifter back on. A much better way to go as trav72 says. Right now my x is pretty much a road bike with pretty easy offroad stuff, do I use the driven for the easier shifting it gives me.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Possible new shifter for our bikes   Possible new shifter for our bikes EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:22 pm

My driven shifter was bent back once or twice without breaking. It also stripped at its splines after ~15k of use and nearly left me stranded in the middle of the Ozarks if I hadn't have brought a spare (stock) shifter with me. No thanks, I'll stick with stock.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Possible new shifter for our bikes   Possible new shifter for our bikes EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:27 pm

skierd wrote:
My driven shifter was bent back once or twice without breaking. It also stripped at its splines after ~15k of use and nearly left me stranded in the middle of the Ozarks if I hadn't have brought a spare (stock) shifter with me. No thanks, I'll stick with stock.

and that would be another reason I wouldn't want an aluminum shifter.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: Possible new shifter for our bikes   Possible new shifter for our bikes EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 12:25 am

that driven lever is sex. god dam farkles, my bank account is getting sad.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket brake lever? i cant adjust the stock one low enough to where i like it.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Possible new shifter for our bikes   Possible new shifter for our bikes EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 7:38 am

spacecadet wrote:
that driven lever is sex. god dam farkles, my bank account is getting sad.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket brake lever? i cant adjust the stock one low enough to where i like it.

Buying a shorter clevis on the back or grinding down the clevis nut so it's thinner will help lower the rear brake lever.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Shifter   Possible new shifter for our bikes EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 8:12 am

Have to agree with Skierd--I'm sticking with stock as my spare for the TAT. Just orderd one today as a matter of fact--only a couple of $ more than the aftermarket ones and I know it will work in the middle of Moab if I need it--where I was when I bent and broke the last shift lever.

skierd wrote:
Back to top Go down
silentwolf

silentwolf

PostSubject: Re: Possible new shifter for our bikes   Possible new shifter for our bikes EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 8:32 am

Ok, so far Driven by conjecture... Suspect

No one with some time on the MSR?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible new shifter for our bikes   Possible new shifter for our bikes Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible new shifter for our bikes
Page 1 of 1