Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Anybody got a Versys?

Go down 
+4
X-Racer
ZED
deerHater
michael21
8 posters
AuthorMessage
michael21

Anybody got a Versys? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody got a Versys?   Anybody got a Versys? EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 8:08 pm

So after commuting on my bike for a few weeks I have come to the conclusion that maybe I need something to compliment the X. It does great up till about 55 then above that it can get sketchy. The speed limit on the interstate is 70 and sometimes it can get a nice little headshake going on. I was looking at the Wee-strom, Versys, or a Triumph Tiger and think that the Versys would be a good companion for the X. Anybody got one and if so how do you like it and is it to similar to the WR250. I want to make my next bike one that I can commute with as well as make 400 mile trips to see the family.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Anybody got a Versys?   Anybody got a Versys? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 7:40 am

michael21 wrote:
So after commuting on my bike for a few weeks I have come to the conclusion that maybe I need something to compliment the X. It does great up till about 55 then above that it can get sketchy. The speed limit on the interstate is 70 and sometimes it can get a nice little headshake going on. I was looking at the Wee-strom, Versys, or a Triumph Tiger and think that the Versys would be a good companion for the X. Anybody got one and if so how do you like it and is it to similar to the WR250. I want to make my next bike one that I can commute with as well as make 400 mile trips to see the family.
I have a Triumph 675 street triple - super engine. But it's a naked bike, might be a little tiring on long interstate rides. Last year over 2 days I did 815 Interstate miles on mine, but that was with a tweeked right shoulder and in get-me-home-NOW mode after I hit a deer; I was a very grumpy biker! budah Triumph will soon release a new Tiger-like bike with that engine stroked to 800.

Couple of weeks ago 5 of us did a 325 mile day, almost all back roads but a little Interstate. Guy on the Versys kept up on all roads and had no complaints (10 hour ride including the stops.)

A coworker has a Wee-Strom and loves it. If you get that you'll have a Wee Stable: a Wee-Strom and a Wee'Tard. Very happy

However, I've had my X up to indicated 86 (probably 75) mph on 'Interstate' with zero head shake.
You may want to check:
- tire pressures, front & back
- tire balance, f & b.
- stearing head bearings
- wheel bearings (although I doubt that would induce head shake)

Even if you do work out your head shake, 400 miles on a 250 at its maximum HP output would be tiring for me. I would prefer to make it 2 days and 600 miles on Back Roads. Period. (Tm) So much more fun!

And having multiple bikes is great, if one is sidelined waiting for backordered parts you have a spare bike! thumb
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Anybody got a Versys?   Anybody got a Versys? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 11:25 am

Yeah, the little bugger isn't really cut out for doing much over 55mph. The handling is still fine though. The only time I've had it get twitchy with a bit of head shake was during hard accelerations on loose rock.

I haven't had the chance to try the Versys, but the thing looks like it would be pretty good for both commuting and touring duty.
Back to top Go down
michael21

PostSubject: Re: Anybody got a Versys?   Anybody got a Versys? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:28 pm

The head shake is only really a problem when you get some truck blast or something like that. Its not normally a problem. I have had it up to about 90 indicated and felt pretty stable. I know I wasn't going 90 though, just got my Speedo DRD yesterday and am going to install it today. I just need something for the trips to work or the grocery store and something that has a decent amount of storage space. I am intrigued by the new Triumph 800's though but it will probably be out of my budget. The 1050's are somewhat appealling but for the price of the Versys its hard to pass it up. I have to step litely with my wife though. I have 4 other bikes sitting in the garage and we just moved so price is of the importance. Plus I want somehting that is still kind of sporty, not ready for a Goldwing or a Concours/FJR just yet.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Anybody got a Versys?   Anybody got a Versys? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 3:09 pm

There is no substitution for CCs on the open road. Period....
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Anybody got a Versys?   Anybody got a Versys? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:25 am

Tha Kaw and Suz are good bikes. I had the wee and loved it, good bike for just about everything and hard to kill. I would get the wee...

I only sold it to buy a Van so I have a place to sleep, shower, dress, go potty, and get the bike to the races. Love the Van but really miss the DL in a big way. The WR will go this winter and I'll pick up a WR F or a KTM to race..
Back to top Go down
michael21

PostSubject: Re: Anybody got a Versys?   Anybody got a Versys? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Its going to be a tough call for a bike. I rode the X to work today and its not as bad as I was making it sound last week. I think it will be fine for now but a bike that has real hard luggage and can make a 400 mile trip will be in the not so distant future. Just don't tell me wife.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Anybody got a Versys?   Anybody got a Versys? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:25 pm

V-Strom over the Versys anyday.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Anybody got a Versys?   Anybody got a Versys? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:42 pm

I own both the Vstrom and the X and I don't have any problem travelling with the X if any lenght of the travel is on the trail.

9,000km on both this summer. What the X lacks for comfort it gives it back with agility and fun. It zips through traffic and makes my 50km to work enjoyable.

I must say that I don't try to win races but I don't like be the slow one either.
Back to top Go down
manganos

PostSubject: Re: Anybody got a Versys?   Anybody got a Versys? EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 7:33 pm

gatorfan wrote:
V-Strom over the Versys anyday.

BS I'll take my Versys ANYDAY.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody got a Versys?   Anybody got a Versys? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody got a Versys?
Page 1 of 1