Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Kawasaki Versys

Go down 
+5
emdavis197
mollycbr123
CSAW
Berwyn Henderson
gatorfan
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gatorfan

gatorfan

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 6:14 am

Anybody have an opinion on the Kawi Versys as a day tripper (slap only) bike?

Been doing 3-6 hour slab rides 'bout once per week and and the R2 is coming up short. The rides involve a lot of 70-80 mph on empty county roads thru the post apocalyptic waste land which is rural North Central Florida. It'll kill me to sell my beloved R2 but .......
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 7:01 pm

I put 10 to12 thousand miles on one. Should never sold it. It don't care how fast you want to go, it does it soooo easy. The motor is what has been winning PRO dirt track races lately. It will run fine on e-85 if you wish. I have nothing bad to say about this bike. Berwyn
Back to top Go down
CSAW

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 7:09 pm

I rode one when they first came out. I liked it a lot. However I didn't get to do any slab with it. I think that or a Wee would do the job. Would have to do better than a 250. I have a 800XC which does slab real well. However it's another 150cc and a few more dollars. But it is a joy to ride.

Daytona Bike week demo rides are is in a couple weeks. Come down to the speedway and take one for a ride. Get there early though.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 7:51 pm

CSAW wrote:

Daytona Bike week demo rides are is in a couple weeks. Come down to the speedway and take one for a ride.  Get there early though.

Really? Can you test ride anything down there?
Back to top Go down
CSAW

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 8:42 pm

gatorfan wrote:
CSAW wrote:

Daytona Bike week demo rides are is in a couple weeks. Come down to the speedway and take one for a ride.  Get there early though.

Lots of things.

Pretty much the entire Kawasaki line.

Same goes for Suzuki

Yamaha doesn't let you ride the WR but pretty much anything else. I plan to try the new FJR this year.

Honda backed out a couple years ago but hope they start the demos again. Still have everything on display.

Harley lets you ride anything.

Victory everything.

Boss Hoss but you have to pay.

Indian does also. I think.

Triumph backed out a couple years ago.

Triumph, BMW at the dealer.

I believe Ducati sets up at the dealer and gives rides.

The rides are quite spirited and you will get to run the bikes.

You have to get there early and get a reservation. They will only book the same day rides. Week days are better.

I think they start making reservations about 8:00 but the lines start before that. I usually go to what I want to ride first. Make a reservation for a little later ride then go get in another line. Kaw. Yam. and Honda (when they did it) fill up the fastest. Then Suzuki. Harley and Victory is no problem getting a ride. Victory not that popular and Harley does it a little different and have tons of bikes there.

Youtube "daytona bike week demo rides"

Rides usually 8-10 miles and speeds up to......never mind.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 10:06 pm

^^^ That's great. Only 1 hour away and never knew that.
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 11:57 pm

CSAW wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
CSAW wrote:

Any Ducati dealer will give test rides most any time.  They get models in the dealerships that are strictly demos.  When the next year models come out, they will sell the demo bikes.  I have bought a couple of them over the years.  Negotiable price, low miles, full warranty.

Speaking of the Versys, a friend of mine had one a few years ago, and we would often compare it to my 1200 Multistrada.  He called his Versys his poor man's Multi.  The bikes were actually very similar, although there was no questioning which one had the Ohlins suspension.  The Versys is a great bike for the price, and will easily do miles on the slab quite comfortably.
Back to top Go down
CSAW

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 11:14 am

mollycbr123 wrote:
CSAW wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
CSAW wrote:

Any Ducati dealer will give test rides most any time.  They get models in the dealerships that are strictly demos.

True. Our local dealer is Triumph, BMW, Husky and Ducati.

What I was speaking of is the factory truck is/was there with lots of bikes to ride. Like the other brands do at the speedway. The BMW and Triumph rides are now through the dealer and very short. I know other dealers will let you take better rides.

BTW love the Multi. Test rode one twice before deciding on the Tiger, it just didn't fit me (physically) no matter how much I wanted it to. They are a hoot though.
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 12:04 pm

CSAW wrote:
mollycbr123 wrote:
CSAW wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
CSAW wrote:

Any Ducati dealer will give test rides most any time.  They get models in the dealerships that are strictly demos.

True.  Our local dealer is Triumph, BMW, Husky and Ducati.

What I was speaking of is the factory truck is/was there with lots of bikes to ride.  Like the other brands do at the speedway.  The BMW and Triumph rides are now through the dealer and very short.  I know other dealers will let you take better rides.

BTW love the Multi.  Test rode one twice before deciding on the Tiger, it just didn't fit me (physically) no matter how much I wanted it to.  They are a hoot though.

I know.  Just making conversation really...

I'm on my third multi now.  I had an 1100 air cooled for a few years, and am now on my second 1200.  I haven't found another bike that can do what it does.  My first test ride on the 1200 sold me.  I was in South Carolina on a  trip when the clutch line blew on my 1100.  Had to have it towed to Sport Touring BMW/Duc in Greenville for repairs.  While I waited on my bike to get fixed, I asked if I could take a ride on one of the brand new 1200s they had.  The salesguy tossed me the key and said have a good time!  I was heading back to the dealership on this thing, going down an entrance ramp onto the beltline.  I looked back and saw traffic approaching, so I grabbed a big handful of throttle, and next thing I knew, the front wheel was in the air at 70 mph!  Not exactly what I had intended, but I remember thinking, Man, this is the bike for me.  I traded in my 1100 the next week, and haven't looked back since.  I think the new KTM may give the multi some competition from reading the mag articles, but not for me.
Back to top Go down
emdavis197

emdavis197

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Versys   Kawasaki Versys  EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 1:21 pm

I currently have a 2009 Versys that I bought new in the crate in spring of 2011, and got a super sweet deal on it. I've only got about 15,000 miles on it, but it has been trouble free. The engine is good, it is the same power plant as the Ninja 650, just tuned more for torque and a little less top-end. I'd say it is slightly vibey compared to a larger touring bike, but you get used to it quickly. Highway miles come easy. The ergos are super comfortable. I lowered my footpegs 3/4 inch and installed 3/4 " handlebar risers. Stock seat is good for about 2 hours, and then you start getting sore in the rear. I have an air-hawk butt pad that I use for longer rides. Easy to remove when not needed, and an excellent addition when you want it. I also have the GIVI tall windscreen, wide foot pegs and Nelson-Rigg soft luggage on it. I wouldn't hesitate to take it across country if I can ever find the time! :)

Kawasaki Versys  Versys

In this shot you can see the footpeg lowering blocks and the airhawk seat:
Kawasaki Versys  289240_2364006975377_306191367_o

Back to top Go down
emdavis197

emdavis197

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Versys   Kawasaki Versys  EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Here's another shot of me and a few buddies (2 sport bikes, a HD Sportster, and a BMW R1200GS (out of frame) getting an early-morning start to an all-day ride through the mountains of Western NC.

Kawasaki Versys  322644_2363856971627_1462838654_o

Back to top Go down
CSAW

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 3:45 pm

emdavis197 wrote:
Here's another shot of me and a few buddies (2 sport bikes, a HD Sportster, and a BMW R1200GS (out of frame) getting an early-morning start to an all-day ride through the mountains of Western NC.

Kawasaki Versys  322644_2363856971627_1462838654_o

When I first saw that pic I thought it was Waynesville NC but then realized it was not the station I thought. We go to Waynesville area every October to and spend two weeks riding. Always hate coming back to Florida. Have added the WR so will be taking that this year also. Wayehutta park is not far from where we stay. Can't wait to ride on something other than sugar sand.
Back to top Go down
emdavis197

emdavis197

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 4:50 pm

CSAW wrote:

When I first saw that pic I thought it was Waynesville NC but then realized it was not the station I thought.  We go to Waynesville area every October to and spend two weeks riding.  Always hate coming back to Florida.  Have added the WR so will be taking that this year also.  Wayehutta park is not far from where we stay.  Can't wait to ride on something other than sugar sand.

This is in Mooresville, NC, also known as Race City USA.  Lots of NASCAR teams live and work here.  This particular petrol stop is off of I-77, Exit 33, a mile or so from Lake Norman.  This was the start / end point of our day trip.  A lot of good slab riding in NC.

The Versys is fully capable on the freeway, but where it shines most is twisty two-lane.

-Eric
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 5:52 pm

CSAW wrote:
Can't wait to ride on something other than sugar sand.

Haul to Georgia like me.

Everybody -- thanks for all the Versys input.
Back to top Go down

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 4:56 pm

If you're thinking new, look at the Yamaha FZ-09, 850cc triple. It might be less $$ than the Versys. I sat on one and if feels like a dirt bike - 400 lb and 100 hp yeehaaa!.

I am selling the Weestrom and probably getting the FZ-09.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 5:38 pm

dhally wrote:
If you're thinking new, look at the Yamaha FZ-09, 850cc triple.  

FZ09 > 105 HP
Versys > 60 HP

Apples and Oranges to me. I'm not looking for a fire breather like the FZ.

Back to top Go down
CSAW

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 8:08 pm

gatorfan wrote:
CSAW wrote:
Can't wait to ride on something other than sugar sand.

Haul to Georgia like me.

Where in Georgia do you haul it?
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 9:03 pm

CSAW wrote:

Where in Georgia do you haul it?

Durhamtown Plantation and Highland Park

I did a review of these parks some time ago here >>> Off Road Park Review

I've been to both parks several times since the review so feel free to pimp me for info. They are an absolute blast!!
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 5:46 pm

Hey gatorfan, You want a fire breather sport bike? Try a 1050 tiger triumph. They will take a back seat to no one. They do cost money to insure insure tho. It takes a higher priced 1200cc to beat them. Berwyn
Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Versys 650...Great bike.

Honda-like finish and fun to ride.

Good travel, decent suspension (once dialed in), and comfy out of the box (at 6-0).

Bought a black one new in 2012.

Big fun (good low/mid range) in stock form for a 650 twin.

She doesn't need to know that I'm flirting with another...since test riding a 2014 Ninja 1000 at Daytona couple of weeks ago. Still grin thinking about that one. -Scott
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks rider. Yea, I'm pretty much sold on the Versys taking over road duty for the R2. Dirt duty has been handed off to the WR250F.

I plan on making the switch as soon as Uncle Sam stops using my scrotum for a speed bag.
Back to top Go down
CSAW

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 8:02 pm

So did you get it? I was in Gainseville today and saw what appeared to be a brand spankin new red one. Just askin because I don't see them that often. BUT, on the way home I saw another one in Port Orange. Go figure.

Won't see another one for months.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 8:29 pm

CSAW wrote:
So did you get it?  

Not yet. File the following under First World Problems.

Was set to swap the R2 for the Versys but now want to swap my WR250F (trail) for an MX bike. Don't think I can afford to do both at once so I'm on the fence as to which to do first.

Swapping both at the same time would set me back about 4- 5K. Mrs. Gatorfan would murder me in my sleep.

Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyMon May 26, 2014 7:09 pm

gatorfan wrote:
CSAW wrote:
So did you get it?  

Was set to swap the R2 for the Versys but now want to swap my WR250F (trail) for an MX bike. Don't think I can afford to do both at once so I'm on the fence as to which to do first.

Swapping both at the same time would set me back about 4- 5K. Mrs. Gatorfan would murder me in my sleep.

Champions in Leesburg has a clean green 09 with bags. Not sure of the price, but it's been there for a long time. They're probably motivated.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  EmptyMon May 26, 2014 8:09 pm

rider213 wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
CSAW wrote:
So did you get it?  

Champions in Leesburg has a clean green 09 with bags. Not sure of the price, but it's been there for a long time. They're probably motivated.

I test rode that bike a few months ago!! The IRS raped me and I'm still sore. Thanks though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kawasaki Versys  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kawasaki Versys    Kawasaki Versys  Empty

Back to top Go down

Kawasaki Versys
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next