Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

*Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints

Go down 
+4
WRoldman
motokid
inspector
BWA
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BWA

BWA

*Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints Empty
PostSubject: *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints   *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 4:59 pm

This is motorcycle related, so didn't put it in Off Topic...

Figured this fits here best, being for street legal tards and all.

Please take a few minutes to fill out the rapid-response form at the below link to suspend funding and implementation of a planned increase in motorcycle only checkpoints.

http://www.ama-cycle.org/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

Click on the first link on the page for the NHTSA bill, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the "TAKE ACTION" link
It only takes couple of minutes and really makes a difference!! deal
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints   *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 10:05 pm

ok.

*I really need to start taking more responsibility.
Back to top Go down
BWA

BWA

PostSubject: Re: *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints   *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 am

inspector wrote:
ok.

*I really need to start taking more responsibility.

We could use more riders to do that thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints   *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 12:09 pm

Where does something define what "they" are "checking" for?

Are they trying to find uninsured, or unlicensed riders? Stolen bikes? What's the check point checking for?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
BWA

BWA

PostSubject: Re: *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints   *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 1:32 pm

motokid wrote:
Where does something define what "they" are "checking" for?

Are they trying to find uninsured, or unlicensed riders? Stolen bikes? What's the check point checking for?

The ends do not justify the means. It really doesn't matter what the checkpoint is checking for. Either pull everyone over, random, or not at all. Otherwise its discrimination.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints   *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 1:56 pm

I understand the descrimination part - what I can't find is what they are looking for.

I've never been pulled over just for being on a motorcycle.

What are they checking for?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints   *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Done thumb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints   *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 8:01 pm

motokid wrote:
I understand the descrimination part - what I can't find is what they are looking for.

I've never been pulled over just for being on a motorcycle.

What are they checking for?
anything to write you a ticket on. It's basically a way to bully motorcyclists and it's already happening here in canada. I was out on a group ride and we got pulled in, for no reason at all. We were not speeding, not doing anything stupid or wrong. The cops simply checked over all our papers and our bikes with a fine tooth comb, looking for anything to ticket. I got a ticket for aftermarket turn signals on my R1, which is a pretty silly considering that I installed them because they are BRIGHTER than stock and for my own safety. We get a lot of turn signal and missing reflector tickets, noise tickets, they even threatened to ticket a friend of mine who has a fake pony tail stuck on the back of her helmet, because apparently it was a modification that voided the DOT certification.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints   *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 8:43 pm

Here in some citites they check the mufflers.

They often discriminate the trucks because of the weight and they also check the log books.

It's not all form of discrimination that is wrong. We all discriminate one way or another. Personnaly I discriminate political parties. I get involved only with one.deal

I also discriminate all women in favor of my beloved. wink

I think there are checkpoints for the motorcycles in area where there are a lot of complaints related to motorcycles.

The best way to prevent these check points is to always be civilised. Having fun without imposing our fun on the people that don't share it. Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints   *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 10:59 pm

BWA wrote:
Please take a few minutes to fill out the rapid-response form at the below link to suspend funding and implementation of a planned increase in motorcycle only checkpoints.

http://www.ama-cycle.org/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp
Yet again, unconstitutional government gone wild. There might be an argument to be made this is constitutional if one could make an effective case that motorcycles are overwhelmingly being operated in an unsafe condition, and therefore putting others at risk. This is the justification that is used in both Canada and the US to run drinking driving checkstops. In both countries, the courts have acknowledged this stop and check without probable cause amounts to an infringement on the individual's liberty; however, their ruling is that the infringement is so minor and transitory that the good for society in general outweighs the infringement on individual liberty.

Whether you agree with that or not, a checkstop that targets motorcycles to write tickets for non-standard turn signals and other tickets that have to have the chicken feathers blown off them certainly does not meet that standard. I have no doubt a good traffic man could go over a 100 cars and a 100 motorcycles and write more tickets on the vehicles than they ever could on the motorcycles.

So if it is about vehicles that don't conform with regulations, why not concentrate on cars and light trucks first?

And if it is about the safety of others on the road, why not concentrate on commercial trucks, first. Back in my law enforcement days, the number of trucks we found to be 100% according to the Act was almost statistically insignificant - checking a truck whose slack adjusters didn't look like they'd been touched in a year was not unusual.

Law enforcement agencies seldom dream up this sort of thing - they generally have better things to do with their time. Invariably, it is bureaucrats and nosy nanny staters who start these sort of focused activities, generally against people they don't like or whose lifestyle they don't agree with.

By all means follow the AMA lead on this. But the real core to dealing with issues like this is to identify the clown/clowns who came up with the idea and are pushing it. You'll be surprised where that trail leads quite often...
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints   *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 9:09 am

twowheeled wrote:
anything to write you a ticket on. It's basically a way to bully motorcyclists and it's already happening here in canada. I was out on a group ride and we got pulled in, for no reason at all. We were not speeding, not doing anything stupid or wrong. The cops simply checked over all our papers and our bikes with a fine tooth comb, looking for anything to ticket. I got a ticket for aftermarket turn signals on my R1, which is a pretty silly considering that I installed them because they are BRIGHTER than stock and for my own safety. We get a lot of turn signal and missing reflector tickets, noise tickets, they even threatened to ticket a friend of mine who has a fake pony tail stuck on the back of her helmet, because apparently it was a modification that voided the DOT certification.
Where?
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints   *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Email sent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints   *Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints Empty

Back to top Go down

*Take Action* Stop Motorcycle Only Checkpoints
Page 1 of 1