Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

chain life extention !

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
triker

chain life extention ! Empty
PostSubject: chain life extention !   chain life extention ! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 1:02 am

being cheap i turn my sprockets around and the chain around, (when considerable wear is evident ) so the drive surfaces now become the coast, and the coast now becomes the drive side. when you're a long way from home with wearing-out parts it prolongs the agony of replacement!, and i can get another few k miles with only a bit more noise to contend with. i used to work on dozers, etc, and it,s normal practice to 'turn' the pins in the track and get a lot more life out of a very expensive 'chain' ( which is what a track is), yeah, i know if you are running an endless chain it ai'nt easy to turn it inside out and backwards , it's a little harder! triker
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: chain life extention !   chain life extention ! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 12:02 pm

Haha, that's funny....in a good way.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: chain life extention !   chain life extention ! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 8:29 pm

why do you have to mess with the chain... don't those rollers turn all the time? I can "see" the logic in the sprockets, at least the front sprocket. The aft sprocket only goes one way, no?

A front sprocket costs $15... if I take the time to do this into consideration, I'm gonna install a new one and be done with it.

?
Back to top Go down
triker

PostSubject: chain life extention   chain life extention ! EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 3:30 pm

hey taoshum, i said i was cheap, the rollers turn the pins don't, cut open an old worn chain and the pins only drive on one small surface, turning the chain around presents a brand new surface to the rollers. turning the sprockets over doesn't present much of a problem even if they are recessed or chamfered, with the 'limited' amount of torque of the wr as long as the bolts are properly tightened they ain't gonna break. i did this routine in baja this spring when i noticed my rear alluminum (yeah i know better) sprocket started showing signs of wear, with no 15$ sprockets closer than san diego, 900 miles north, it got me back to phoenix and i'm still running em. this ain't gonna put the chain companies outa bizz but if your a long way from mommy and your on line chain supplier you just might make it home without the annoying sound of the chain slipping over the bumps that used to be teeth! hugs triker (ps, don't you EVER let me hear that you replace either sprocket or chain and not all three!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: chain life extention !   chain life extention ! EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 2:25 am

I did this with my race bikes too, same with flipping tires backwards. Some people will call you crazy, but if it works it works.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: chain life extention !   chain life extention ! EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 4:46 am

I always flip front tires. Glad to read about the sprocket/chain trick.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: chain life extention !   chain life extention ! EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 8:35 pm

triker wrote:
hey taoshum, i said i was cheap, the rollers turn the pins don't, cut open an old worn chain and the pins only drive on one small surface, turning the chain around presents a brand new surface to the rollers. turning the sprockets over doesn't present much of a problem even if they are recessed or chamfered, with the 'limited' amount of torque of the wr as long as the bolts are properly tightened they ain't gonna break. i did this routine in baja this spring when i noticed my rear alluminum (yeah i know better) sprocket started showing signs of wear, with no 15$ sprockets closer than san diego, 900 miles north, it got me back to phoenix and i'm still running em. this ain't gonna put the chain companies outa bizz but if your a long way from mommy and your on line chain supplier you just might make it home without the annoying sound of the chain slipping over the bumps that used to be teeth! hugs triker (ps, don't you EVER let me hear that you replace either sprocket or chain and not all three!)

good pt... I'm gonna try it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: chain life extention !   chain life extention ! Empty

Back to top Go down

chain life extention !
Page 1 of 1