Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How often do you change your fork oil ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bgunn

Bgunn

How often do you change your fork oil ? Empty
PostSubject: How often do you change your fork oil ?   How often do you change your fork oil ? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 10:26 pm

After 8200 hard miles it still looks clear. On previous machines I would do it yearly. Wondering how often others are changing theirs?

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: How often do you change your fork oil ?   How often do you change your fork oil ? EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 7:47 am

Once a year, at least.

It will look very clear and fresh on the top, but once you dump it out and drain it all, you'll see the darker-colored stuff drain out of the fork.

It's called maintenance for a reason:
You're maintaining how the fork works by doing this.
Won't work any better or worse, but, it will maintain it's level of function.
If you were to wait so long that the oil was very much past due, the performance would suffer.
Back to top Go down
Bgunn

Bgunn

PostSubject: Re: How often do you change your fork oil ?   How often do you change your fork oil ? EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Probably right....Changed fork oil on a V Strom with 30K recently that has been abused and ridden like a dirt bike, was surprised how clean it was. Manuals don't mention changing it anymore.
Was wondering if many Wr folks have changed their fork oil.
Back to top Go down
marty

marty

PostSubject: Re: How often do you change your fork oil ?   How often do you change your fork oil ? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 10:12 am

what fork oil do y'all use? the fsm calls for "01"... does anyone know what that translates to for belray fork oil?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: How often do you change your fork oil ?   How often do you change your fork oil ? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 10:44 am

I've heard different opinions as to what Kayaba 01 oil is equivalent to.
I've heard anywhere from 7.5 down to 2.5 wt.
It probably also depends greatly on that brand of oil you're using to make the comparison.

I'm not sure on what Bel-Ray would work best.
Myself, I just ordered more genuine Kayaba 01 oil, sold through major aftermarket supplier catalogues found in any motorcycle shop, the same catalogues that sell Bel-Ray. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How often do you change your fork oil ?   How often do you change your fork oil ? Empty

Back to top Go down

How often do you change your fork oil ?
Page 1 of 1