Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Riding in snow ....

Go down 
+2
danila
zone47
6 posters
AuthorMessage
zone47

zone47

Riding in snow .... Empty
PostSubject: Riding in snow ....   Riding in snow .... EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 10:31 am

I should have my bike in a couple of weeks and there will most likely be a ton of snow on the ground. How do these WRRs handle in the snow with stock tires? lurk
Back to top Go down
danila

PostSubject: Re: Riding in snow ....   Riding in snow .... EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 1:01 pm

In stock tires on snow and ice is thery bed! Any from off roat tires is better.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Riding in snow ....   Riding in snow .... EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 1:04 pm

To me that is a loaded question. So many different kinds of snow. Also, on a flat I can motor along in almost anything. Throw in a hill, even a small one and I could be done. Just make sure to lower psi
*2inches of powder over a smooth semi-frozen gravel/dirt road equal HEAVEN!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Riding in snow ....   Riding in snow .... EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 2:14 pm

I'd proceed with caution as, along the lines of what inspector said, it depends on conditions.
Generally speaking, the stock tires are heavily biased toward road use, and you basically can't ask too much from either end when riding off-road.

Myself, as long as you have got the ability to do so, I'd mount some of your favorite knobbies. thumb
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Riding in snow ....   Riding in snow .... EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 3:02 pm

I drove just a few yards on my WR and hit an icy patch which was covered by snow and whoop there I went. GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Riding in snow ....   Riding in snow .... EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 7:12 pm

I was thinking powder snow and maybe some harder packed stuff that snow mobiles went over. Hmmm Suspect Maybe I'll just wait until spring. dunno
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Riding in snow ....   Riding in snow .... EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Up here in the local mountains right now there is dirt, then mud, then slush, then snow as you head up in elevation.

Stock tires, 100% useless in anything except some dirt.

I have the Michelin AC10's, very aggressive dirt/street legal tires. If the snow is more than 2-3 inches deep it's almost impossible to go uphill at all without walking the bike along. You can bounce up and down on the seat from time to time and get it to go further, but eventually you will stop. You must, at all times, decide when you are descending on a trail in snow, whether you could get back up if you have to. I found that out the hard way one time, and had to sweat bullets pushing the bike back up a slight slope all the while hoping it wouldn't overheat (since the tire is spinning while you're pushing and not much air is getting into the radiator). Just flooring it won't help either, you just dig a hole. 1 wheel drive just don't cut it...

The best solution? Honestly? If you're wanting to ride all year on most trails? A cheap used 4x4 ATV...

Riding in snow .... 7175copy

Riding in snow .... 7170copy

Riding in snow .... 2425copy

Riding in snow .... 2450copy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Riding in snow ....   Riding in snow .... EmptyFri May 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Thank gawd spring is here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding in snow ....   Riding in snow .... Empty

Back to top Go down

Riding in snow ....
Page 1 of 1