Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer

Go down 
+14
StreetGhost
motocrossmann
nap
SheWolf
skidmarx
DesertRatliff
DougZ
Sproat Sport
YZEtc
dustcloud
Ozy
TierHawg
danila
PYG RYDR
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DougZ

DougZ

Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptySat May 21, 2011 4:10 pm

So if I now have an FMF pipe installed with stock header, what are the settings I should get back to? I never took note of what they were before I start changing them.
Back to top Go down
nap

nap

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptySat May 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Ok I have had my megabomb and powercore 4 pipe for about 5000 kms and no trouble! i believe there is nothing to be concerned about! Let it breathe!! do the air box bod and put in a hi flow air filter!
I just got my efi programmer ordered ... cant wait to see the difference>
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptySat May 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Doug if you haven't done any changes on the programmer it's 0.5 all the way across. You've got the same setup I do; I don't have a header, just the stocker. With the settings I have it runs optimal for me. I opened up the top of my airbox a bit, and covered it with Flo-Rite so I don't get ny crap in the airbox yet it sucks in more air. You can try the settings I've got on the first post and try it that way. It's easy enuf to go back to the default settings. thumb

Ozy

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 9:29 am

SheWolf wrote:
The default setting are just that, the lowest settings on the programmer as it comes shipped that way. It doesn't come pre-programmed for a certain pipe, even an FMF one for that matter. It simply is a base setting to start from when you start tuning the programmer. If you've done any mods the default settings aren't going to do much (if anything) performance wise really; you have to adjust the programmer to get the mojo going. thumb And once you DO, you'll wish that you had done it sooner. Very happy

When I first got mine the settings weren't all on 0.5 and when I questioned the guy from Dobeck he told me that the settings it comes with are the best starting point to suit FMF pipes... dunno
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 9:31 am

But is that with the stock header in place or the FMF header(s) in place???
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:26 am

DougZ wrote:
But is that with the stock header in place or the FMF header(s) in place???

I'd say the FMF header. Send an email to Dobeck who is the programmer manufacturer and ask them. I did and they were very helpful.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:54 am

Goo deal, thanks for all the help.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 4:56 pm

OK, just a heads up..just contacted Dobeck and got some helpful advice. Very good company to work with.

Mods: Flapper removed, No toil air filter( same flow as stock), FMF programmer and FMF Q4 pipe.

Current settings as previous posted with stock exhaust system in tact:

G 2.5
Y 2.5
R .5
GB 8.0
YB 4.0
RB 4.5

He said those settings were pretty good..and they felt pretty good to me when I rode this weekend, with new pipe on there.

Only change he said I may wanna play with and see, is the Yellow, bumping up to either 3 or 3.5. I may try that this week and see how it is.

Back to top Go down
motocrossmann

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks for posting these stock settings! Just installed my FMF programmer and the bike definitely feels more responsive. I wanna say it is torquier down low too, but it's really hard to say for sure.
Back to top Go down
StreetGhost

StreetGhost

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 2:45 pm

TierHawg wrote:
I am running the FMF programmer with an otherwise stock set-up. My fuel mileage dropped a little, so that means it works, right? Rolling Eyes

It did seem to "richen up" the bike somewhat. Have not changed the settings on the unit. I did this mod about a year ago, and planned to upgrade the exhaust too but other things happened and the engine/exhaust are still stock. I think the EFI FMF mod alone was worth what I paid, so I'm okay with it. Plus, eventually I'm going to do the AIS and flapper mod.

This is me now ^
However I pulled my spark arrestor. Yeah. I lost some gas mileage too.
Back to top Go down
StreetGhost

StreetGhost

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 2:55 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Doug if you haven't done any changes on the programmer it's 0.5 all the way across. You've got the same setup I do; I don't have a header, just the stocker. With the settings I have it runs optimal for me. I opened up the top of my airbox a bit, and covered it with Flo-Rite so I don't get ny crap in the airbox yet it sucks in more air. You can try the settings I've got on the first post and try it that way. It's easy enuf to go back to the default settings. thumb

Do you have a photo of the Flo-Rite installed?
I'd love to see it.
Back to top Go down
trailrider77

trailrider77

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 9:15 am

From this thread it appears that running a FMF Programmer with a stock exhaust is OK and also results in some performance improvements.

Is that still the case for those who currently have this setup?

I am wanting to keep my bike w/ stock exhaust for now in order to remain more on the stealth side since I ride trails that are not far from neighborhoods.
Back to top Go down
motocrossmann

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 am

I have the FMF programmer on an otherwise bone stock bike. I do believe it has helped considerably on my bike. No big gains, but better throttle response and generally smoother throughout the powerband.
Back to top Go down
trailrider77

trailrider77

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 10:24 am

That's great news. Do you recall what your # settings are?

I was also wondering if glueing down the airbox flapper would result in any noticable improvements given that I still have the stock exhaust system in place.

thx
Back to top Go down
motocrossmann

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:38 am

The same settings posted earlier in the thread:

G 2.5
Y 2.5
R .5
GB 8
YB 4
RB 4.5

I thought about gluing down the flapper, but never attempted it after I read it does cause a noticeable increase in noise. Let us know if you do it, I'd be curious to hear how it turns out.
Back to top Go down
trailrider77

trailrider77

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:39 am

Well I installed the FMF EFI Programmer to my stock R2. Exhaust is stock and no plumbing has been removed.

Here's a few observations:

Current Settings:
G 3
Y 5.5
R .5
GB 8
YB 4
RB 4.5

1. Glad I'm not color blind otherwise tuning would have been difficult w/ all the blinking colored lights.

2. Low end hesitation is now GONE.

3. Super smooth when taking off from a dead stop all the way to the top end run out.

4. An overall slight increase in power. This is from a "seat of the pants" reading.

5. I had just enough room under the seat and velcro'd it in place.

This video really helped me w/ tuning the EFI:

Back to top Go down
motocrossmann

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 2:36 pm

Wow, trailrider77, you are pouring in lots of fuel under accel. You realize that even the guys with pipes & open airboxes don't usually go quite that far? It's your call of course, I'm just a schmoe at work who should be doing things other than surfing this forum!
Back to top Go down
trailrider77

trailrider77

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:44 pm

I tried a couple of different settings today back to back.

FMF Settings out of the box
G 3
Y 4
R 1
GB 8
YB 4
RB 4.5

and

G 2.5
Y 2.5
R .5
GB 8
YB 4
RB 4.5

But the best seat of the pants settings were:

G 3
Y 5.5
R .5
GB 8
YB 4
RB 4.5

I tried this setting on both pavement and dirt. Was able to ride a gear higher in the dirt. Nice lugging capability.

Now to test out the MPG. Good thing I just installed a Safari Tank to give me more fuel range.

At this point I'm now ready for my annual ride/exploration thru the Ar. Ozarks over Labor Day.

Gonna ride 2 days of logging/forest rodes then finish it off the 3rd day w/ some pure OHV/technical riding at Brock Creek or Moccasin gap on my trusty 2012 KTM250xc.

Back to top Go down
trailrider77

trailrider77

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Got to test out the R2 w/ the new EFI prog settings in pure offroad conditions today. Rode lots of tight technical rocky trails + huge uphills and downhills. The extra pull from the EFI programmer settings really helped and gave me confidence in hitting various obstacles and climbs in a higher gear. Really liked how smooth it pulled as well.

Overall this little R2 can really hold its own against larger displacement bikes. You do have to rev it a bit more but that's OK. Forces a little more aggressive riding style. The good news is when you have to whack the throttle to get over obstacles it does not launch you into an out of control situation. You just keep crawling forward w/ out the bike trying to wheelie on you or spinning out sideways. Control is a good thing.

This bike just get's better all the time.

Also, I installed a 3.5 gal Safari tank and I have to say the bike appears to track better on the front and is more stable. Maybe it's due to the extra weight on the front wheel?

The tank is wider then stock but actually that's working out well too. Never got in the way w/ the trail today.
Back to top Go down
skrew

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 7:38 am

trailrider77 wrote:

But the best seat of the pants settings were:

G 3
Y 5.5
R .5
GB 8
YB 4
RB 4.5

Tried almost same settings as yours, and was pretty happy. Now I am running with GB set to 2 to eliminate on/off behavior on low throttle.
Back to top Go down
marksg

marksg

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Can I ask if you guys running the stock exhaust would know if there is any value to spot-welding the EXUP valve in the open position. I did the usual mods, exup, AIS, Flapper and put a Dr D tailpipe on with an FMF programmer. Have got the bike running well on settings:
green = 3
Yellow = 2
red = 0.5
green/blue = 8
yellow/blue = 6.5
red/blue = 4

However within a few days of my mods I've been pulled by the police for excess noise (I live in a quaint village in the UK and the police chaps don't have much to do tound here!)

I think I am going to have to go back to the stock muffler. I don't want to have to re-fit all that EXUP crap so is there a solution to this?
thanks

Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 9:55 am

If you dont hook up the exup cables the exup stays open all the time, theres no need to weld anything.

The exup works backwards to the ones on street bikes, its open untill a certian rpm then closes for a bit then opens back up, its there to make the bike quieter for some sound test.

The exup on big street bikes are closed at low rpm and open at high rpm which makes a bunch more sense for making more low end lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer   Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Stock Exhaust and FMF Programmer
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2