Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Need new handlebars - any suggestions?

Go down 
+8
JohnnyCakes
mattf
granite4brains
nikkiwr
kjharn
greer
little squirt
Midnite171
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Midnite171

Midnite171

Need new handlebars - any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 8:42 pm

As the topic says, I need new handlebars. Wiped out and bent my stock ones. Should I go for cheap ones and just replace em everytime I go down hard, or is it worth getting some more expensive maybe thicker ones that might stand the test of time???
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 9:12 pm

you can replace them with standard 7/8" steel bars for like $15-$20 to get by. Nicer high end bars like the aluminum renthals or protapers will better at not bending if you take a small spill.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 5:56 am

We've had good luck with the not-so-pricey Tusk alum bars from Rocky Mtn. They have a handy chart, too:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/handlebarinfo.do

Sarah
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 1:57 pm

Protaper Contour SE bars have served me very, very well.
Back to top Go down
nikkiwr

nikkiwr

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 9:00 pm

pro taper fat bar cr high bend. really comfy.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 11:08 pm

I've got the Pro Taper SE KX High bars. I'm a bit on the tall side so they worked out great for me. added about 1 cm in height making it more comfy to stand. I guess they're more solid than the stock bars too, but I got them more for the fit.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 12:26 am

kind of depends on how often you go down and will have to replace cheap ones and factor in how much of an onconveniance it is everytime you have to replace them. honestly my stock ones took a few good hits before barely bending but I went with more expensive bigger aluminum bars for replacement in hopes of not having to replace them again. so far so good as they have taken more hits and still look good.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyCakes

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 2:56 am

Has anybody seen titanium handlebars before? It seems to be a very good match for durability having very high yield strength (2-3 times most aluminums) while also only being ~35% stiffer than aluminum. This allows it to flex much further before taking a set. Also only ~60% heavier than aluminum and half the weight of steel.

down sides... cost of course

If FMF uses in mufflers, why not handlebars?
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 10:33 pm

Cool guys thanks! I'll probably go with the Pro Taper or one of the Renthals. I HATE replacing thandlebars but I also HATE replacing $125 ones more!
Back to top Go down
Striper19

Striper19

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Just put on some Renthal 784's use them before on a couple FULL MOD 110's. Like them so far.
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 12:18 pm

I have the Easton 1 3/8 bars, Easton clamps, and the new Easton 1 3/8 handguard mounts. They are very solid.Need new handlebars - any suggestions? Wrx_112
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Ok, so I'm ready to order some. Quick question;

I DON'T want to install risers (cuz I'm short) and I really don't want to have to get any other clamps or anything. Just looking to buy handlebars and hook em up. Do I need 7/8? Is that the stock size???
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 2:56 pm

yes, stock size is 7/8"
Back to top Go down
JimTid

PostSubject: Pro Taper Contour   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyMon Oct 19, 2020 9:31 am

I purchased the "Harry Reed) model. It is 2 inches wider than stock and a little lower. I should have purchased the high bend. I'll ride these for a while to see if they become the new normal. I bought the bars at cycle gear for $69. They are 1 1/8 at the mount and reduce to 7/8 at the ends. The salesman told me I needed to replace the mount so I bought the pro taper unit that replaces the factory mount on the triple tree. I wish now that I had bought the adapter than mounts to the existing cradle. The nut and bolt on the new unit is thicker and longer than OEM. There was not enough room to get a socket on the right side. It was awkward trying to wrench it tight.
If I could do it again I would buy the high bend bars and use the adapter that mounts to the 7/8 OEM cradle.
Back to top Go down
gas_pig70

gas_pig70

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 1:54 am

Just picked up an '08 X and I already placed an order for ProTaper Contour bars (Windham RM Mid). I ran this model on my prior '08 R and on a DRZ400S before that. The X came with a Henry/Reed Contour bar on it and I really don't like it.

p.s. I'm back!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need new handlebars - any suggestions?   Need new handlebars - any suggestions? Empty

Back to top Go down

Need new handlebars - any suggestions?
Page 1 of 1