Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

BOLT broke in half

Go down 
+3
combo
Akasy
squishi1993
7 posters
AuthorMessage
squishi1993

BOLT broke in half  Empty
PostSubject: BOLT broke in half    BOLT broke in half  EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 12:00 am

so when I was doing the oil change I mest up the bolt that goes in the
little hole as shown in the picture. It came out in half :/ the other part is stuck in there, i Tried taking it off but it was really hard. Do u think the dealer or a motorcycle shop will be able to fix it ? or am i screwed?

BOLT broke in half  Oilcha11
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: If it were me.....   BOLT broke in half  EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 12:30 am

I would be looking for a good machine shop--not a dealer--but that is just me.

[quote="squishi1993"]so when I was doing the oil change I mest up the bolt that goes in the
little hole as shown in the picture. It came out in half :/ the other part is stuck in there, i Tried taking it off but it was really hard. Do u think the dealer or a motorcycle shop will be able to fix it ? or am i screwed?
/quote]
Back to top Go down
combo

combo

PostSubject: Re: BOLT broke in half    BOLT broke in half  EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 1:36 am

Needs to be re-taped and drilled out

Unless you have great skill and proper equipment I would take it to a pro and get them to get it out
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: BOLT broke in half    BOLT broke in half  EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 8:22 am

combo wrote:
Needs to be re-taped and drilled out

Unless you have great skill and proper equipment I would take it to a pro and get them to get it out

First he needs to get the broken piece of thread out.

Yes - those oil cover bolts are soft as butter. Very easy to torque head clean off bolt.
More than a handful here have done the same thing.

There are special drill bits/kits you can buy for extracting broken bolts.

Unfortunately you may damage the threads on your case using such a thing if you are not really careful.

Can you guess how much of the old thread is left in your case? Based on the other two unbroken screws you have?

This may be time to find an experienced motorcycle mechanic.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: BOLT broke in half    BOLT broke in half  EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 10:11 am

Have you ever removed a broken bolt before? If not I would take it to a shop and have it done. The aluminum case of the motor is soft and not forgiving of mistakes or slips with a drill.
Do you have the tools to remove it? You can probably have it removed for the cost of the tools. Since the bolt broke when trying to remove it, the part still in the motor is probably pretty tight and will be hard to remove even with an easy-out. It may end up having to be drilled out and a heli-coil installed.

Is it a blind hole or does the threaded opening go all the way into the crankcase? With a blind hole you don’t have to worry about the metal shavings going into the motor.

Here’s a video of a guy removing a bolt from an engine block to give you an idea of how to do it. Bolt Removal Notice his easy-out is bent, that’s from a bolt that was hard to remove. I have bent and even broken an easy-out trying to remove a bolt. When it breaks you have a hardened piece of steel in there that a drill bit doesn’t drill through so now you have a bigger problem. It boils down to how comfortable you are doing this kind of stuff.
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: BOLT broke in half    BOLT broke in half  EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 10:25 am

Very easy to do with Screw extractors. Just drill a little hole in the middle of the broken bolt (careful not to mess up threads of the hole). Then Insert a spiral screw extractor and screw it in the hole. The screw extractors screw in the hole in the opposite direction so once it's in the drilled out hole, and you're screwing counter-clockwise, it will eventually grab the broken bolt and it will unscrew it.

Last edited by Midnite171 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: BOLT broke in half    BOLT broke in half  EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 10:56 am

Did he break it removing it????

Or torquing it in????

Not really clear.

If it broke when being removed I'd be shocked, unless he'd admit to thinking "righty loosen" "lefty tighty"..... eeek

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
squishi1993

PostSubject: Re: BOLT broke in half    BOLT broke in half  EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks for ALL the help, just decided to take it down to the local Honda dealer shop
they did it for $25. But now i know how to fix it whenever something like that happens.
Back to top Go down
squishi1993

PostSubject: Re: BOLT broke in half    BOLT broke in half  EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 10:10 pm

motokid wrote:
Did he break it removing it????

Or torquing it in????

Not really clear.

If it broke when being removed I'd be shocked, unless he'd admit to thinking "righty loosen" "lefty tighty"..... eeek

No my friend i was doing it the right way i was loosing it up, i was very shock.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: BOLT broke in half    BOLT broke in half  EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 12:00 am

squishi1993 wrote:
.....But now i know how to fix it whenever something like that happens.

Well?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BOLT broke in half    BOLT broke in half  Empty

Back to top Go down

BOLT broke in half
Page 1 of 1