Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay?

Go down 
+2
dc4stroke
Rule292
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rule292

Rule292

Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay? Empty
PostSubject: Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay?   Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 pm

Howdy,

Got my WRR a month ago and I've got one dilemma - no room in the garage so she has to go in the basement. And wouldn't you know it's about an inch too wide to fit nicely through the door.

Right now I'm buttering the bar ends/mirrors and twisting it through gracefully but I'd love to trim half an inch or so off the ends of the bars to make it go in and out less painfully.

Unfortunately this is my first bike since 1985 and my first dirt ride since I was on a Honda Trail 90 so I don't have any idea whether this is smart or umday.

Any thoughts on this, good or bad?

Thanks,

Rob.
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay?   Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Go for it.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay?   Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Mine are at 29.5" but not because of limited space in my garage. You will get used to this quickly. I do this to every bike I own because we have a lot of tight trails.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay?   Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 11:21 pm

Do it, lots of folks cut down bars because of personal preference.

The only issue you're going to run into is on the throttle side. The stock assembly has a dimple that coincides with a hole in the stock bars. You'll either have to drill a new hole in the bars or remove the dimple.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay?   Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Cut my OEM bars 3/4 on each side. Not for space.... I think mine are also about 29.5"

1) The narrower bars bring the straight line from my shoulders to my wrists more in-line when standing.

2) When not standing the angle of my wrists to my forearms are more in-line. (IOW my elbows are more at a 90 degree angle).

The benefit (to my ergos) are both better control ( more leverage strength) as well as less forearm fatigues (Arm pump).

Not that I know, but there's probably an analogy to arm wrestling positioning somehow.
Back to top Go down
Rule292

Rule292

PostSubject: Re: Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay?   Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 8:31 am

I'll have to do a little 'vestigatin to see how much I want to take off. X-, that makes sense about cutting them off to match my shoulder position.

Gonna be in the 40's and ho-hum here this weekend so I can trim the bars and work on lowering the bike a bit.

Thanks guys for the good replies!
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay?   Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 am

I cut an inch of each end. Makes it much narrower, can have higher bars & stuff still fits, & it still handles fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay?   Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay? Empty

Back to top Go down

Trimming half an inch off of ends of handlebars - OK or nay?
Page 1 of 1