Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers

Go down 
+21
jackielyn12
yellowredlight
njbill
Mr. Fisherman
jason meacham
TierHawg
toast
mnormand
macfast
wildmotha
BluePill
eastcoastzigzag
Chadx
miamimotorcyclist
SpiritWolf15
turboedmsp
proview
BPG
gas_pig70
SheWolf
Jäger
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers Empty
PostSubject: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 4:52 pm

So I live in an area where it isn't uncommon to travel 50 miles up a Forest Service Road before the really interesting side roads and trails start - and that doesn't count the miles of tar you might have to cover to get to the FSR itself. The nimble little WR is a little short in the legs for those of us in the mountains where gas stations can be few and far between.

The discussion of large capacity gas tanks coming out and other means to carry extra fuel aside, a trailer hitch mounted bike carrier seems like a good solution. Discussions about the ability of the vehicle to support the weight, vehicle imbalance, etc are not really germane to me: my truck is a Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4, with a big assed hitch on the back which will tow just about any size RV that has a ball hitch.

So with that in mind, does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these:

Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers Motorcycle-carrier-4

Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers Motorcycle-carrier-8

AMC-400 Aluminum Motorcycle Carrier

Looks like it might be just the ticket, and has all the load capacity I need to haul around a 300 lb bike. And as the travel is pretty much on tar or graded gravel roads, I don't think I need something capable of holding it in place on a 4x4 trying to crawl over the Himalayas. When it gets like that, that's when you get on the bike.

So... any experiences with these carriers out there - other than those of you who've found putting one of these on the back of your Ford Pinto or Mercedes SmartCar isn't such a good idea? I am wondering how much my handlebars will clear the rear window of my Gemtop canopy, but it should be good.

Hell... I could even run my mountain bike around on it!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 5:04 pm

I've seen a couple of those around; one was on the back of an 03 Navigator and a Chevy Blazer (the mid 70's style). Seemed to have lots of clearance. The one guy said he almost took out his back window but that wasn't due to the fitment of the bike on the carrier...he didn't tie a knot in the cinch strap and it loosened off on him and the bike decided to tap on the window to say hello. eeek

Here's something else that would be kinda cool.
Bike Trailer

It's made right close to where I live, and they seem to sell a lot of them. Kinda neat.

Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 6:32 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Here's something else that would be kinda cool.
Bike Trailer

It's made right close to where I live, and they seem to sell a lot of them. Kinda neat.

Holy Shyte! Does it articulate at the back so it doesn't put leverage on the swing arm. I've seen bob trailers for mountain bikes and am in fact shopping for one I can use to go elk hunting in vehicle closure areas. This is the same, somewhat!

What do they give for a load? Any reports of guys saying the trailer screwed their bike up? It isn't much for single track... but with a couple of jerry cans, a cooler of food, and some basic camping gear... wow, you could really set up an impressive base camp a long way up a forestry or mining road.

More info! More info!

Better yet, buy one. Then let me know if it did any bad scoobies to your bike!

I really have to hit the road. Back in three or four days.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Does it articulate, yes (also has 6 inches of travel). Has it been used in single track? Yes (check out the specs page and you will see a guy on a Kawi pulling one of these going OVER a log). thumb How much can it carry? EASILY 100 lbs. The guy who builds it is only 45 minutes away from me and he's going to send me some more info on the unit; he is also an avid rider so he really put a lot of thought into this thing. To date, it has NOT caused any problems to a bike. You can, however, still get flats as you can on your own ride. It also has an optional fiberglass cover if you want to keep shit dry. The trailer itself is $800 CAD, and the fiberlgass top is another $300 if you want it. deal

gas_pig70

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 4:47 am

I have an Add A Bike carrier that I used with my DRZ before I bought a trailer. It's a bit dated compared to the newest model shown below but the concept is the same.

Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers 044
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 2:17 pm

Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers MBHP2aWell, in typical hillbilly fashion thumb, I just wondered into Wal-Mart and picked up one of those generic "Hitch Haul" type carriers for about $50.

Then I bolted a $15 wheel chock to a length of pressure-treated 2x6, and bolted the chock/board to the hitch-haul.

Done and done, and have space to carry a cooler or gas can outside the vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 7:35 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Does it articulate, yes (also has 6 inches of travel). Has it been used in single track? Yes (check out the specs page and you will see a guy on a Kawi pulling one of these going OVER a log). thumb How much can it carry? EASILY 100 lbs. The guy who builds it is only 45 minutes away from me and he's going to send me some more info on the unit; he is also an avid rider so he really put a lot of thought into this thing. To date, it has NOT caused any problems to a bike. You can, however, still get flats as you can on your own ride. It also has an optional fiberglass cover if you want to keep shit dry. The trailer itself is $800 CAD, and the fiberlgass top is another $300 if you want it. deal

Just occurred to me... the trailer wouldn't help because it wouldn't be legal on the gazetted roads leading to where I wanted to go. So I'd be back to square one all over again.

I do see a large after market gas tank is getting closer and closer, however...
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 7:39 pm

You wouldn't be able to insure it as a utility trailer? I'd think it'd be pretty cheap. dunno

Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 1:33 am

SheWolf wrote:
You wouldn't be able to insure it as a utility trailer? I'd think it'd be pretty cheap. dunno

Ah... I'd have to go look at the MVA and Regs to see if it would fit the definition of a trailer. I think the definition is that it has TWO wheels. Not sure though; I'm guessing.

You would, however, for sure have to have brake lights, turn signals, etc, etc. And of course those lights have to meet requirements regarding height above ground and whatnot.

Not really doable for gazetted roads, I fear.
Back to top Go down
proview

proview

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 2:03 am

I think it would be good if it works well. Seems like there would be a lot of torque on the piece going into the hitch socket. I can just picture the bike swaying from side to side taking turns and going over bumps. Might be able to rig up something on one end of ramp to the frame of the truck to prevent it..
Back to top Go down
turboedmsp

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 5:25 pm

i have the versa hauler dual carrier. I like it alot. i carry my wr250r and my kids ttr110e. i carry them for 5.5 hrs on the road when we go out of town works great.

Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers DSC01745Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers DSC01747Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers DSC01749

crappy phone pics

BenWRR likes this post

Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyTue May 05, 2009 12:22 pm

turboedmsp wrote:
i have the versa hauler dual carrier. I like it alot. i carry my wr250r and my kids ttr110e. i carry them for 5.5 hrs on the road when we go out of town works great.

crappy phone pics

Whats the make of that racK? hitch size? price?
Back to top Go down
miamimotorcyclist

miamimotorcyclist

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 2:11 pm

BPG wrote:
Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers MBHP2a
Well, in typical hillbilly fashion thumb, I just wondered into Wal-Mart and picked up one of those generic "Hitch Haul" type carriers for about $50.

Then I bolted a $15 wheel chock to a length of pressure-treated 2x6, and bolted the chock/board to the hitch-haul. Done and done, and have space to carry a cooler or gas can outside the vehicle.

I did the same years ago with a pep boys carrier (same one I'm sure.) I built mine for a street bike because at the time no one was making them for anything but dirtbikes.

It progressed to having extra recievers on the hitch and extra support rods to keep it from twisting when I load a sportbike.

Added air shocks to the van and it is no problem to have a bike back there.

You could forget a bike is even back there.

Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers Cbrvan
Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers Ktm001
Back to top Go down
Chadx

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 5:33 pm

turboedmsp, if you put a 'return' between your pics, everyone's text won't stretch several screens wide. thumb

I used to use a hitch rack that had a jack incorportated into it. You'd lower it down, center
the bike's frame tubes/skid plate over it, and jack it up. the wheels hung in mid air. Then
you locked it down with pins and took the pressure off the jack. Did several 1,000 mile trips
with it, plus local. Worked slick with both a CRF450R and a bit heavier XR400R. I still have it,
but haven't used it for some time now.

Last edited by Chadx on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eastcoastzigzag

eastcoastzigzag

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 11:23 pm

i have that exact one. just make sure you check the bolts ever so often. i used blue locktite. i love my hitch rack. i mostly use it when i dont want to pull my trailer.
Back to top Go down
miamimotorcyclist

miamimotorcyclist

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 9:26 am

eastcoastzigzag wrote:
i have that exact one. just make sure you check the bolts ever so often. i used blue locktite. i love my hitch rack. i mostly use it when i dont want to pull my trailer.

I'll have to check on that but most if not all of my bolts are tack welded. Welded most of the carrier together when I was adding the rail, left the bolts for back up.

Last edited by miamimotorcyclist on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eastcoastzigzag

eastcoastzigzag

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 9:27 am

miamimotorcyclist wrote:
eastcoastzigzag wrote:

I'll have to check on that but most if not alll of my bolts are tack welded. Welded most of the carrier together when I was adding the rail, left the bolts for back up.

-----def good idea!
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 11:35 am

After pondering many options, I recently bought a basic carrier with the design style below. The one thing that I hadn't thougt of is that the extension in the rear (necessary for tie downs) can hang up when going through a large dip. Hasn't been a problem yet, but the pit roads at some events can be pretty bad. Thinking that the hydraulic lift type might have been a better choice. It could also double as a work stand since the wheels are both free to move, unlike the ramp style.

Looks like it might be just the ticket, and has all the load capacity I need to haul around a 300 lb bike. And as the travel is pretty much on tar or graded gravel roads, I don't think I need something capable of holding it in place on a 4x4 trying to crawl over the Himalayas. When it gets like that, that's when you get on the bike.

So... any experiences with these carriers out there - other than those of you who've found putting one of these on the back of your Ford Pinto or Mercedes SmartCar isn't such a good idea? I am wondering how much my handlebars will clear the rear window of my Gemtop canopy, but it should be good.

Hell... I could even run my mountain bike around on it![/quote]
Back to top Go down
eastcoastzigzag

eastcoastzigzag

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 11:42 am

BluePill wrote:
After pondering many options, I recently bought a basic carrier with the design style below. The one thing that I hadn't thougt of is that the extension in the rear (necessary for tie downs) can hang up when going through a large dip. Hasn't been a problem yet, but the pit roads at some events can be pretty bad. Thinking that the hydraulic lift type might have been a better choice. It could also double as a work stand since the wheels are both free to move, unlike the ramp style.

Hell... I could even run my mountain bike around on it!
[/quote]

------that is the exact one i have. i love it on my f150 :Beavis:the hard part is that im 5'8, and getting the bike off the rack takes some practice.
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 11:44 am

Hey guys and gals,

Just put 850 miles on my AMC-400 and thought i'd throw in my opinion: for the money I think it's great. The bolts and straps it came with suck and I don't know why no washers were included, but other than that it works great.

The rack will kind of see-saw a bit, which made me a little uncomfortable hitting bumps at 75mph, but I checked it at every stop and it was solid.

Good cheap rack!

https://2img.net/h/i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt262/Wildmotha/DSC01312.jpg
Back to top Go down
macfast

macfast

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 3:47 pm

This is how I carry my bike when I want to move it with my car and not use a trailer. Works great.

Click the thumbnails to see a bigger image.

Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers Bikepics037.th

Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers Bikepics039.th
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 8:19 pm

Looks like a great fab job there! Better market that, I think it'll really hit big...especially for cage runners. thumb

eastcoastzigzag

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:10 pm

could i have read somewhere that it was bad for this bike to coast with out the engine running?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Maybe if it was in gear... Very happy Yeah I don't know about that one. I've never heard about coasting a bike in neutral being hard on anything. I know coasting an automatic without the engine running is BAD. But a bike? scratch

macfast

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 12:54 am

You have to take the chain off or you will burn up the the gear box.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers   Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers Empty

Back to top Go down

Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next