Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Greetings from Moab

Go down 
+3
Luke308
combo
ZED
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ZED

ZED

Greetings from Moab Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from Moab   Greetings from Moab EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 7:28 pm

We came to escape the long winter and the snow.

Greetings from Moab IMG_2540
The drive down went through lots more winter and two blizzards with ice and snow on the road.

Apparently the blizzards followed us to Moab. Today we found this… poser2
Greetings from Moab IMG_2598
Now, admittedly we were getting close to La Sal pass in the La Sal mountain range. It was actually quite bizarre. Minutes ago we were traversing Red rock, then we're slithering around in snow. I actually sunk up to the top of my MX boot taking the picture!

Greetings from Moab IMG_2603
The La Sal Mountains

Greetings from Moab IMG_2619
ZED playing on the slick rock. It Rocks!

Greetings from Moab IMG_2579
So far only a couple of mishaps. Here KLRChickie is checking to see if ZED's WR is OK and feeling like getting up yet. No injuries to to rider or bikes so far.

Greetings from Moab IMG_2623
Here we are back at the Inca Inn, sipping our beverages and planning tomorrows ride.
dutch
Back to top Go down
combo

combo

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Moab   Greetings from Moab EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 10:32 pm

Pretty but looks cold, have fun and stay upright boys thumb
Back to top Go down
Luke308

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Moab   Greetings from Moab EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 1:06 am

ZED: Those black rims look sweet...
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Moab   Greetings from Moab EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 12:21 am

Luke308 wrote:
ZED: Those black rims look sweet...

Thanks.

I think the WRX model looks great with black accents too.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Moab   Greetings from Moab EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 12:33 am

We explored the 'Behind the Rocks' trail which starts at about 20km South of Moab

Greetings from Moab IMG_2628
Here's the back of the rocks with the La Sal mountains (again) as a backdrop.

One neat spot to see there is the Highly Desirable view point which overlooks the Kane Creek / Hurrah Pass Trail intersection.

Greetings from Moab IMG_2667
Can you spot the trail junction and the Fifth wheel trailer parked nearby from 1000ft.?
It's tough but it's there.

There were a lot of tough climbs and descents on the jeep trail. Some of these were two bikes in length and extremely steep to the point that the tires wouldn't grip. It was a bit scary bringing bikes down a slope you know you can't go back up! Fortunately there were other options back. Some time with the Map and the GPS was spent to make sure we weren't getting into a pickle.

Greetings from Moab IMG_2633
There are easier routes but here's the WRs above one drop.

Greetings from Moab IMG_2634
Here's it is from the bottom. This one we bypassed. However, we did some drops that were steeper than this but only about two bikes long when there was no immediate bypass.

Greetings from Moab IMG_2641
Finding a shady spot for a rest and a bite of packed lunch is important. Hydration packs were, of course, used throughout the trip.

Greetings from Moab IMG_2758
ZED played around some more on the slick rock. The Slick Rock trail is neat. Here's the Baby Lion's Back. The camera is tilted so it doesn't show how steep it is. The actual Lion's Back is now off limits as someone has somehow purchased the land and closed the Moab landmark to the public.

Greetings from Moab IMG_2763
I think the best breakfast in Moab is at the Moab Diner. The Green Chilli Omelet is awesome. Honestly at first glance it looks like someone upchucked on the plate, but after you get over the look it is amazing. The spicing is perfect. It's not too hot, but nicely spiced, full of flavour, and very hearty.

Greetings from Moab IMG_2783
The trip back was 17 hours of basic boredom accented by brief snow storms.

Greetings from Moab IMG_2797
When we got home and unloaded the bikes, the sprinter got stuck! When we'd left the alley had been melting and the snow had been almost gone. Since then several inches of the white $h!t had accumulated overtop. This resulted in waking the Unimog from it's winter slumber and bringing it to the rescue. A stuck sprinter is nothing to a Unimog, but what is with all this White $h!t????!!!!!!!!?????

We can't wait to go back to Moab. We've already started planning next year's trip!

Addendum:
After over 3,500km round trip, the worst, stupidest drivers encountered, were within 30km of home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Moab   Greetings from Moab EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 12:45 am

Learnings from this trip:

- Riding on sand isn't so bad once you get used to it, although it is a bit squirrelly at 45mph!
- Corners with banked berms are your friend.
- Whoops can be fun at the right speed.
- The Slick Rock trail wasn't half as technical as I was expecting (although it is still very strenuous).
- The WR is just about the perfect bike for Moab. It is reasonably light, has ample power, has good suspension, and is road legal.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Moab   Greetings from Moab EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 1:57 am

Thanks for reminding us you were out riding while the rest of us were back here in the snow, you bastard.

Ski season is done next weekend; my last patrol days and then I hang 'em up for the year. Wife has to go to Calgary sometime about the 6th for some oral surgery. Not sure of the schedule, but perhaps we'll drop you a line while we're being social butterflies while up there visiting with friends and family (mostly located across 16th from SAIT).

And I usually don't miss the Calgary Gun Show.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Moab   Greetings from Moab EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:00 am

We had snow here yesterday but it melted within a few hours. Today I ride! Looks like a most awesome trip you two had. cheers

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Moab   Greetings from Moab EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:52 am

Great riding! Moab & surrounding areas have some of the best riding in the world. Add white rim trail to your next ride there.. even though you can't loop it, still, it's a beautiful ride.
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Moab   Greetings from Moab EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 12:10 pm

rydnseek wrote:
Great riding! Moab & surrounding areas have some of the best riding in the world. Add white rim trail to your next ride there.. even though you can't loop it, still, it's a beautiful ride.

We'll get to it some year Very happy .

The day we had planned for White Rim this year it was snowing in the morning in Canyonlands, temperatures around freezing, and high winds. Looping it was also not a possibility, due to it being closed in one spot at the moment. We went for a hike in the morning and then did a different ride in the afternoon instead.

*Last year* my XT croaked on the way to the White Rim trail and hasn't run since Rolling Eyes.

Hopefully next time. Moab in March is an excellent way to shake off the winter blahs - for one week at least.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Moab   Greetings from Moab Empty

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Moab
Page 1 of 1