Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New member from NM

Go down 
+2
Jäger
trailwerks
6 posters
AuthorMessage
trailwerks

New member from NM Empty
PostSubject: New member from NM   New member from NM EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 1:26 am

Hello all -

I have been watching the WR250R with interest for some time now. Actually finally rode one (a 2008) around Christmas while on a visit back to the US (I am on a temp assignment in China). I have continued to watch the bike I test rode get more affordable until I said 'Enough!' and told them I would take it. I will only be back in the US next week for a short visit but long enough to pay for it and bring it home. I also have a WR450F that I was riding as a DS but I think the smaller bike will do what I need more easily and offer more fun to boot. Looking forward to joining the ranks of owners here.

trailwerks
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

New member from NM Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member from NM   New member from NM EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 1:51 am

trailwerks wrote:
Hello all -

I have been watching the WR250R with interest for some time now. Actually finally rode one (a 2008) around Christmas while on a visit back to the US (I am on a temp assignment in China). I have continued to watch the bike I test rode get more affordable until I said 'Enough!' and told them I would take it. I will only be back in the US next week for a short visit but long enough to pay for it and bring it home. I also have a WR450F that I was riding as a DS but I think the smaller bike will do what I need more easily and offer more fun to boot. Looking forward to joining the ranks of owners here.
Welcome!

I got my '08 for $4k and change OTD back in late '08. I thought that was a pretty good deal so it will be kind of interesting to hear what you paid now that they've gotten more affordable.

Also be interesting to hear your thoughts if you've been riding a lot of sand out there with that 450F. Lots of sand is one scenario where I visualize this bike might be out of place, but I've never tried it.
Back to top Go down
trailwerks

New member from NM Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member from NM   New member from NM EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 7:12 am

I try to avoid deep sand when possible and leave face prints in it when it is unavoidable...
Back to top Go down
Akasy

New member from NM Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member from NM   New member from NM EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 7:58 am

The WRR does as well, or slighly better, than other small displacement 4t's in the deep sand--say CRF230L or XT225 etc. I've ridden mine in the Rio Puerco on several occassions and where it falls short is in loose sand hill climbing--just does not have the poo to make the cut. Long arroyo deep sand is easily doable but I much prefer my KTM 380 in the Puerco. The weight of the WRR is a real disadvantage in the deep sand as it tends to plow rather than turn and where you need low end tractor pull it's just not in the WRR. The other day I got deep into sugar sand hills, luckily I was on the KTM and it had a heck of a time pulling out, if I had been on the WRR I would have needed four guys to drag it up those hills. The WRR has a place but deep sand (I'm talking 8-15" of loose sugar) is not one of them.

Jäger wrote:
trailwerks wrote:
Hello all -

Welcome!

I got my '08 for $4k and change OTD back in late '08. I thought that was a pretty good deal so it will be kind of interesting to hear what you paid now that they've gotten more affordable.

Also be interesting to hear your thoughts if you've been riding a lot of sand out there with that 450F. Lots of sand is one scenario where I visualize this bike might be out of place, but I've never tried it.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

New member from NM Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member from NM   New member from NM EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:25 am

The WRR does just fine in the sand. I ride in it every weekend. Granted we don't have the hills that you do out west and I would see having some trouble there and falling a bit short. But when it's flat deep sand with the right technique, tires and tire pressure it does very well.

Akasy wrote:
The WRR does as well, or slighly better, than other small displacement 4t's in the deep sand--say CRF230L or XT225 etc. I've ridden mine in the Rio Puerco on several occassions and where it falls short is in loose sand hill climbing--just does not have the poo to make the cut. Long arroyo deep sand is easily doable but I much prefer my KTM 380 in the Puerco. The weight of the WRR is a real disadvantage in the deep sand as it tends to plow rather than turn and where you need low end tractor pull it's just not in the WRR. The other day I got deep into sugar sand hills, luckily I was on the KTM and it had a heck of a time pulling out, if I had been on the WRR I would have needed four guys to drag it up those hills. The WRR has a place but deep sand (I'm talking 8-15" of loose sugar) is not one of them.

Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

New member from NM Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member from NM   New member from NM EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 10:30 am

trav72 wrote:
But when it's flat deep sand with the right technique, tires and tire pressure it does very well.

Exactly! This bike will go anywhere! Welcome to the pack. thumb

SteveO

New member from NM Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member from NM   New member from NM EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 4:21 pm

welcome fellow NM rider.
Back to top Go down
trailwerks

New member from NM Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member from NM   New member from NM EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 6:24 pm

Hello Steve,

I think the last time I talked to you was when Joanne and I ran into you out at Buckman....that has been a while ago. With the assignment in China, we haven't been able to do much riding lately although we did an 8-day trip across northern Vietnam last month.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New member from NM Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member from NM   New member from NM Empty

Back to top Go down

New member from NM
Page 1 of 1