Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
love2lean

love2lean

X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG Empty
PostSubject: X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG   X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 7:44 am

I will be riding between Roanoke and blacksburg (311) on 4/8-4/10. Could use some company for safety reasons! I am a fast paced rider but can ride with anyone fast or slow. I would like to meet some X owners in VA because I'm up there every 6 months to visit the inlaws.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG   X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 10:26 am

love2lean wrote:
I will be riding between Roanoke and blacksburg (311) on 4/8-4/10. Could use some company for safety reasons! I am a fast paced rider but can ride with anyone fast or slow. I would like to meet some X owners in VA because I'm up there every 6 months to visit the inlaws.
I see you're in Asheville. I'll be based in Little Switzerland for 7 nights during May 1 - 7.
I hope to have my WR250X with me too - 'pickup trucking' my 675 Street Triple for 6 days riding on your way-back-roads.
I'm only taking 1 week of vacation and I live over 900 miles away, hence trucking the bike(s.)

Here's 1 day-trip I have planned near you:
http://tinyurl.com/3cklgkx
I'd guess you've already ridden all those roads, they look tasty in GoogleMaps satellite view. thumb

PM me if you think you'll be around.
Back to top Go down
love2lean

love2lean

PostSubject: Asheville   X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 11:22 am

Yes deerhater, we are blessed with the finest motard country you could imagine. There is sooooo much curvy stuff. I lead one weekend ride a week and we would love to have you join us. Asheville is so vast its best to hook up with some locals or miss out on the good stuff. I can put together a ride of 200 miles or better with out more than 10 miles of straight road . I am off work on Friday and Saturday so that would be best as far as being free to roam. Check out my youtube channel : carolinamotomaps . View the 178 video or the ceazers head video , great examples of the local terrain! I am a reasonable, fast rider and do NOT push it all the way on the street . Just so you know some noteable roads to research are as follows NC 276, NC 178, NC 80 (right next to lil swiss !!!), NC 63, NC 151, NC 25/70 @ hot springs, NC 215 and a million other sideroads !!!! Beware on your trip planer 197 is UN paved at the top twisty part, we don't do that one. Also get Off the parkway at 276 go south and 215 south EPIC ROADS !!!!! I live in Marshall next to Mars hill there is a ton of good stuff right out my door too. A week is almost Not enough time to see what this region has to offer. My riding partner has the triple also and I'm on the X bring um both !
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG   X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks love2lean, a Friday ride would be perfect! Saturday I'm booked - there are 30+ riders in Little Switzerland for the TriDoD Spring Ride.

I've ridden (Fall 2009) sections of some of the roads you listed, and some are already planned this trip.

I'll PM you closer to the ride dates, thanks...
Back to top Go down
bren5279

PostSubject: Re: X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG   X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 4:29 pm

I was hoping I would have my bike ready, but my idiot self left the street tires back at home in NC so now I have to drive down this weekend to go get them... :(
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Rode in the area, it was GREAT!   X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG EmptyTue May 10, 2011 4:20 pm

Unfortunately I missed connecting with the WR250X riders while in the area, due to a few issues.

I did manage to ride almost 2,200 kms 'in the area' (I did 1 overnight down to Deal's Gap) over 6 riding days.
Unfortunately I did not have my WR250X with me too, just the 675 Street Triple.

Thanks for the above roads advice, I rode much of those suggested, and found lots of really, really good named back roads too:
Batcave, Old CCC, Macedonia Church, Cullowhee Mountain/Tilly Creek/Ellijay, Wayah, Happy Valley, Crabtree, Hickory Nut Gap/Elk, Double Island, Blue Rock, Halls Chapel, 7 Mile Ridge, Gouges Creek/Hanging Rock, Mortimer/Old Jonas Ridge, Wildcat/Stoney Fork, Fall Creek/Summit/Parsonvilles/New Hope, Sheets Gap, Vannoy, Buffalo Cove, Johns River, Henderson Mill, Fish hatchery.

Some of the great # roads: 181, 80, 215, 28, 421 (The Snake), 129 (Deal's Gap), 226A, 9, 276, 64, 151.

Those are just to name a few, I rode many more.

Truely GREAT riding in Western NC and Eastern TN!!!! thumb
I also managed to dip into SC and GA a bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG   X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG Empty

Back to top Go down

X RIDE ROANOKE/BLACKSBURG
Page 1 of 1