Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stock pipe, AIS removal??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DougZ

DougZ

Stock pipe, AIS removal?? Empty
PostSubject: Stock pipe, AIS removal??   Stock pipe, AIS removal?? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 4:08 pm

As I have the warranty for the new bike for the first year, anything I do to it, I want reversible. I already took about 5-6 lbs of dead weight off the bike, and I am looking to shave some more.

I am interested in doing the flapper mod, as well as removing the AIS system. BUT, for the first year, the stock pipe is staying on.

I read a bunch of the threads on here about how the CAT will get gunked up if you take out the AIS system. My question is will it get gunked up enough to affect any performance of bike in a year's time.

Since in this first year, I am not doing any performance upgrades, like a pipe or programmer, my only recourse to increase the power to weight ratio is to change the bike's weight. Flapper junk and AIS stuff should yield 2-3 more lbs.

And before anyone gets wise. :nono: .I am taking weight off me too. After riding for six hours Saturday, I was hurting. My internal organs actually hurt. The 10-20 lb " spare donut" around my waist aint helping things. Very happy
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Stock pipe, AIS removal??   Stock pipe, AIS removal?? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 8:50 pm

tap tap tap....this thing on? Very happy
Back to top Go down
AaronWhitt82

PostSubject: Re: Stock pipe, AIS removal??   Stock pipe, AIS removal?? EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 am

DougZ wrote:
As I have the warranty for the new bike for the first year, anything I do to it, I want reversible. I already took about 5-6 lbs of dead weight off the bike, and I am looking to shave some more.

I am interested in doing the flapper mod, as well as removing the AIS system. BUT, for the first year, the stock pipe is staying on.

I read a bunch of the threads on here about how the CAT will get gunked up if you take out the AIS system. My question is will it get gunked up enough to affect any performance of bike in a year's time.

Since in this first year, I am not doing any performance upgrades, like a pipe or programmer, my only recourse to increase the power to weight ratio is to change the bike's weight. Flapper junk and AIS stuff should yield 2-3 more lbs.

And before anyone gets wise. :nono: .I am taking weight off me too. After riding for six hours Saturday, I was hurting. My internal organs actually hurt. The 10-20 lb " spare donut" around my waist aint helping things. Very happy

Well basically the AIS adds fresh air from your air intake directly to the exhaust port area. By adding fresh air to the exhaust, it promotes more complete burning and reduces emissions. If you take it off, your emissions of unburned hydrocarbons may go up a bit (how much I have no idea).
Your exhaust will also run a bit cooler. It doesn't do anything to the engine power AFAIK, since the extra burning is outside of the cylinder.
(This was taken from Supermotojunkie)

They say not to remove the servo motor and EXUP with the stock exhaust on as that can clog up the Cat......

I think you should be ok with doing the AIS & flapper mod's.

My bike only has 20 miles on it and I'm putting on new exhaust and adding a fuel controller and other aftermarket parts.
I asked the dealer if this would VOID the warranty and he said to keep all the stock stuff in case something happens and I would have to put them back on.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Stock pipe, AIS removal??   Stock pipe, AIS removal?? EmptySun May 08, 2011 11:59 am

Does anything need to be done with the connector for the AIS pump? Or can I just bag it and tuck it away?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Stock pipe, AIS removal??   Stock pipe, AIS removal?? EmptySun May 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Bag it, zap strap it up and you're good to go. thumb

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Stock pipe, AIS removal??   Stock pipe, AIS removal?? EmptySun May 08, 2011 4:43 pm

I actually yanked a thumb of a rubber( nitrile..blue), and used that and a ziptie to seal it up, around the plug. Did the same thing with the AIS plug.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock pipe, AIS removal??   Stock pipe, AIS removal?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Stock pipe, AIS removal??
Page 1 of 1