Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Slight concern today

Go down 
+12
bhmax
gatorfan
little squirt
Hertz
cryptomundo
SheWolf
motokid
mash100
0007onWR
Jäger
usgpru27
glock19
16 posters
AuthorMessage
glock19

Slight concern today Empty
PostSubject: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 11:42 pm

My bike still has under 100 miles so it not broken in yet, but today I went for a quick spin around the block I couldn't get it in to first gear. I ended up putting it in second, then back in to neutral and then it went into first. My buddy who also has under 100 miles on his said his did the same thing. Is this common? Hopefully we didn't buy lemons. Im thinking its a good Idea I got the extended yamaha warranty.

Last edited by glock19 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
usgpru27

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 11:47 pm

I just got out on mine this past weekend. I bought it in the fall but had not ridden it. It has 2400 miles on it. Its funny you say that because after my few hours of riding I was less than impressed with the gearbox. I had the same issue.. You are constantly engaging the counter shaft in the trans to move the shifter drum. I have not had a bike in some time with standard shift so that may also be the user error but I think what your talking about is normal from what I see..
Back to top Go down
glock19

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 12:10 am

Dont get me wrong. Other than that I think it feels great shifting while riding nice smooth, quick shifting .
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 12:57 am

I can't give you an exact comparison because I did the Motoman break in. My bike was probably nearly broken in at 100 miles and close to getting its third oil change. You're probably still on the original oil, so we're pretty different scenarios.

But, I've never had a shifting problem, and as best I recall over the last three years you're the first to mention it. Change the oil?

I don't recall any reports of trannies packing it in appearing in forums since this bike came out. A few burnt out clutches due to clutch abuse.

I bought the extended warranty as well, because it was a first year model back then. I wouldn't buy it again if I was buying now, the bike has proven to be that reliable. Chances are neither of us will ever need that extended warranty.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 2:05 am

What do you mean by couldn't get it into first?
Were you unable to move the shifter down or it moved down but would not shift

If the shifter won't move, try loading it and then hit the kill switch, if it shifts as the engine stalls then it's just clutch drag, break in and oil change should cure it
These things have a wicked slick transmission
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:21 am

Mine is a bit sticky when cold - probably due to the wonderful British climate & parking outside under a rain cover! Usually the first couple of changes, but then things settle down. Maybe down to specific oil?? Maybe temp?? dunno Not sure, but has never been a real problem. Only other very rare problem is getting neutral when engine has been thrashed really hard.....
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 6:12 am

Never heard of this problem either.

What year is your R/X?

Are you talking about trying to shift down into first from a dead stop? Like when you first start bike up in neutral?

Can you do a rolling downshift into first ?

What about shifting from neutral down into first when the bike is completely turned off?
Does that transition happen smoothly?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 9:08 am

Yeah, never heard of the problem going into first. I have, however experienced not being able to shift up. That though, was due to not shifting properly. The bike doesn't like shifting when you have the gear shifter loaded; I found it happened more while wearing MX boots. I basically just made sure that my foot wasn't touching the shifter until right when i wanted to shift. If there was any pressure on that shifter while the bike is under load, it balks changing gears;a few ppl have had that same thing happen.

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 9:17 am

Every once in a while, as Im downshifting to stop, some times I have a problem going in to first .. since I dont want to try and force it, I wait until I stop, shift in to neutral, then down to first. It either has to do with me trying to down shift in to first when Im going to fast (high rpm), or the clutch is not completely in, not sure, but I think its mostly due to something I am doing vs a problem with the bike.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 9:31 am

When I've coasted to a stop and found myself in 3rd gear and having to downshift more than twice at a dead stop I sometimes find the shifting notchy.

When that happens I shift once, let the clutch out enough to engage the transmission slightly (while holding front brake tight), then clutch in and shift again.

I've found my bike really doesn't like shifting down more than one gear at a time.

But that's a little different than what the OP has asked I think.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 9:37 am

Mine did that very same thing when I first got it. The shifter would move but when it just wouldn't go in. The first time I realized it I was at a stop light and stalled because I was in second not first, re-started the bike and it went into first with ease.

I'd just forget about it. It will go away after it's broken in.
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 12:14 pm

ive noticed something close to this, where i shift down but it doesnt engage the next gear, just kinda clicks..i have to feather the clutch a little bit (let clutch lever out halfway and pull it back in again) and tap the shifter again. seems like this happens most when im wearing my mx or riding boots.
Back to top Go down
glock19

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 12:41 pm

I think it is just a combination of my bike being cold, not broken in and on its original oil. This hasn't happened while riding just once when I first started the bike and went to put in 1st there was no click, just stayed in neutral.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 12:51 pm

little squirt wrote:
ive noticed something close to this, where i shift down but it doesnt engage the next gear, just kinda clicks..i have to feather the clutch a little bit (let clutch lever out halfway and pull it back in again) and tap the shifter again. seems like this happens most when im wearing my mx or riding boots.

exactly .. thats a better description of what I was trying to explain
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Aren't all bikes like this? Every bike I ever road anyway.

Manual shift cars too for that matter.
Back to top Go down
bhmax

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 6:43 pm

I like my shifter pretty low. Got it too low at first and it just barely would touch the frame preventing a downshift. Had to raise it one notch from where I would really like for it to be.
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:02 am

I think when you're shifting, up OR down, in theory you're suppose to shift into a gear and let the clutch out, even if it's just slightly and engage that gear (at least a little) before pulling in the clutch and shifting into another gear. I've seen people ride in 4th gear, pull in the clutch and downshift, downshift, downshift and then let the clutch out in first. Although that work most of the time, in theory that's not how to do it.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:09 am

Practicing, or performing emergency braking, or working on perfecting your stoppie techniques means occasionally having to move through more than one gear while at a dead stop to get down to first.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 am

True, however, that may be a reason for not being able to downshift multiple gears. I've been in 3rd trying to shift down into 1st, and no matter how hard or how many times I press down on the shift lever, it only goes into 2nd.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 11:25 am

Weird! Suspect

One thing that really impressed me about my bike is that it shifted so effortlessly! Mine is a 08 w/ 1K miles. Maybe after logging some miles things will smooth out. dunno
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Midnite171 wrote:
True, however, that may be a reason for not being able to downshift multiple gears. I've been in 3rd trying to shift down into 1st, and no matter how hard or how many times I press down on the shift lever, it only goes into 2nd.

Every constant mesh transmission in the world is like this, cars are different and can go from 5th to 1st but bikes are sequential and cannot do this unless the shafts are rotated
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:06 pm

yeaup, it just seems there has to be a blip of the throttle and or a little clutch fanning in/out (half movement, not full in full out) while banging down gears, unless you have a slipper clutch or like a Rekluse setup.
Back to top Go down
The Yeti

The Yeti

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 6:17 pm

I had this problem once - shifter was loose on the splines!
Back to top Go down
onelove

onelove

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 12:01 am

I get a little something of what you got. I have had it stick in nutral or 2nd and not been able to get in to 1st. I useually mach revs as I down shift riding on the street and have no problems. When I come to a light, riding easy, and just pull the clutch, I have issues with getting locked in to 2nd or 3rd and it doesnt want to come down. BUT I have found that if i have the clutch pulled and downshift like always, even with out letting the cluch out, that it will drop the gears better. scratch

So I guess what Im saying is, blip the throttle a couple of times while down shifting ( even if you clutch is pulled) and see if that works.
How do you down shift when this happens?

I have rode Kawasakis for the most part and swear by the drive train and motors. I now have 2 Yamahas and they both have quarks with the trannies, both very similar.
I have no complaints about the motors, in fact they seem very stout and racy, frames seem like they are always a step ahead, and fit and finish is great( to look at a new R1 on the show room is breathtaking!!)
But they have a lot of recalls on many modles, my warrior had like 6, one was with the trannie ( could lock up and cause you to DIE!) NO SHIT!!!
So with all that said I like my WRX a lot and my warrior even more (I spend more time and money on it then I do my GF!!) And I ride them without fear of trouble, but its always in the back of my mind.
If any other manufacture could put out the bike that Yamaha does then I would buy one!! For real!! But, for the two bikes I wanted (small sumo & power cruiser that handles) there is no better looking and running bikes.

Sorry, way off track. I have been running Royal Purple in both bikes and they do perform and shift a little better. And It will not be noticeable the minute you go for a ride after you change the oil. in 5-600 miles later you might notice the motor feels a little different and the tranny is shifting smoother, or maybe not!!!!! Good luck man, I would like to know if it gets worse or not, as the miles go on. Keep us up to date!

usa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slight concern today   Slight concern today Empty

Back to top Go down

Slight concern today
Page 1 of 1