Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

flat rear tire

Go down 
+3
CaptTurbo
SheWolf
inspector
7 posters
AuthorMessage
inspector

inspector

flat rear tire Empty
PostSubject: flat rear tire   flat rear tire EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 6:58 pm

Ok, I went and got my first flat tire today. What are my options? Meaning.....

I need new tires anyway, so will order probably the 606's. Now do i order 1 tube and fix the second as a spare, or do i fix the tube and reuse it and use the new one as a spare? Or do i order two new ones and throw away the one?

*is there a product that actually works so I don't have to take off the tire to fix a flat on the trail, or is that the best way? Anybody use something and it work?

**i just convinced the wife to buy gear. Now i need tires, tools, blah,blah....this sucks.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

flat rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: flat rear tire   flat rear tire EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 7:59 pm

The tube snot works in a pinch but only if you don't have to go far. I patch up older tubes if they are still ok and the hole wasn't too big, otherwise I keep a new one handy. I would most certainly go with a new tube and replace it, and if the one you popped isn't too badly done, patch it up and keep it as a spare. thumb

flat rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: flat rear tire   flat rear tire EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 8:07 pm

If you don't do any highway riding, Slime actually works really well. I used it in all my dirt only tires when I was young since I didn't want the down time of flats or the exspense, and trouble of repairing them.

Sadly, Slime and products like it aren't a good choice for road going machines because of balance issues. What I do is to keep spare tubes on hand and patch the old ones. I don't mind re-using a patched tube but when I go about changing tires I have been known to pinch a tube here and there. It sure is nice to be able to (after the profanity and thrown objects moment abates) ... simply reach for the next tube and try again.
Back to top Go down
Fargo_Wolf

Fargo_Wolf

flat rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: flat rear tire   flat rear tire EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 8:58 pm

Carry a new tube or two with you, so that when you DO get a flat, you can put the new tube in and be on your way. Then when you have the time, patch the one with the puncture. thumb
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

flat rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: flat rear tire   flat rear tire EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 9:05 pm

Fargo_Wolf wrote:
Carry a new tube or two with you, so that when you DO get a flat, you can put the new tube in and be on your way. Then when you have the time, patch the one with the puncture. thumb

So you speak from experience I take it?
Back to top Go down

flat rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: flat rear tire   flat rear tire EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 9:16 pm

Yeah, on one of THESE:

flat rear tire MyRides004

I'd like to see him change a flat on a REAL dirtbike the same way he changes the one on his bicycle... poser2
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

flat rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: flat rear tire   flat rear tire EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 10:15 pm

Rimlocks, front tire on rear. Blah, Blah.

Went into the dealer to get a tube, spoons, etc... Partsman was trying to help when the salesman came over and helped. Came out with a front heavy duty tube, when i needed at a min a rear tube. GAHHHH So I need to go back for the rear now.

My question is, the quy talked me into 2 rimlocks. i dont think it is neccasarry but not sure. The front has a hole for one, doesn't that through the balance way off? Is there any way you guys can educate me a little?

*remember HF and (can't rember) adventure report over there? I see that kind of stuff once in awhile.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

flat rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: flat rear tire   flat rear tire EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 5:05 pm

Yeah, that other guy would be me . . . and I don't remember HF himself adding much to the report other than being in the pictures Rolling Eyes poser2

Anyway, since we have a lot of rocks here we tend to run higher tire pressures (~15-18psi), so rim locks aren't needed. If you are running crazy low pressures - like below 12psi you'll want them, otherwise they're more of a pain than they're worth. And yes, they will throw off the balance something fierce.

As far as spare tubes go, I ALWAYS carry both a front and a rear spare. Standard duty, not those massive heavy duty monstrosities since they don't pack very small. If one gets a hole, I replace it on the spot and carry the punctured one with me back home. If I make it all the way back home, I toss it and buy a new one to have as a spare. I won't put a patched tube back in unless it's an emergency, which is why I make sure to carry it with me until I can replace my spare.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

flat rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: flat rear tire   flat rear tire EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 8:00 pm

Sorry *inspector ducks and hides* I was so ingrossed with the Adventure didn't pay attention to who it was.

Thanks for the answer, I have decided to not use them unless I start having problems.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

flat rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: flat rear tire   flat rear tire EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Never had a heavy duty tube do anything a normal tube wouldn't do, they puncture and pinch just like any tube
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

flat rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: flat rear tire   flat rear tire Empty

Back to top Go down

flat rear tire
Page 1 of 1