Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators

Go down 
+5
Krabill
mr_beat
YamWOW!
SheWolf
mwakey
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mwakey

mwakey

Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators Empty
PostSubject: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 8:29 pm

So I'm gearing up for some long rides this summer and want to know what you guys carry to fix flat tires on the road and trails.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Links?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 9:44 pm

Let's see...:

For flats:
2 spare h/d tubes enclosed in a ziplock bag and baby powder
3 tire irons, 2 shorties and one longer one
mini compressor
spare valve stems
small travel shampoo bottle of dish soap
valve stem remover

For everything else:
small 1/4 drive multi-attachment socket/bit set
1-1/16 socket w/1/2" ratchet and small extension (fits both rear axle nut and the front sprocket)
small airtight jar of chainsaw oil
mini mag-lite
small extending magnet
spare xenon bulb
small box of ass't fuses
electrical tape
duct tape
shrink tube
lighter

Very happy

Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 10:42 pm

I just bought a Slime pump. I was going to see if it fits under the seat. It's pretty small. Here is a little info on ADVRider. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439866

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 10:48 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Let's see...:

For flats:
2 spare h/d tubes enclosed in a ziplock bag and baby powder
3 tire irons, 2 shorties and one longer one
mini compressor
spare valve stems
small travel shampoo bottle of dish soap
valve stem remover

For everything else:
small 1/4 drive multi-attachment socket/bit set
1-1/16 socket w/1/2" ratchet and small extension (fits both rear axle nut and the front sprocket)
small airtight jar of chainsaw oil
mini mag-lite
small extending magnet
spare xenon bulb
small box of ass't fuses
electrical tape
duct tape
shrink tube
lighter

Very happy

Thanks for the checklist. Good thing I got those saddle bags. But now I'm wondering if they will be big enough! What do you carry all that stuff in? I already have a good set of tools and spare parts, etc.. that I will carry. I just want something small to fix flats.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 10:52 pm

I carry it all in a Camelback-type backpack when I'm offroad. On road trips I usually have a backpack. In the process of making saddlebags, tank bag and tail bag. thumb

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 11:26 pm

YamWOW! wrote:
I just bought a Slime pump. I was going to see if it fits under the seat. It's pretty small. Here is a little info on ADVRider. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439866

Interesting thread. Thanks for the link. I never thought about removing the guts from a WallyWorld compressor. It would be ultra small, but sounds like more of a pain in the ass because of the moving parts and heat. The Slime pump looks good. I have a fairly small compressor I keep in the truck. I will probably just carry that one in the saddle bags and save my money for spare tubes. Good luck fitting the Slime under your seat. It looks too big for that little space, even if you have the flapper stuff out of the way.
Back to top Go down
mr_beat

PostSubject: Re: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 9:12 am

I was checking out the slime pump and it looks nice for the $$.

I usually ride withing 30-50miles of home and don't like to take much more than a backpack with me. I really don't know anything about changing a dual sport tire but have changed many mountain bike tires on the trails.

Is it basically the same idea? What would be some tools to take with you on a trip like this for a flat tire? The slime pump and some tire irons and a patch kit or tube? Are the tires hard to get on/off the rim?
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 9:32 am

I just carry a mtb hand pump, two short tire irons, two standard tubes (the hd tubes take up too much space), and a patch kit.
Back to top Go down
Fargo_Wolf

Fargo_Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 10:33 am

What is the baby powder for? scratch I guess it has something to do with moisture control or something.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 10:41 am

Fargo_Wolf wrote:
What is the baby powder for? scratch I guess it has something to do with moisture control or something.

Comp swimmers use it for the same reason, it's a friction control thing. It makes everything slide just a bit easier.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 11:02 am

*throws some on Fargo's genitalia*

Damn, I hear hissing...I think he sprung a leak... eeek
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 3:13 pm

I did the gutted wally world pump method several years ago for my road bike. Along w/ a repair kit, it saved my arse several times in some pretty remote areas.

One thing I didn't like is that the gutted pump, while small, was very clumsy and a bit fragile (lots of exposed, easy-to-break parts). Also, last time I used it, it took forever to fill a tire.

I'll use either a Slime or bicycle pump for the WRR. If a bicycle pump, I'll get one that pumps on both strokes for quicker filling.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 8:00 pm

Tibarus wrote:
Fargo_Wolf wrote:

Comp swimmers use it for the same reason, it's a friction control thing. It makes everything slide just a bit easier.

Actually, the baby powder is not for friction, it's to keep the rubber from sticking to itself when the tube is folded up in a wad in the bag.
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: baby powder   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 12:04 am

I was changing out my front 606 today and forgot to put baby powder on the tube. I was having a hell of a time getting it in the tire. I pulled the little bit of tube I was able to squeeze in, coated it with baby powder and it slip right back into the tire with ease. Much easier.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators   Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators Empty

Back to top Go down

Flat tires - repair kits and tire inflators
Page 1 of 1