Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How do you like your 13/48's

Go down 
+16
crazy_dave
ibusacap
blackheart
rodskies
IAmABug
jason meacham
deerHater
Just Bob
DougZ
duanew
TKO
germanwr250r
A66auto
Curbhopper
motokid
Rule292
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rule292

Rule292

How do you like your 13/48's Empty
PostSubject: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Didn't want to hijack Tony's thread but if you got a 13/48 combo tell me more please.

I have a 12/43 that I bought the bike with and it's just not working for me. I know I suck at the clutch (last bike I had/rod was in like 1988) but man, I can't master this thing no matter how much I've ridden it. (well, I've only had it since January) Very happy

I'm not too proud to admit that I've almost dumped it the other night when I downshifted into second instead of first for a slow but steep uphill right turn and the bike choked and died on me. In first this thing feels like my ricer DD, with too high (low numerically) first gear for the torque that it has.

I got no problem with the WR's power band or torque, I just don't like (my perceived) lack of starting torque in first (or second) gear. So I'm thinking of a rear sprocket upgrade (since I have the original 13t from the front).

Whit's it like on the superslab? Or on your flavor of the trails?

Grazie! thumb

Rob

Last edited by Rule292 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fatfingered, got stock 43t rear...)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 8:45 pm

If you're at 12/46, a 13/48 isn't gonna make much difference in seat of the pants feel.

That'd be my guess anyway.

I went from 12/42 to 13/48 and I love it.

Top speed with corrected speedometer is about 80-ish depending on the length of time spent at WOT.

I have a thread around here somewhere about top speeds at redline in certain gears.

Look around and you'll get a feel for where a 13/48 combo will put you in terms of asphalt.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Rule292

Rule292

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 9:12 pm

motokid wrote:
If you're at 12/46, a 13/48 isn't gonna make much difference in seat of the pants feel.

That'd be my guess anyway.

I went from 12/42 to 13/48 and I love it.

Top speed with corrected speedometer is about 80-ish depending on the length of time spent at WOT.

I have a thread around here somewhere about top speeds at redline in certain gears.

Look around and you'll get a feel for where a 13/48 combo will put you in terms of asphalt.

Oops, fatfingered that! I got the stock 43t rear not a 46.
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi Rob,

Owned 7 motorcycles and ridden maybe 15, with my limited experience - I can still say that I have never ridden a motorcycle that the clutch engages as early as the WRR.

I have stalled at least 5 times on blacktop when I first picked up the WRR.

During my first trail ride, I must have restarted 30+ times!!! It was very difficult for me to adjust to the early engagment of the clutch or the "feathering" of the clutch. Yeah, the WRR battery ROCKS! wings

I remember being stuck on a go around round, thats when you notice that the go around is really a dead end so a go around needs its own go around. Very happy Stalled 10+ I suck a little too. Shog

Its not YOU Rob, its the early engagement, maybe true dirt bikes are suppose to engage early so the lever doesn't have to be depressed all the way. Yamaha may have this in mind? I have never ridden a true dirt bike so I need someone to chime in on my theory.

On blacktop with stock speedo indicating 50 but my guess is 35 actual and in 4th floating, loving it. Having 2 more gears for the next 35+mph. No top speed with this combo yet. dunno Starting in 1st gear is no problem whatsoever!!!

Rob, I think there are many of us that have stalled many times also. Good luck with your change. Keep us updated. thumb

Tony
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 7:52 am

Yes - the stock speedo is off 7.7% or something of that nature.

The more you change the gearing, the more the speedometer is effected.

My 13/48 combo threw the speedo off by almost 25%.

12 o'clock labs makes a great, cheap, and easy to install "fix" for the speedometer correction.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptySun May 01, 2011 9:44 am

Took the 13t/48t to the Pine Barrens yesterday and it proves to be an ideal combo for me, I can start in 2nd when its flat and obstruction free.
I found the 1st gear to be very useful when going through switch backs where is deep soft slippery mud, I can go slow and power thru.

Mostly rode in 2nd and 3rd, some short sections allowed for 4th. Haven't found an opportunity to find top speed yet.

During a log crossing, I wheelied over it!!! Very happy

This new gearing provided me the sudden bursts of thrust that I need. (to learn how to jump whoops)

Tony
Back to top Go down
Rule292

Rule292

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyMon May 02, 2011 8:05 pm

Curbhopper wrote:
Took the 13t/48t to the Pine Barrens yesterday and it proves to be an ideal combo for me, I can start in 2nd when its flat and obstruction free.
I found the 1st gear to be very useful when going through switch backs where is deep soft slippery mud, I can go slow and power thru.

Mostly rode in 2nd and 3rd, some short sections allowed for 4th. Haven't found an opportunity to find top speed yet.

During a log crossing, I wheelied over it!!! Very happy

This new gearing provided me the sudden bursts of thrust that I need. (to learn how to jump whoops)

Tony

Yeah I think I see 13/48s in my future Tony.

Took the bike on an all afternoon/evening ride Saturday, with even a decent ride on gravel roads and some honest to g-d dirt and rocks and some sandy riverside mud (no real off road boots yet so I've stayed out of the fun stuff).

I've getting the clutch and powerband down, only stalled it maybe 2 or 3 times all day... Very happy

Nevertheless, I see the issue for me and it seems to be gearing. I got the engagement point of the clutch down but I still would like first to be a bit deeper. Playing with the clutch and no throttle and I was noticing that once the clutch engages the bike starts to move slowly and then drops in the vat of maple syrup and stalls. Yep, I know how to use gas/clutch, but a wee bit more gear would make the bike walk away easy like I want.

And I wire tied my Garmin 500 mount on the bars to check speedo error and get top speed readings. With my 12/43 combo the speedo showed about 10mph off at about 40, 11-12 at 55. On the ol interstate the bike had no problems at all getting into the mid 80's and didn't seem to be bouncing off the rev limiter.

This little thing really likes to hoof when the rpm's get up there.
Back to top Go down
A66auto

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 12:34 am

I got my 13/48 done today and it feels like a new bike. I surprised myself with a wheelie in 1st!!!!
Back to top Go down
germanwr250r

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 3:46 am

What have you made with the chain-management or chainguide at the sprocket? It seems that it waon't fit with a 48'. Actually i have changed 43 to 45- its realy tight with this thing. A 48' won't fit. Could i drive without that guide or do i have to pull it more gen engine??? Maybe could drill i third hole in to fix it...
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Great site for playing with different sprocket combo's on different bikes: Gearing Commander
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 4:29 pm

germanwr250r wrote:
What have you made with the chain-management or chainguide at the sprocket? It seems that it waon't fit with a 48'. Actually i have changed 43 to 45- its realy tight with this thing. A 48' won't fit. Could i drive without that guide or do i have to pull it more gen engine??? Maybe could drill i third hole in to fix it...

Not sure what you're asking here. Lost in translation perhaps? scratch

If you want a 13/48 gearing combination you'll need a longer chain than the stock one Yamaha supplies.

There's plenty of clearance in chain guides and there's no drilling required. scratch

dunno dunno dunno

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
germanwr250r

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 5:35 am

In front of the sprocket(rear wheel): there is a "thing" that leads the chain to the sprocket. This "thing" is to close to the sprocket: there is no problem with a 43' but it won't fit with a 48'- the 45 sprocket is even to close to that "thing"(chainquide?): there are only a few mm between that thing and the sprocket... What have you done with that thing? Could i drive without it?
Hope you could understand what i mean now- i no other id to discripe what i mean.
In germany we call that thing: Kettenführung (chainleader)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 6:29 am

Can you post a picture?

Here's mine. Are you talking about the piece hanging from the underside of the swingarm? The silver part?

How do you like your 13/48's DSCN1195

Only thing I can tell you is I have a 13/38 set of sprockets on my US model 2008 wr250x.

I had to buy a longer chain and two new sprockets. (I wanted to replace the Yamaha 13t front with aftermarket)

There was no drilling or removing of any other Yamaha installed parts other than the stock chain and stock sprockets.

How do you like your 13/48's DSCN1964

If you have something different on your 250 it might be a European model addition perhaps?
Hopefully you can post a picture of what you're concerned about.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 6:29 am

Can you post a picture?

Here's mine. Are you talking about the piece hanging from the underside of the swingarm? The silver part?

How do you like your 13/48's DSCN1195

Only thing I can tell you is I have a 13/48 set of sprockets on my US model 2008 wr250x.

I had to buy a longer chain and two new sprockets. (I wanted to replace the Yamaha 13t front with aftermarket)

There was no drilling or removing of any other Yamaha installed parts other than the stock chain and stock sprockets.

How do you like your 13/48's DSCN1964

If you have something different on your 250 it might be a European model addition perhaps?
Hopefully you can post a picture of what you're concerned about.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 12:22 pm

Motokid

It looks like you have your chain pretty long and have your axle pretty far back in the adjusters. I think that this might help with the clearance between the guard and the sprocket.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 2:29 pm

In the first picture (no chain) the axle is all the way back in the slot.

However, once I cut chain to length my axle sits as close to the middle of the adjustment slot as I could get.

That shouldn't be a concern in this case. No clearance issues with chain guards. No drilling.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
germanwr250r

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 6:21 am

Yes i mean the silver thing... It was my misstake: if i take a longer chain (112 i think), the sprocket comes out of this thing (the sprocket comes back). Sorry, i don' t tbink on that.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:06 pm

2010 WR250 R

wanna go to 13/48 combo ( now at 12/43).

Will stock chain be long enough??

If not, is it long enough for 13/47?

TIA thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:16 pm

DougZ wrote:

No.

No.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:21 pm

motokid wrote:
DougZ wrote:

No.

No.

I could have sworn I saw guys on ADV say you can do a 47 with the stock R chain. I imagine the X chain is less links??
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:51 pm

45 rings more of a bell to me....and that's with next to no adjustment left .....

I have an X, and there's no way a 13/48 combo would have worked with stock chain.
I had to add 4 links.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks Motokid. Skierd on ADV confirmed the same thing you were saying. I'll stick with the 12/43 for now..not enough fundage to buy chain and sprox. So far, my slider is fine....2200 miles with 12T. I keep an eye on it though.
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 8:42 pm

I just went 13/48 with an alu rear sprocket and non-O-ring chain. I figure at 250cc I'll take every weight and friction break I can get. I had forgotten it was 112 links on the 48 so I just ordered up the standard 120 link and cut it down. Axle is dead center in the adjustment range. WOT in sixth gear is way faster than I need to travel on the slab. No problemo. First gear will be great in tight off-road stuff. Now if the sun would come out...
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 8:46 pm

I have been seeing those non Oring/Xring chain when looking for stuff, and wondering what is up with them??

Doesn't one want those little rings on their chains?

Is this a common dirtbike thing, no o rings??

How long would they last??
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:08 am

DougZ wrote:
I have been seeing those non Oring/Xring chain when looking for stuff, and wondering what is up with them??

Doesn't one want those little rings on their chains?

Is this a common dirtbike thing, no o rings??

How long would they last??

1. Lower friction losses. And instead of using chain wax I'm using a lightweight Repsol racing lube, a drilled drive sprocket and an aluminium wheel sprocket.

2. Yes - For longevity and to keep out dirt and keep grease in.

3. If you're a racer, its d-riguer... Or like me; an old fart with a shop that is a fanatical cleaner / maintainer / tweeker.

4. If you don't maintain them, not too long. This is a first for me. We'll see. If I let it dry out for a day the salt put on the roads here will turn it into morning wood. They are a bit cheaper up front. But you can trash an O or X ring chain by not maintaining it as well.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you like your 13/48's
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sprockets and Chains-
Jump to: