Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How do you like your 13/48's

Go down 
+16
crazy_dave
ibusacap
blackheart
rodskies
IAmABug
jason meacham
deerHater
Just Bob
DougZ
duanew
TKO
germanwr250r
A66auto
Curbhopper
motokid
Rule292
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DougZ

DougZ

How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 7:16 pm

OK Bob, thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 9:27 am

motokid wrote:
In the first picture (no chain) the axle is all the way back in the slot.

However, once I cut chain to length my axle sits as close to the middle of the adjustment slot as I could get.

That shouldn't be a concern in this case. No clearance issues with chain guards. No drilling.
That's the info I need! thumb

Since your 13/48 with 112 links puts it in the middle of the adjusters, do you think 112 links would work with both 13/47 and 13/49? I'd use the 47 for my stock X wheels, and 49 for Wheeling R wheels. Assuming I can get 47 and 49 size sprockets - I'm a newbie to gearing changes....

Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 12:20 am

Ijust went to 48t from 47t,,,,I liked the 47 but the 48 feels even better,,,,I just wish I did it when I first got my wrr
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 1:53 am

Rule292 wrote:
Didn't want to hijack Tony's thread but if you got a 13/48 combo tell me more please.

I have a 12/43 that I bought the bike with and it's just not working for me. I know I suck at the clutch (last bike I had/rod was in like 1988) but man, I can't master this thing no matter how much I've ridden it. (well, I've only had it since January) :D

I'm not too proud to admit that I've almost dumped it the other night when I downshifted into second instead of first for a slow but steep uphill right turn and the bike choked and died on me. In first this thing feels like my ricer DD, with too high (low numerically) first gear for the torque that it has.

I got no problem with the WR's power band or torque, I just don't like (my perceived) lack of starting torque in first (or second) gear. So I'm thinking of a rear sprocket upgrade (since I have the original 13t from the front).

Whit's it like on the superslab? Or on your flavor of the trails?

Grazie! :thumb:

Rob

Are you looking for street or bush performance?

I am running12/47 with a 110 link chain. I can still hit 110(70mph) easy on the highway, 100 kph is the usual fastest posted limit. For the bush it rocks. Easily lift the front 1->3 and with help, ie. a bump in 4th. On longer logging road and highway runs I throw the 13 back on the front.  Works well.
Back to top Go down
rodskies

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 2:26 am

got a new 13/48 on to replace the 14/43 the previous owner had. New o-ring chain 112 link too.

It's a whole new bike; pulls HARD and feels alot buzzier. I'm not sure how I like it for commuting to school/work (country highway 50mph, 10 mins or so freeway 60-70mph). 6th gear is used pretty much the whole time and the rpms are up there most of the time. I know these bikes are designed to be revved up but freeway speeds seem a little stressful. Tried it out on some gravel and MAN IT IS FUN! Just rips around no problem (shinko 705's)

I kind of want to see if a 14/48 will tone it down a little for my commuting usage, but I'll give this setup a couple more weeks to settle in. It's wicked fun though!
Back to top Go down
blackheart

blackheart

PostSubject: 13/49 to 13/48....way better for road    How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 10:34 pm

I really liked the 13/49 gearing for the mountains of NM and CO. But found it a bit low when I rode mostly pavement to GA.

Here I finally changed to a 48 and think I have found the opt combo. Lots of sand here and the gearing works great so far. I still start in second and find 70 a lot smoother. (not wound as tight) thumb
Back to top Go down
ibusacap

ibusacap

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 12:33 am

I put a 13/48t Renthal rear sprocket and I still hit 91 mph (as per GPS) it was a whole lot louder at that speed than with 13/43. I went on some pretty steep mountains and it does much much better than the 43t. On one hill I was going up I shifted down to what I thought was first turned out to be neutral started her back up and climbed right up. I went up to the mountains awhile ago with the 43t rear sprocket and it was so much harder to get up the mountain I had to keep revving it up stalling it and starting over again.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:28 am

ibusacap wrote:
I put a 13/48t Renthal rear sprocket and I still hit 91 mph (as per GPS)

eeek eeek eeek

Damn....that's about the fastest speed I've seen anyone post with a 13/48

And you're on an R????? With knobby tires??????????? budah

What other mods you have? Pipe? Programmer? Airbox? Big-bore?

How long did you have the throttle pinned in 6th gear to reach 91 mph?
Miles and miles?

Was gravity helping you? Strong tail-wind?

hide

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 6:49 am

Hey all,
I just picked up a new to me 08 wr250r that I’m thinking will replace my much loved DR650. I still have to put the little WR through the paces to make sure it can be made to do what I’m asking of it, but so far so good.
I just got it on the road last night so I haven’t had much seat time. The bike currently has 13/45 gearing. The thing that stood out to me was that 6th gear just feels (dead) for a lack of a better word. I had to really rev it up in 5th to get it up to 65 and then 6th was kinda like O/D. It would maintain speed but wouldn’t pick up any more when I got on the throttle, Unacceptable! So I think I’m going to go w/ the 13/48.
I’m going to be dual sport this bike so there will be some road riding. I sure that If I go 13/48 it will give me better pull thru the gears but will I be over revving it on the slab at 70MPH?

Funny thing about this bike.
My DR650 and KTM 450EXC both have a lot of low end grunt. I can clutch them up to the BP and ride wheelies for miles.
I tried that with the WR last night and just could not get the front up in 2nd ! I kept hearing this funny noise and smelling burning rubber. Went back to look and sure as shit there were a cupola 6ft burn outs going down the road. Holy $hit, it was breaking the rear wheel loose! LOL . It just struck me as funny because I had to rev the bike so high. With a lil clutch/throttle moderation I was able to dial it in better and road some nice ones out.

Last edited by crazy_dave on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 7:13 am

No. 70mph is no problem.

You do need to know that your speedometer will be FUBAR'd with more gearing changes.

It's already a mess at 13/45 - unless you use a gps or have a speedo-corrector already on the bike.

My X tops out at 84-85 mph with 13/48 and has no problem ripping up to 70-75 mph.
Of course I'm not shy with pushing up to the rev limiter in most situations either.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Peterbuilt

Peterbuilt

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 10:22 am

What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting with the 13/48..

I'm getting about 115km (about 72 miles) on a tank..

Is this normal or should I get more. Mostly in town riding, with light rips on the highway.

thanks
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 11:12 am

I average about 50-55 mpg....so I fall right into that 70-75 miles before the reserve light comes on.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
ibusacap

ibusacap

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 7:06 pm

The only thing I have on my bike is the ais removal and pro-taper handle bars. I did have a very long stretch of open road with no wind at all when I hit 91 mph. My mpg is around 50 mpg but I haven't tried to drive civilized to see what kind of difference that would make.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 7:26 pm

ibusacap wrote:
I put a 13/48t Renthal rear sprocket and I still hit 91 mph (as per GPS) it was a whole lot louder at that speed than with 13/43. I went on some pretty steep mountains and it does much much better than the 43t. On one hill I was going up I shifted down to what I thought was first turned out to be neutral started her back up and climbed right up. I went up to the mountains awhile ago with the 43t rear sprocket and it was so much harder to get up the mountain I had to keep revving it up stalling it and starting over again.

ibusacap wrote:
The only thing I have on my bike is the ais removal and pro-taper handle bars. I did have a very long stretch of open road with no wind at all when I hit 91 mph. My mpg is around 50 mpg but I haven't tried to drive civilized to see what kind of difference that would make.

Color me skeptical....but if you say so.

Stock exhaust. Stock intake. 13/48 gearing. Knobbie tires. 91mph on gps. scratch

I have after-market exhaust (with stock header), open airbox, a fuel programmer, Distanzias, and I've never seen anything north of 85-86mph.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 8:20 pm

By my calculations using Google Maps mileages, my odo is off 12.8%. This with 13/48 gearing. If I add the 7.7% the stock geared speedo is off I get a 20 1/2% speed error. So when the gauge says 70, I'm actually doing 55 mph. Or thereabouts. I'm too poor to buy a GPS. Figure I'd break it anyway. So if I were to go 91 the speedo would say 114 mph!

One of my favorite things about this bike is 55 feels like 90. Gotta say, the KTM 950 has been getting ignored.
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Peterbuilt wrote:
What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting with the 13/48..

I'm getting about 115km (about 72 miles) on a tank..

Is this normal or should I get more. Mostly in town riding, with light rips on the highway.

thanks

Just got mine, so I have only done only a few fill-ups. Sunday, I went 137 kilometers from full to low fuel light, + 7 kms to the gas station, where it took 5.9 liters. That's 89 miles.

So 4.13 L / 100 km, or 57 MPG. Riding was mostly 2-lane backroads and gravel roads, at 50-80 kph

Gearing = 12/43
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 2:49 pm

I'm around 57 mpg - 13/48.
Back to top Go down
ibusacap

ibusacap

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 2:44 pm

motokid wrote:
ibusacap wrote:

ibusacap wrote:

Color me skeptical....but if you say so.

Stock exhaust. Stock intake. 13/48 gearing. Knobbie tires. 91mph on gps. scratch

I have after-market exhaust (with stock header), open airbox, a fuel programmer, Distanzias, and I've never seen anything north of 85-86mph.

I went out for another run with my gps and figured out why I thought I went 91 mph which by the way turned out to be 83 mph. When you get going faster the speedo is off more than it is at 35 mph so I figured when I saw 101 I was going 91. When I was actually going 83 and I had that thing hammered for awhile and she didn't want to go no faster.
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 4:25 pm

My bike came with 13/48 and i hated it. After 2 weeks I threw on the stock rear sproket. There was nothing more annoying than having to shift 4 times just getting up to 35-40mph lol. I also ride the hwy for short stints. If everyone drove 65mph, it might be doable. Even then, I felt like i was going to toss a rod at any moment. Problem is most ppl drive 70-75 around here. With the 290 kit, the stock gearing works perfectly for me.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 4:41 pm

So - to be real here for a minute.

With a 13/48 gearing combination I hit rev limiter in THIRD gear at about 48-49 mph.

So it's only two shifts to be going 35-40 mph. 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd. Two shifts. Not four.

That's if you're riding her like you stole her in first and second gear.

If you shift at 3000-4000 rpm it might take you 4 shifts (which puts you in 5th gear) to get to 40 mph.

Just to be clear. amazon

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Lol, thanks motokid. I was slightly exaggerating. I generally keep my RPMs on the lower side when just cruising around on surface streets. So I would assume I keep it in one gear higher than most do.

The bike was just too jerky and on and off the throttle with that gearing. Maybe I'm just a noob to dirtbikes, dunno. If i was on the stock bottom end, my gear choice might be different.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 6:55 pm

I've tried 42 and 52...the jerkiness of the throttle is still there.
The throttle topic is well under way on its own. You could search them.

To me, changing the rear sprocket only effects first gear...one should dial it in to where they want it.
Besides that, I didnt buy this bike for sixth gear alone...it's just a nice bonus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your 13/48's   How do you like your 13/48's - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you like your 13/48's
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sprockets and Chains-
Jump to: