Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

My Full WR250X review. ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS

Go down 
+7
YZEtc
rydnseek
motokid
trav72
no.17
skierd
bren5279
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Akasy

My Full WR250X review.    ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Full WR250X review. ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS   My Full WR250X review.    ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Yep not saying it was up to say a CBR600 which will rear wheel dyno in the 70+ HP range but the 2T 250 would most likely dyno in the 60 HP range so it would be at somewhat of a disadvantage HP wise but then you consider around 300lbs to move vice 370+ for the 600 and things start to get "more equal" and rider capability can cover that--just ask anyone who has had to follow me at a walking speed thru deep sand whoops!

bren5279 wrote:
Akasy wrote:
Your comparison is significantly flawed. The NSR250 was a 250cc bike--a 250cc two stroke twin weighing in around 300 lbs. Common racing conversion comparison for two stroke to four stroke is two to one, so the NSR was right in the power window for running against 600cc four strokes. Rider capability can easily explain the track results for comparable bikes.

OHHHHHH so thats why!!! WTF thats not a big wow at all!! I had a kx85 that we bored to a 110 and did a whole bunch of mods to, that thing was a frikin missle, wheelied in every single gear without even trying. it kept up with my 450f with absolutly no problem.
Yeah if that was a 250 four stroke I would have been astonished.

Doesnt matter how good you are if the bike cant do what you are asking it to do. EX you wont beat any 450f on a ttr90 no matter how dam pro you are. Sure a pro with a lower bike can beat an amature with a better bike, but that doesnt change the bike itself.....

you can take an orange and paint it red/green and put it in with apples , but its still an orange....
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Re: My Full WR250X review. ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS   My Full WR250X review.    ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 11:24 am

"Your comparison is significantly flawed. The NSR250 was a 250cc bike--a 250cc two stroke twin weighing in around 300 lbs. Common racing conversion comparison for two stroke to four stroke is two to one, so the NSR was right in the power window for running against 600cc four strokes. Rider capability can easily explain the track results for comparable bikes."

Would be sort of true, except that the 250cc old technology (skinny tires, flexi-frame, and a rider who hadn't been on a track for a decade) was frying liter (1 liter = 1,000cc, not 600cc) new technology and riders who considered themselves currently competitive. The only comparison to make was rider capability and the "bigger is better" fallacy.

A young friend who started on liter sportbikes and used to argue that he couldn't imagine how I commuted on LA freeways on my XT360 (in the 80's) started racing a decade ago. In MN, he argued that his liter bike got him "out of trouble" more easily than my SV650 could do for me. Racing, he started out on a liter bike. Crashed and chewed off his forefinger to the 1st knuckle. Moved down to the 650 twin class. Crashed a bunch of times and lost a toe. Moved to the 500cc class and started to get better. Moved back to the 650 and still remained whole and competitive. Is now in SF and an expert on a liter bike, but his street bike is a 250.

In the comparison above, the two-stroke vs four-stroke argument missed the point. The point was the NSR rider carried a lot more speed into the corner, accelorated through the corner and didn't need wheel-lifting power to make up for parking in the turns.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: My Full WR250X review. ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS   My Full WR250X review.    ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 1:27 pm

twday wrote:

The point was the NSR rider carried a lot more speed into the corner, accelorated through the corner and didn't need wheel-lifting power to make up for parking in the turns.

Ding ding ding....this is the point that seems to have been missed multiple times in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Track   My Full WR250X review.    ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Need to check your original post your were the one that said "NSR250 to put on the track with all the 600cc-liter 4-cylinder " I just took the lower end of your example.
My point was your example did not address the fact that the 250 was a 2T--makes a world of difference.
Regardless of the speed one carries into the corner no 250cc four stroke is going to compare well to a 600 or 1000 with the same rider capability--just not going to happen. Now a 250cc two stroke can get into the same power range and given the lighter weight--which I pointed out--and with the same rider can more closely match lap times.
Be glad to watch any videos or reports of a WR250X on the podium in the 600 or 1000 classes.

twday wrote:
"Your comparison is significantly flawed. The NSR250 was a 250cc bike--a 250cc two stroke twin weighing in around 300 lbs. Common racing conversion comparison for two stroke to four stroke is two to one, so the NSR was right in the power window for running against 600cc four strokes. Rider capability can easily explain the track results for comparable bikes."

Would be sort of true, except that the 250cc old technology (skinny tires, flexi-frame, and a rider who hadn't been on a track for a decade) was frying liter (1 liter = 1,000cc, not 600cc) new technology and riders who considered themselves currently competitive. The only comparison to make was rider capability and the "bigger is better" fallacy.

A young friend who started on liter sportbikes and used to argue that he couldn't imagine how I commuted on LA freeways on my XT360 (in the 80's) started racing a decade ago. In MN, he argued that his liter bike got him "out of trouble" more easily than my SV650 could do for me. Racing, he started out on a liter bike. Crashed and chewed off his forefinger to the 1st knuckle. Moved down to the 650 twin class. Crashed a bunch of times and lost a toe. Moved to the 500cc class and started to get better. Moved back to the 650 and still remained whole and competitive. Is now in SF and an expert on a liter bike, but his street bike is a 250.

In the comparison above, the two-stroke vs four-stroke argument missed the point. The point was the NSR rider carried a lot more speed into the corner, accelorated through the corner and didn't need wheel-lifting power to make up for parking in the turns.
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Re: My Full WR250X review. ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS   My Full WR250X review.    ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:06 am

My bet would be that if you put a great rider on a WR250X in a tight supermoto track with all of those poser Hypermotards, Diavels, and SM's, you'd see a WR on the podium. I really want to see a Hypermotard in the whoops or on a big jump. Now that's comedy.

The NSR250 put out a red hot 45-60hp. Right up there with a modern 600cc, right? Only if Harley made a 600.
Back to top Go down
lantern23

lantern23

PostSubject: Re: My Full WR250X review. ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS   My Full WR250X review.    ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 9:30 pm

we just need these. . .http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?91117-My-Yamaha-XT-660-X
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Full WR250X review. ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS   My Full WR250X review.    ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My Full WR250X review. ALL POTENTIAL WRX BUYERS READ THIS
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2