Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chain oilers

Go down 
+3
SpiritWolf15
SheWolf
Chadx
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chadx

Chain oilers Empty
PostSubject: Chain oilers   Chain oilers EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 3:48 pm

A place to discuss chain oilers.

Anyone using them, yet? Or just going with the Sidewinder O-ring chain lube that everyone is taking up?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Chain oilers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain oilers   Chain oilers EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm a bit leery with the oilers...to me that would work great on an X, but for the R2 I'm thinking more stuff to get torn off, plugged up, etc. due to offroad riding. Call me old school; I am still running the 520 and a good dose of Motul.

SpiritWolf15

Chain oilers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain oilers   Chain oilers EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 3:09 am

I dunno if mountain bike experience will play big here, but on my Norco Bigfoot, I tried a cleaner/oiler gear clip on thing a while back, worked great as Shewolf said, on the street, but as soon as I got even SLIGHTLY off road (the park trail down to the sailing center) the thing bunged itself up, took forever to free and I had to get a new chain and front derailer...

Me personally, I wouldn't risk it, since the same respective components on a WR could mean rebuilding the engine, just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Broo C em

Chain oilers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain oilers   Chain oilers EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 3:50 pm

I've used a couple over the years, first was a ScotOiler & then a LoobMan. . . . the L/M is much simpler (you just give it a squeeze occasionally) but I'ld say that unless you are going to be doing LOTS of roadmiles then dont bother. In fact why have a WRr in that case anyway?

In 'dirt useage' there'll be so much crud buildup & associated wear that an oiler likely wont help . .. . it MIGHT evn make things worse by providing a glue to make grit stick together = abrasive/grinding paste!

Anyow, arent O-ring chains supposedly sealed & lubed for life?

My own 'best practice' is to just give the chain a light spray with CRC/WD etc immediately after rides to stop surface rust.

HTH
bROOc DownUnder Shog
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

Chain oilers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain oilers   Chain oilers EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 4:02 pm

Broo C em wrote:
... arent O-ring chains supposedly sealed & lubed for life?

My own 'best practice' is to just give the chain a light spray with CRC/WD etc immediately after rides to stop surface rust.

HTH
bROOc DownUnder Shog

As far as I know O-ring chains are sealed but not "lubed for life". They still require lube. And not just any lube, but lube made for O-ring chains. If you are using WD-40 or CRC on your O-ring chain you are doing damage to the O-rings in the long run. WD & CRC will degrade, soften and expand the rubber rings to the point they don't seal anymore, or just plain fall off from rot. Use a good name O-ring chain lube.
Back to top Go down
Machtig

Chain oilers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain oilers   Chain oilers EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 3:52 pm

I use the sidewinder stuff. I've only been using it for a few miles so cannot comment too much on it, but so far, so good. I did clean the chair really well before I used it though.
Back to top Go down
skrew

Chain oilers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain oilers   Chain oilers EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 5:39 am

A year with Scottoiler vSystem. Great experience.
Here is my topic about it https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5705-scottolier-on-my-wrx-no-problem
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chain oilers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain oilers   Chain oilers Empty

Back to top Go down

Chain oilers
Page 1 of 1