Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Holy cow! First ride in 20 years!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Walter Matthau

Holy cow!  First ride in 20 years! Empty
PostSubject: Holy cow! First ride in 20 years!   Holy cow!  First ride in 20 years! EmptySun May 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Took the "new" (used '09, purchased 2 weeks ago) WRR to Badlands offoroad park (south of Attica, Indiana) today. Had a great time. Only a few unscheduled stops, no major injuries, had a great workout, and re-gained some confidence after a brief hiatus from off-roading.

Taking a break, letting the heat from the sandy/gravelly earth soak into my back muscles, I started counting back. Let's see. I had the XR350 up until I gave it away last year (bike muddy from big flood, and didn't think my damaged right knee would withstand kick starting it.). BUT, although I'd owned it the whole time, the last time I actually rode in the dirt was the Red River cycle ranch, back when I lived in Dallas. I left Dallas in 1991, so....Holy Crap! 20 years!

I can't believe it's been 20 years since I turned a throttle in anger. I don't feel that old. At least, I didn't while I was riding. (Einstein was right; time slows while you're accelerating!) Tomorrow may be a different story. Seems like I rode every day between age 11 and 21, then every once in a while till 30, then....life. Now, at 47, it's time to get at it, before I lose it altogether.

Now I've gotta get some decent gear (in a hurry to ride, took what gear I had; open face "NASCAR" style helmet from other racing hobby, military boots, cargo pants, long sleeve "holey" shirt), drop the gearing a little, and figure out what (if any) type of tire works on this crazy sandy, gravelly mix at this riding park. Geez, it felt more like slalom skiing than dirt-biking.

The hills were massive fun, the weird soil less so. Hope to find somebody to ride with, who maybe knows the woodsy trails.

Folks, thanks for turning me on to the WRR. This has been a re-birth experience for me, and I hope to still be doing this for many, many years.
Holy cow!  First ride in 20 years! 2408796500025665103wFMNKT
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Holy cow! First ride in 20 years!   Holy cow!  First ride in 20 years! EmptySun May 22, 2011 10:55 pm

It's an addicting little beast, ain't it...? Very happy thumb freaky

PostSubject: Re: Holy cow! First ride in 20 years!   Holy cow!  First ride in 20 years! EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Oh yeah. Power delivery like a 2 stoke, but with some grunt at bottom for unforeseen difficulties. Feels like the bike I used to ride in hare scrambles in my teens (a Honda MR175), but with suspension. Doesn't feel like it weighs 300 lbs (thankfully!).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holy cow! First ride in 20 years!   Holy cow!  First ride in 20 years! Empty

Back to top Go down

Holy cow! First ride in 20 years!
Page 1 of 1