Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Driving Tax????

Go down 
+7
dtx
0007onWR
BuilderBob
mordicai
trav72
YZEtc
motokid
11 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 6:31 am

click me to read

In a nut shell:

Cars are getting better gas mileage. So money raised by taxing gas is declining even if miles traveled grows.

Roads need repairs. Repairs cost money. Not enough money. Must figure out way to get more money.

"I know, instead of taxing gas bought, or better yet, on top of taxing gas bought, let's tax miles traveled too."

Apparently this is just in the idea stage now, and there's no laws pending for such a tax at the moment, but .......

GAHHHH baldy BOOM

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 7:47 am

Not surprised this is proposed because it was probably planned a long time ago for future use.
Eventually and incrementally, your grandkids will probably be taxed on breathing via some kind of air tax.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 8:19 am

Yeah the the gov't can go f*ck itself if it thinks it's going to track where I go and how much I drive. Not going to happen. Driving Tax???? Boid
Back to top Go down
mordicai

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 9:10 am

They'll have to pry my gun out of my cold dead hands !
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 9:34 am

I predicted that this would happen more than a year ago. Since road taxes are tacked on to fuel prices, better efficiency means less revenue for the government, and in the case of all-electric cars like the Leaf, it means no revenue.

The taxes are unavoidable. If you use the public roads, you have some obligation to support them. It's going to be a very sticky issue though, especially if taxes become based on actual road usage instead of fuel usage. I don't want some device in my car, truck or motorcycle uploading mileage and god knows what other data about my driving habits to the government.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Ya I don't buy into the cash grab crap
In Canada the tax is something like 65% but the price of fuel has gone from 35c per liter to $1.35 per liter in the past 10 years ago so the tax collected has tripled
There's more people driving today as population increases so I doubt there is less fuel being sold because of better fuel economy

Fuel is only one thing that we are getting screwed on, liquor is as bad or worse

The govt does not want anyone to stop buying gas guzzlers, booze and cigarettes, and they don't want you in electric cars as it would injure the tax base
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 6:50 pm

thats a good point,a hybred or electric car travels the same roads for less or no fuel tax from the pump.
so they dont pay anything or pay less than everyone else. So if that little st*t box falls in a pothole they have nothing to bitch about.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Ya, so get ready for the govt to tax an industry to death as soon as it becomes successful
Look what they did to Propane vehicles, it made sense and there was a whole industry built around it, now it's gone
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 8:35 pm

funny you should say that.
still have a 56gal tank,and all the other stuff.should tap my 1000 gal and run tax free
wink
Back to top Go down
IndigoWolf

IndigoWolf

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 8:45 pm

do you think we could convert a WR/r/x to propane?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 10:14 pm

I'd rather do diesel. Way cheaper.

mucker

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptySat May 28, 2011 12:14 am

i have no issues payin my way...for what i use.
Where I come from...gas taxes were suppose to cover road/hwy expenses.
...but like any good revenue...funds get diverted, sometimes , permanently.
Pay per use, would work well for me...but gold card holders seem to expect more...
anywho, just me...

Back to top Go down
joenuclear

joenuclear

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptySat May 28, 2011 1:33 am

SheWolf wrote:
I'd rather do diesel. Way cheaper.

Not in the states.
Back to top Go down
IndigoWolf

IndigoWolf

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptySat May 28, 2011 5:48 am

Once you calculate out the mpg's and service life of the engine, diesel is really the way to go... much cheaper ... ton's of low end grunt too.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptySat May 28, 2011 8:44 am

You could run on lp no problem,it is cheeper than diesel. i pay 2.35/gal-customer owned
fuel lock would be no big deal as it is liquid.only has a throttle body so thats not a biggie. now a tank that looks good is gonna cost ya.
could hang a small D.O.T on the rear,gonna look like crap however.
Its not that it cannot be done. A wr250r/x may not be a good platform.

ya know the other day i saw one of the us gov honda diesel mc for sale on c-list,i knew thew made them but you never see them.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? EmptySat May 28, 2011 10:15 am

IndigoWolf wrote:
Once you calculate out the mpg's and service life of the engine, diesel is really the way to go... much cheaper ... ton's of low end grunt too.

This is why I said what I did. All our new vehicles that we've been getting are all diesel. 04 Golf which has never given an ounce of trouble, we bit the bullet and got an 09 GM Duramax 2 years ago and it's just such a joy to drive. I think on a bike like this, it would be the ticket if it ever came down to it. thumb

Driving Tax???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving Tax????   Driving Tax???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Driving Tax????
Page 1 of 1