Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stock WR height for city driving?

Go down 
+7
sswrx
motokid
Coop
skierd
IAmABug
jason meacham
shep546
11 posters
AuthorMessage
shep546

Stock WR height for city driving? Empty
PostSubject: Stock WR height for city driving?   Stock WR height for city driving? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Hey guys,

my wr250r is my first bike, finished my MSF course and got about 1,000kms on it so far.

My question is I find the bike to be very tall... I'm 6'0 and I find coming to stops a lot in heavy traffic I need to plan my stop almost perfectly so I can get that foot down planted good otherwise I'm gonna lay the bike down.

When I'm at red lights for a long time I find my leg cramps up and I was wondering if I should invest in a Yamalink? How many people actually find the stock height comfortable for city driving?
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Stock WR height for city driving?   Stock WR height for city driving? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 8:43 pm

I think the more time and miles you put on your wrr the shorter it will feel.....when I first got my wrr in 2008 I was going to lower it, but after a while the bike didn't feel as tall............... bannana
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Stock WR height for city driving?   Stock WR height for city driving? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 8:52 pm

I am 5'6. When I bought the bike I got a yamalink and lowered the rear shock with the oem adjustment. I also lowered the front forks .8". It is still tall and I had a hard time at lights at first. Over time, it became second nature. I just got into position automaticlly. Since, around 3500km, I have raised the front forks and reversed the oem adjustment on the rear shock. I still have the yamalink. I find the bike is much happier in the trees and getting over logs is easier thanks to the added ground clearance.

I would try the oem adjustment first, free. Overtime, as previously said, the bike becomes shorter with confidence and practice.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Stock WR height for city driving?   Stock WR height for city driving? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 4:23 am

I love the tall seat height for urban riding, makes planning and running through traffic so much easier because I can see above and around everything on the road, plus being taller I'm more visible. I had some similar feelings when I started riding, but you'll get used to the height. At 6'0" it won't be an issue for long imo as you're fairly tall unless its all torso.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Stock WR height for city driving?   Stock WR height for city driving? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 6:43 am

I'm 5'11" and have been riding for 32 years. I used the OEM shock lowering adjustment and slid the forks up a little and I feel much more sure footed now. I have put about 2000 miles on since I've done this and don't see me turning it back to stock anytime soon. Also make sure you set the rear sag properly, that helps too.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Stock WR height for city driving?   Stock WR height for city driving? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 7:30 am

I'm 5'8" with a 32-33 inch inseam.

Nothing lowered, except the damn hard-ass Step-seat gives me about an inch lower seat height.

No problems.

Tippy-toes are fine. The bike is very lightweight.

Or one foot it.

Unless you're on a very steep grade, and sitting sideways, you should be more than fine given your height.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Stock WR height for city driving?   Stock WR height for city driving? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 12:31 pm

My X was pretty tall for me at 5' 5". Did the factory lowering trick on the rear shock, Yamalink & got a lowered seat. I can get the balls of both feet to the ground now. Gives a bit more reassurance when riding in city traffic.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Stock WR height for city driving?   Stock WR height for city driving? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 1:04 pm

As others said, it takes some time getting used to it but after a while it becomes second nature. LOVE the fact of being the tallest guy on the road. Can see over cars no problem. Makes riding a lot more comfortable when you can see 100 m ahead instead of just 10.

I'm a bit shorter than you and I have no issues. Give it some more time. At traffic lights and such, I usually just one foot it. Allows you to put the whole foot down, and bike really doesn't weigh anything if you keep it upright.
Back to top Go down
glorp

PostSubject: Re: Stock WR height for city driving?   Stock WR height for city driving? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 3:37 pm

5'8" with 30" inseam. Stock lowering, no link, and a seat concepts seat. (third one i have installed on bikes, great price and product) No problems with riding stop and go.
Back to top Go down
rahiminia

PostSubject: Re: Stock WR height for city driving?   Stock WR height for city driving? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 3:40 pm

5"5 with just a shaved seat, i have only put about 500kms on my bike since i bought it (2nd hand) and have had no problems with height at all after i shaved the seat.
Back to top Go down
thelandman

PostSubject: Re: Stock WR height for city driving?   Stock WR height for city driving? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 7:00 pm

~5.11 here and just had a Seat Concepts mod done on the stock pan. Lowers the seat 3/4" and feet are pretty much flat on the pavement now when at a light. More comfy as well. Recommend this mod. Spitfire windshield is also a winner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock WR height for city driving?   Stock WR height for city driving? Empty

Back to top Go down

Stock WR height for city driving?
Page 1 of 1