Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Best Source for 13/43 setup?

Go down 
+2
mordicai
jglow
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jglow

Best Source for 13/43 setup? Empty
PostSubject: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:20 pm

I am digging through all of the threads in this section, but I haven't found anything really on sourcing new sprockets and chain for the stock 13/43 setup. I would like to just get the steel sprockets from Rockymountainatv.com, but they do not offer a 43 tooth for the rear. Am I missing something? I thought I read somewhere that you can buy a sprocket for a yzf or something... dunno Recommendations please?

Jordan
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:25 pm

1. JT Sprockets
2. Sprocket Center
3 Driven Sprockets
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:45 pm

rocky mountain atv

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
jglow

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:58 pm

motokid wrote:
rocky mountain atv

I would prefer to buy from Rocky Mountain ATV, but when I do the search by model option, the steel rear sprocket is not available in 43 tooth. Can I find one in another model that would fit (in a 43 tooth)?

Jordan
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 3:32 pm

jglow wrote:
motokid wrote:
rocky mountain atv

I would prefer to buy from Rocky Mountain ATV, but when I do the search by model option, the steel rear sprocket is not available in 43 tooth. Can I find one in another model that would fit (in a 43 tooth)?

Jordan

May I ask:

Why on Earth are you looking at 13/43 ????

That's stock gearing for an R right?

If you are going to buy new gearing, why not change it a bit to get some better uummmmmmmphh ???????

Can you find a 13/45 combo in steel?

If you insist on staying with 13/43 - and you'd like to order through rocky - I'd suggest contacting them directly and asking for what you want.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 3:38 pm

JT has both those sprockets in steel. thumb

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 4:12 pm

motokid wrote:
jglow wrote:
motokid wrote:
rocky mountain atv

Jordan

May I ask:

Why on Earth are you looking at 13/43 ????

That's stock gearing for an R right?

If you are going to buy new gearing, why not change it a bit to get some better uummmmmmmphh ???????

Can you find a 13/45 combo in steel?

If you insist on staying with 13/43 - and you'd like to order through rocky - I'd suggest contacting them directly and asking for what you want.

Well, I don't know.... Actually after reading about everybody trying/changing out their sprocket combos, I found myself wondering the same thing. I guess I didn't want to sacrifice my cruising speed, but maybe it wouldn't be that noticeable with adding a few teeth in the back. I am getting ready for the TAT here in a few weeks, and just wanted to start out with a fresh chain and sprockets (not to mention that squeaky rubber on the stock sprocket is embarrassing). Suggestions on sprocket combo for the trip if it were you? Overall I am happy with the way the bike rides now, with the exception of the on/off jerkyness in 1st.

Jordan
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 4:18 pm

You might be better off asking people over at ADVrider.com if you're doing the entire TAT.

That's some serious distance right?

How much is asphalt and how much isn't?

If you're doing 1000 miles of concrete highway you're probably better off with the 13/43 ......

I'm not exactly sure what the TAT encompasses, but surely the guys at advrider.com can hook you right up with knowledge immediately.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 5:55 am

Jordan,

I've found that gearing down doesn't hurt cruising speed nearly as much as you'd think. The bike is geared so high stock it'll hardly pull cruising speed up the slightest incline. I'm running 13/45 with stock profile tires and still get 68 mpg on secondary roads, fast interstate will drop mileage into the 50's. I've just bought a 14/49 set-up but haven't swapped over yet. If I were planning to run tall tires like D606's I'd drop the gearing a bit more.

Sarah

p.s. A while back Geauga Power Sports posted on chains and sprockets and listed about any sprocket combo you could imagine. You might also check Dennis Kirk. I'm finding my best prices right now at oemcycle.com.

Last edited by greer on Wed May 25, 2011 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : correct sprocket combo)
Back to top Go down
jglow

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 7:16 am

Thanks Sarah, I will check out those sources. The more I read, the more I am curious about matching a similar stock ratio, but using a 14t front sprocket to maybe help keep the chain away from cutting into the swing arm. I would like to know how your 14/49 combo works out for you.

Jordan
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 10:49 am

The 12T WILL NOT make the chain cut into your swingarm. NOT. I ran the 12 for over 8k and not once did it chew even close to my swingarm. The only reason that shit happens is a LOOSE CHAIN. I could do over highway speeds with that 12/43 combo and it was a nice setup. The 13/45 is also a nice setup, which is almost identical to the 12/43. Don't be scared off by the 12T hype that your swingarm is gonna get destroyed. budah Quite a few riders have used that combo and the only thing that saw any form of wear was the chain guide...which, btw, I am STILL running the stock one. thumb

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 10:54 am

+1 on the 13x45. Best mod I ever did to my x. Fabulous on Interstate.
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:55 am

for what it's worth....

I currently have a 13 x 47 setup and I love it on the dirt but hate it on the highway. I have to do an indicated(stock speedo) 79mph to actually be going 65mph. Since I live in valley of California and everyone here has a lead foot, I find my self getting passed by just about everyone, except big rigs. I'm probably going to try putting on a 14 in the front. Dammit I want my top speed and gas milage back.... even though I still get like 55mpg
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 12:21 pm

aaronhall555 wrote:
for what it's worth....

I currently have a 13 x 47 setup and I love it on the dirt but hate it on the highway. I have to do an indicated(stock speedo) 79mph to actually be going 65mph. Since I live in valley of California and everyone here has a lead foot, I find my self getting passed by just about everyone, except big rigs. I'm probably going to try putting on a 14 in the front. Dammit I want my top speed and gas milage back.... even though I still get like 55mpg

Only gearing can help your top speed - but 12 o'clock labs can fix your speedometer error. thumb

My 13/48 error was roughly 22% so yeah....it's worth the fix.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Source for 13/43 setup?   Best Source for 13/43 setup? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Source for 13/43 setup?
Page 1 of 1