Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy

Go down 
+13
Tammy
slolane
texasreb
Chrispy1200
SheWolf
f3joel
X-Racer
sswrx
WRoldman
King Wolf
matttys
greer
BPG
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BPG

BPG

SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy Empty
PostSubject: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 9:10 pm

Did some mods to the seat to make it lower and a little better for long road rides. Been meaning to do this for a while, so w/ this weekend's snow I finally had enough down time to tackle it. Shouldn't have waited, it went surprisingly quickly.

First step, removing the staples to take off the seat cover. I started out trying needle-nose Vise grips and a small flat screwdriver, ended up just carefully prying them all out w/ the screwdriver.

You can see I left a few factory staples in the front, this was to ensure proper alignment when I replaced the seat cover. Even with those few remaining staples, I could peel the cover completely off the top of the seat to have full access for the next steps.
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 001

Marked out a rough pattern for the desired profile:
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 002

Sawzall time. Some use electric bread knives for this step. Being below freezing helped, made the foam more likely to be cut rather than deflect the blade. If it were summer, I'd suggest putting the seat in the freezer...
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 004

The sawzall/breadknife is great for reaching a rough profile, but it is just that - rough. Next step is a grinder to smooth things out a bit (kinda like working wood or doing auto body work - start with the right tool for roughing in and get successively finer). Again, I'm pretty sure that the cold temps made this easier.
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 005

Dry-fitting, cut & grind some more (repeatedly). Baby steps man, baby steps.
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 007

Little more cutting, little more grinding:
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 009

Grinding got stuff "close", but not perfect. One last step - the belt sander. FWIW I tried a random orbit sander at various grit sandpaper as well, but it wasn't nearly as quick and precise as the belt sander (@ 80 grit, I believe).
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 011

Getting closer:
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 012

SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 013

One final trial fit felt great - time to staple the cover back on. A standard construction-style staple gun couldn't penetrate the thick plastic of the seat pan, so I snagged a pneumatic brad nailer/stapler from HF for $20. I do a lot of construction/trim work and always wanted an air stapler - besides stapling, this thing will also shoot the exact same 18-gauge brads (up to 2" long - impressive) as my Stanley-Bostich brad nailer.
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 014

Like all the previous steps, it was important to take time and care when re-covering the seat. Nothing too troubling about it if you carefully stretch it into place and take small bites as you move up the sides, but I can see how seat covers get wrinkled if one gets into a hurry.
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 016

Finished product:
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 017

As we know, the WRR is a tall bike for a dual sport. And a VERY tall bike for a 250 dual sport. I did this mod to be able to flat-foot the bike without actually lowering the bike itself (and thereby losing ground clearance). This will be a huge advantage when riding rocky singletrack and similar nasty terrain.

Also, the stock seat is kind of convex (bumped out) right where yer bum goes. I actually dished this area in a bit - can't tell from the pics but you can definitely feel it on the bike. This allows better, fuller, and wider support for the parts of YOU that actually touch the seat - a good thing for long days.
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 022

"But how can it be more comfortable - you took away foam??"
I learned this from an old-timer who made horse-saddles from scratch - it's not the MATERIAL, or especially the AMOUNT of material that makes a saddle comfy - it's the way it fits the customer's individual rear end (and the horse, as it were). This guy could make an all-day comfortable seat out of oak & leather - so by following those principles it was a cinch with foam (and power tools!) Frankly, OEM seat foam is so soft and spongy that a firmer, well-shaped cut is always worlds better anyway.
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 018

(the discoloration in the rear is just dirt from where my cargo net usually drapes)
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 021
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 10:16 pm

Man, that looks better than factory.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 10:59 pm

Cool - how much height do you think you took off the seat?
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:28 pm

guessing about an inch to 1.5" in height, plus I shaved the front "shoulders" out quite a bit and, as mentioned, made the main seating area a bit concave.

Whatever I took off made a HUGE difference. Before I was on the balls of my feet (not tippy-toed, but still not the most secure footing). Now I can flat-foot both feet while stopped, and the decreased distance gave me a lot more leverage. SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 61865
Back to top Go down
King Wolf

King Wolf

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 4:33 am

Nice job...looks like it was done by a pro
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 am

I bet this IS alot more comfy. The stock seat is shapes like a loaf of bread.
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Hmm, I've got the step seat from Wheeling and I'm still not thinking it is low enough (my gal is a shorty at 5'1"). The Wheeling seat is still in the wrapping so I think I may be going to chop the seat myself to see if I can get her lower to the ground.

Any tips on not shaving too deep? do you feel any of the plastic pan under the thin layer of foam?

Are you in PA or OH? I spy a red/white/blue plate in one picture.
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Once the cover is off, you can easily tell how deep the foam is. If, while cutting, you're unsure, something slender and pointed like a straight dental pick (or just a needle/pin!) would give a good indication of remaining depth.

If you shape it anywhere remotely close to her bum, there won't be any pressure points at all - the idea is to get a slightly dished-out seating area that supports the rider fully. Ergo, getting kind of close to the pan is actually good because it helps that soft, spongy foam actually have some support.

I can't stress enough - you could sit DIRECTLY on the pan and be comfy - so long as it fits your arse! SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 93746 Shaping is the goal, and again - removing the too-soft foam provides necessary firmness. SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 61865
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 12:22 am

Looks awsome! I'll bet much cheaper than a Corbin seat!
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 10:49 pm

Nice job... I did the same thing to the girl's CRFx seat. ...but didn't think to use a belt sander. I think I'll take the cover of again and soften the ridges out of the "saddle" section. I was able to use a standard Stanley hand stapler to get the cover back on though.

I actually spent the money on a Corbin seat for my KTM SMC ( which actually has a 4x6 for a seat). It was the best thing I did to it.

There is one potential suggestion though. ...and that suggestion comes my back sides satisfaction with the Corbin profile; I'd start with not taking so much of the dome out of the "Saddle" section. You can go down progressively, but don't flatten it out so much initially as a height reducer. The reason is that once your legs are allowed to form down in a more natural posture the height is already somewhat compensated.

The Corbin does "dish" somewhat in the natural riding position. I would suspect that is to reduce pressure on the tailbone (your cheeks area squishes down on the rim area of the seat).

I don't think I can get the seat in the freezer, and there's no snow around here, but I think I'll go to school on your technique and get the girl out there to instruct me while I do it. SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 810411

Either way I'm bound to exit the garage bleeding from one thing or another.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 6:06 am

Robert,

Bear in mind the Stanley won't work on this seat pan. It's got a funky double ridge and the nose of the stapler won't fit down in it.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Bummer... Well, at least you caught me before I headed into the garage !

I can see the girl with her dremmel in hand now. SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 851577
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 4:11 pm

SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy Step10SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy Step110

Was bored and took a little out of mine today.
I used a Stanley power stapler.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Wow that looks cool! I like the stepped design you put into it. A passenger would still have the normal seating while you have the lowered section plus there's less grinding to do. What did you use for the cover? It doesn't look like the factory cover.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Did you use glue to keep the hollowed section from puffing up?
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 6:21 pm

It is the zing cover that wheelingcyclesupply sells ( i pulled the stitching out of the logo and removed it )
I did not use any glue, just pulled tight and stapled.

I tacked the front down, stretched the back and tacked it down.
Then worked my way around.
I had to removed some staples here and there to pull tighter in some areas before it fit good enough for me.

I used an electric carving knife and sand paper to smooth it down.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 10:38 pm

There seems to be a correlation to nice seat jobs and snow. SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 11:15 am

Trick of the trade for all you folks who want to make sure you don't get a pucker. Use a hair dryer (or a heat gun if you possess one) carefully on the material so it is warm and pliable, then stretch and staple. This way if will have a uniform fit over any curvature, and when it cools it will suck itself to the form. SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 61865

Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Your idea was so good, I decided I'd give it a go too. I didn't have the stuff you did (belt sander, sawzall or electric knife) so I did it all with an angle grinder. SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 810411
SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy IMG_1259

SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy IMG_1260

SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy IMG_1262

Now I have to take a trip to the shop and tack it with the staple gun. Didn't turn out bad with the angle grinder! SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 61865 I'll get pics once I have it tacked and on the bike. I took a bit more off, about 2 inches. Feels good on the bum. SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 204616

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 3:37 pm

What's the black plastic sheet? Part of the original cover?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Nope, that's my seat heater. SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 61865

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 6:35 pm

That's a neat idea! Now that you explained what it was, I recall seeing that same material used as heating elements for cars with leather seats. I've replaced several of those on cars & minivans.
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 7:26 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Nope, that's my seat heater. SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 61865

Haha, that's about 90% of the reason I bought this bike. . . I sure love my accessories!

I just dropped my gal's seat and it is a good bit lower than the Wheeling stepped seat. Now I just have to figure out which one she likes better and put it on.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 pm

I can touch with both feet now, where before I could touch with just one, leaned over a bit. So now when I normally put my foot down I've got more than just my toes connecting. SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 61865 That heater works like a charm too. Sometimes too good. SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy 93746

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 9:09 pm

f3joel wrote:
It is the zing cover that wheelingcyclesupply sells ( i pulled the stitching out of the logo and removed it )

How does it look where the logo was ? Can you notice the holes from the stitching ? I'm looking for a plain black cover without graphics but I can't find one............. SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy   SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy Empty

Back to top Go down

SEAT Mods - lower & more comfy
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next