Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Gel seat coming to market soon, perhaps?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Gel seat coming to market soon, perhaps? Empty
PostSubject: Gel seat coming to market soon, perhaps?   Gel seat coming to market soon, perhaps? EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 5:09 pm

When I was getting my Seat Concepts seat installed locally ($10 for a professional upholsterer with the spray glue, staple guns, etc and experience - such a bargain), he mentioned that the ultimate ass-comfort is to have the seating area routed out and a gel insert installed. Says he has done that a few times for some of the iron butt guys. Wasn't trying to sell me on it; in fact, he said he was impressed with the Seat Concept product after some of the aftermarket stuff that has gone through his hands over the years. Just mentioned it in passing - along with the fact the downside is that it is pretty pricey, about $100 for the gel insert if I remember correctly.

But really, what is a happy ass worth? I know dry feet are worth a lot, to the point I never flinch when I need to buy a new pair of gor-tex socks.

Anyways, I am generally happy with the Seat Concepts, although I don't know if I'm finding the low seat noticeably lower, and I sometimes wonder if I actually got "firm" foam instead of "standard" foam - my ass is still unhappy, but now it takes four or five hours instead of two hours, and the discomfort is much less. So I consider the Seat Concepts a successful group buy for myself as well as the others who have commented favourably.

Saw this over on TT today though - reminded me of the gel seat concept the upholsterer was talking about while installing my Seat Concepts

http://www.wr-products.com/dirt/categories/listProducts.php?category=77

Doesn't look like it is available for the WRR/X yet, but presumably just a matter of time? It will make an interesting alternative for those looking over the aftermarket seat offerings.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Gel seat coming to market soon, perhaps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gel seat coming to market soon, perhaps?   Gel seat coming to market soon, perhaps? EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 9:36 pm

I modded my stock seat with a high quality gel insert, and was hesitant to get the SC seat, simply because it was fairly comfy. Once i got seat time on the SC, it became apparent that the SC was more butt-friendly. The upholsterer I got my gel pad thru also has done a lot of these gel conversion kits on bikes and says that they go over well. But, to be honest, even with the gelled-up modded seat, the SC feels much nicer on the backside and for a much longer saddle duration. I guess if i ever wear out the SC seat, i still have this other one as a spare. Very happy

Gel seat coming to market soon, perhaps?
Page 1 of 1