Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rev Limiter Noise

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ZED

ZED

Rev Limiter Noise Empty
PostSubject: Rev Limiter Noise   Rev Limiter Noise EmptyTue May 12, 2009 9:45 pm

It is my belief that Yamaha gave us throttle stops and rev limiters for a reason. With that in mind, I partake of both on every single ride on the little bugger.

I had noticed before that the rev limiter made a really strange noise, kind of like a cross between a sick bird and a dying VW horn. Last night on the motard track I realized there is actually a bit of an RPM difference between the strange noise and actually bouncing off the rev limiter. It actually kind of works well as an audible shift indicator.

Anyone else have this noise?
Back to top Go down
radianguy

radianguy

Rev Limiter Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev Limiter Noise   Rev Limiter Noise EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:10 pm

I hit my rev limiter the other night for the first time but it was just the normal buh buh buh rev limiter sound.
Back to top Go down
Chadx

Rev Limiter Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev Limiter Noise   Rev Limiter Noise EmptyWed May 13, 2009 2:57 pm

radianguy wrote:
I hit my rev limiter the other night...but it was just the normal buh buh buh rev limiter sound.

Same here with the buh buh buh. On mine, no other sounds accompany hitting the limiter.
Back to top Go down
CDNSXV

CDNSXV

Rev Limiter Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev Limiter Noise   Rev Limiter Noise EmptyMon May 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Apparently I am not trying hard enough as I haven't partaken of the rev limiter experience yet.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Rev Limiter Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev Limiter Noise   Rev Limiter Noise EmptyMon May 18, 2009 1:41 pm

Usually by the time you are on the limiter the engine is making less power then 1000 rpm earlier
There's not much point in hitting it, I shift when I feel the power nosing over
On a track there is probably some merit to using the rev range rather than shifting twice however
I cant think of any reason how the rev limiter could make noise, what is probably happening is the intake and exhaust note go off as the engine is not tuned to make power in that RPM range
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Rev Limiter Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev Limiter Noise   Rev Limiter Noise EmptyMon May 18, 2009 9:06 pm

CDNSXV wrote:
Apparently I am not trying hard enough as I haven't partaken of the rev limiter experience yet.
See, you need to bring the little bugger to the track instead of that big brute! (you maybe under sprung and underdamped in the rear though since I'm about maxed out on the rear damping)

0007onWR wrote:
Usually by the time you are on the limiter the engine is making less power then 1000 rpm earlier
There's not much point in hitting it, I shift when I feel the power nosing over
On a track there is probably some merit to using the rev range rather than shifting twice however
I cant think of any reason how the rev limiter could make noise, what is probably happening is the intake and exhaust note go off as the engine is not tuned to make power in that RPM range

On a bigger bike you can actually feel the power curve drop off, but with little better and it is splitting hairs. On the big bikes I sometimes see the rev limiter on the track (depending upon which engine). On the little bike I frequently see it on acceleration lanes on the road and all over the track. Maybe once I've got a few thousand more on the little thing I will have the discerning feel, but until then I'll keep ringing it's neck. Also worth adding I suppose is that on the track my MX boots keep getting caught between the shifter and the the pavement which substantially delays the upshift.

I never thought of intake/exhaust note though for the sound. I immediately thought it sounded like an electronic oscillation, kind of like an amplified sound of the natural rev limiter.

Interesting feedback so far. 3/5 people hit there rev limiter. 1/5 have the 'shift indicator' sound.
Back to top Go down
CDNSXV

CDNSXV

Rev Limiter Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev Limiter Noise   Rev Limiter Noise EmptyMon May 18, 2009 9:27 pm

Quote :
See, you need to bring the little bugger to the track instead of that big brute!

But the big brute was just soooo much fun. There is nothing like lofting 3rd gear wheelies the length of the back straight before putting it down in time to slide it into the next turn. wings
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rev Limiter Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev Limiter Noise   Rev Limiter Noise Empty

Back to top Go down

Rev Limiter Noise
Page 1 of 1