Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rev limiter?

Go down 
+3
inspector
motokid
Jus42
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jus42

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:30 am

Just picked up my 08' WR. Been racing MX since I was a kid-first dual sport. One of the first things I noticed when I rode was what seemed to be a rev limiter when I crack on the throttle? When I accelerate real hard it seems to pop and cough and not accelerate any harder til' I back off a bit?? That seem right or is there a quick fix??
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 9:53 am

What??
Can you offer more details?

Yes, there's a rev limiter. It keeps you from grenading your engine.

First gear is real short....then shift. Second is kinda short too, relative to other street bikes,.....then shift again.

Not sure what you are asking.

Quick fix for what?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 9:58 am

Just doing it's job.
Back to top Go down

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 10:05 am

A rev limiter is just that, it keeps the engine from over revving. If it is sputtering and such before it seems like you are at max RPM, then it may be something else. Do you have a pipe and fuel programmer? What mods are on the bike? Is the EXUP installed and working correctly?

I am with you, I was raised on Honda Cr's and the like and there is no rev limiters on those, you just run out of power at the top of the RPM range. They are also a 2-smoke so the top RPM's are not as critical as there is just the one moving part... The WR's are based on the R1 engine and can rev to around 11k I believe, and make the most power around 10k.

Most all street bikes have a limiter, which usually shuts down one or two cylinders to a point then will shut down up to 3 or 4 cylinders if the rpms go higher. Definately a strange sound if you have never heard it before...
Back to top Go down
Jus42

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:33 pm

Completely stock. I'm familiar with rev limiters, just never ridden a bike with one. Like I said I'm a long time MX'er, used to winding out 2 strokes! I thought maybe it had something to do with the AIS?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 10:03 pm

Sounds like you might want to eliminate the thing known as the airbox flapper and get yourself a fuel injection programmer.
The bike runs mucho better like that.
Back to top Go down
Jus42

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 11:33 pm

ok cool. seems like most of you agree that you can just glue the flapper down. I'm not super mechanical, so if it's cool to glue it down without removing the solenoid and all that other stuff with no repercussions then that's what i'll do- thanks
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 12:00 am

Remove the solenoid (and the rest of that crap associated with it), and then glue the flapper down.
It's very easy. :)
Back to top Go down
Chadx

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 3:42 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Sounds like you might want to eliminate the thing known as the airbox flapper and get yourself a fuel injection programmer. The bike runs mucho better like that.

I guess depends on your definition of "better". However, hitting a rev limiter is hitting a rev limiter and the only cure is to back off the throttle and/or up shift. And thee is no reason to eliminate the rev limiter on these bikes as the only result would be engine damage. There is no additional power to be found above and beyond that point anyway.

Jus42, You just need to retrain your ear for this bike. It would take some getting used to coming from a 4 stroke MX bike. Since you are coming from a 2-stroke, even more so. Get used to the feel and get used to when to shift prior to hitting it and you'll be set. While the air flapper mod, and others, can eliminate weight and give you a little more power when combined with a programmer, exhaust, etc. they are in now way related to the rev limiter and how the bike runs when it hits the limiter.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 4:24 pm

Be careful
Never modify to fix a problem unless you are sure of the cause and know that the after market part will replace a bad one
The bike should run like a clock, if there is a bad component then a fuel controller wont do anything but confuse the issue
Perhaps you should have your dealer Duplicate the problem, it sounds like you need a second opinion
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 9:54 am

Mine makes a strange whining or bleeting or buzzing sound just before hitting the rev limiter. I use that as an audible shift indicator. Maybe yours has this same 'feature'. I thought mine was the only one.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 9:51 pm

Reading the original post says he is using full throttle and when he lets off a bit it pulls harder so he cant be on the limiter
Back to top Go down
Jus42

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 8:36 pm

I may have been too quick to judge. My first ride, other than around the block was a 100 mile street trek attempting to keep up with a Honda VTX1800R. Just didn't have the displacement to nearly keep up and pushed the RPM's too high for too long in the attempt. LIke I said-long time MXer, just an adjusment in throttle feel and didn't know there was a limiter on the bike (more of a surprise than anything). Did the flapper mod, bike really appreciates it! Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rev limiter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev limiter?   Rev limiter? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rev limiter?
Page 1 of 1