Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Damper settings?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mrgeoff

Damper settings? Empty
PostSubject: Damper settings?   Damper settings? EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Are the stock damper settings the same between an x and an r? I feel my x is a little harsh, I would be surprised if the r was this harsh as stock.
What settings have people found best on bumpy country roads? I do not use off road at all, but I don't see this as an excuse for ultra hard damping.
Ps, at which end do I make softer first to stand the bike up on throttle coming out of a corner? I forget!

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Damper settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damper settings?   Damper settings? EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 9:05 pm

First, have you bled any air pressure (which naturally builds-up over time) out of the fork via the little slotted screws at the top?
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

Damper settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damper settings?   Damper settings? EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 2:50 pm

I have now. No noticeable difference.
I do find the wr to be harder damped than my last bike even when my last bike was stock, which was far too hard for the trails, I had to change the oil for a lighter grade in that to alter the damper!

People must have fiddled on these to be able to give me an idea of what works? Seems too easy with the little screws!!!

Please?
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

Damper settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damper settings?   Damper settings? EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 3:46 pm

When bleeding the forks, make sure your front tire is off the ground.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Damper settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damper settings?   Damper settings? EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:03 pm

For the fork, the compression clicker (adjuster at the bottom under a rubber plug) and the rebound clicker (adjuster at the top in the center) are both set at 10 clicks out from full closed.

You can dial the rebound clicker out 24 clicks, or anywhere in between.
The compression clicker can be dialed out 20 clicks, or anywhere in between.
Just keep both fork legs adjusted the same.

I would also double-check to make sure my bottom right-hand fork leg axle clamp wasn't tightened down with the bottom of the fork leg too far inward or outward.
This would cause binding, giving a harsh ride.

I believe that folks looking to relieve what feels like too much compression damping would just turn the compression clicker out until it suited them.

The rear shock compression clicker comes set at 7 clicks out, and can go all the way to 12 clicks out from fully closed.
The rear shock rebound clicker comes set at 13 clicks out, and can go all the way to 25 clicks out.
Same here - dial out the compression clicker and experiment.

Would be a good idea to see if your weight in the seat compresses the rear suspension 3.5 inches as compared to the rear being fully extended.
That's a big deal.

If you want to know my suspension settings on my 2008 WR-250XX:

Fork compression clicker: 12 clicks out.
Fork rebound clicker: 10 clicks out.
Fork oil: KYB 01
Fork oil level: 115mm
Fork tube height raised 3mm (dropped ride height 3mm).

The rear shock was overhauled and revalved by Go Race Suspension in Virginia, so I doubt the clicker settings and what not would correspond to a stock shock.
I can tell you it works very well, indeed.

When I rode a 2008 WR-250R last year, I actually turned the compression and rebound clickers in a fair bit, especially the rebound, which I set at the maximum of 3 clicks out.
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

Damper settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damper settings?   Damper settings? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 2:46 pm

I will have a play after the weekend, to try and soften things up a little.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Damper settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damper settings?   Damper settings? Empty

Back to top Go down

Damper settings?
Page 1 of 1