Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

8" race light "photoshop"...

Go down 
+7
eastcoastzigzag
shredak
speedtrippy
Fargo_Wolf
Chadx
SheWolf
D1EHARD
11 posters
AuthorMessage
D1EHARD

D1EHARD

8" race light "photoshop"... Empty
PostSubject: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 5:09 pm

I love the Trailtech and Baja Designs 8" race lights and got to wondering what one would look like on my bike. Soooo I photoshopped one on there....and I dig it. I think after adding the new Safari tank, it would look even better. It's a little large, but hey, I like large.(that's what she said).

Whatcha think?

8" race light "photoshop"... BikeLight

p.s. Didn't know if I should put it in the 'mods' section or not, since I technically didn't mod anything.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Damn that thing is huge. I think we found our Rudolph for the night ride, you guys!!! cheers

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 6:41 pm

D1EHARD wrote:
I love the Trailtech and Baja Designs 8" race lights and got to wondering what one would look like on my bike. Soooo I photoshopped one on there....

I like it. It's likely not street legal in the U.S., though. I see by your black frame and fork guards that you are outside the U.S., so that may not apply to you (or you converted an X, which might answer my front tire question at the end of this post).

I dig it the big light. Would be cool with a quick-disconnect so it can go off and on depending on the route of the week.

By the way, what's up with your front tire? Might be the angle, or a photoshop thing, but it looks exceptionally meaty.
Back to top Go down
D1EHARD

D1EHARD

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 7:41 pm

Chadx wrote:
By the way, what's up with your front tire? Might be the angle, or a photoshop thing, but it looks exceptionally meaty.

I have an X. I put 17" Pirelli MT21's on, 130-90-17 on the rear and a 120-90-17 "rear" tire on the front. So far it's been great thumb . It's definitely different. I like the way you put it: "exceptionally meaty" afro

Also my photoshop of the light is not to scale either. I grabbed a larger pic of the light off the web and had to shrink it and change viewing angles. So the light may actually be physically smaller on the bike in the real world.

About it being street legal, I don't think it is "legal" persay, but I know several guys that have one on their dual sports. As long as the angle is down when you mount it, it's not so bad in traffic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 9:18 pm

I think it looks great thumb , but I've also been accused of having a 8" race light fetish wink

Here's a pic of my XR650R with my Trailtech 8" race light. Oh yeah, I'm in the US and ride it on the street, no problems here. Just aim it low enough that it's not blinding oncoming traffic and you will be fine. Mine is running a 100W bulb.

8" race light "photoshop"... Img0336to6

and a vid of the light in action.

Hodakaguy

Last edited by Hodakaguy on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 9:31 pm

Now there's a light on steroids! thumb 100 watts? That's what they use in aircraft for landing lights.

Fargo_Wolf

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 9:34 pm

Damn, thos bikes look neat with that big light on there. Anyone know what one of the lights weigh? I have a feeling that someone will actually mount one on their bike. wink lurk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 11:00 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Now there's a light on steroids! thumb 100 watts? That's what they use in aircraft for landing lights.

Yeah it's bright! With it aimed low though I have no problems with it on the street, off road just reach up, aim it up and you can SEE!!! I have a seperate 100W AC leg running to just the light assy.

The unit isn't very heavy at all, Not sure what it weights exactly but its lighter than you think.

I love the look of 8" race lights...let's see one on a WRR deal

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Chadx

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 12:20 am

Mmmmmaaaaaahhh, bright light.
Back to top Go down
speedtrippy

speedtrippy

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 12:32 am

Do you have a lens protector on there?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 5:48 am

speedtrippy wrote:
Do you have a lens protector on there?

I have some 3M headlight guard sticker material on there. It's about 1/8" thick and does a pretty good job of protecting the lens. I think my next project will be to weld 3 tabs onto the light frame and add a piece of lexan in front of the lens that bolts onto the light, I'll just re-powdercoat the frame when I'm done.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
shredak

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 1:32 pm

Hodakaguy is your avtar really a picture of you?
Back to top Go down
eastcoastzigzag

eastcoastzigzag

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 3:41 pm

is that hid?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 10:52 am

shredak wrote:
Hodakaguy is your avtar really a picture of you?

Nope...Not even close. Thought it makes a good avatar though Very happy

My light is Halogen, not the HID. They are available in HID though. I have a 100W AC circuit powering my light, you would have to have a DC circuit for a HID unit.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
eastcoastzigzag

eastcoastzigzag

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 11:01 am

where do i even start learning how to make this mod to my bike?

i understand the stator needs rewinding but that is about it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 11:12 am

eastcoastzigzag wrote:

The stator should be fine on a WR250R, you already have 350W of power so there is no problem there. My bike (XR650R) came with a 55W stator, add the dual sport setup and I didn't have any power left for anything. I installed a 200W stator to give me some extra power back.

All you would need to do is mount up the light assy and hook it into your stock wiring. A legal 55W bulb installed in the race light would be safe for your wiring and no other mods would have to be done. Pretty much a plug and play deal.

Remember though that the Race Light uses a H1 style bulb that is only single element so you won't have a high/low beam set up any longer. This really hasn't been a big deal for me, I just reach up while cruising down the road and adjust the angle of the light to wherever I want. Plus when you flip the switch to high beam your headlight will now go off, you can use this as a "Off" switch if you want to turn the light off while riding off road.

I love the looks of the 8" lights, combine that light with the new safari tank coming out for the WRR and you'll have one SWEEEEET combination.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
eastcoastzigzag

eastcoastzigzag

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 11:25 am

Hodakaguy wrote:
eastcoastzigzag wrote:

The stator should be fine on a WR250R, you already have 350W of power so there is no problem there. My bike (XR650R) came with a 55W stator, add the dual sport setup and I didn't have any power left for anything. I installed a 200W stator to give me some extra power back.

All you would need to do is mount up the light assy and hook it into your stock wiring. A legal 55W bulb installed in the race light would be safe for your wiring and no other mods would have to be done. Pretty much a plug and play deal.

Remember though that the Race Light uses a H1 style bulb that is only single element so you won't have a high/low beam set up any longer. This really hasn't been a big deal for me, I just reach up while cruising down the road and adjust the angle of the light to wherever I want. Plus when you flip the switch to high beam your headlight will now go off, you can use this as a "Off" switch if you want to turn the light off while riding off road.

I love the looks of the 8" lights, combine that light with the new safari tank coming out for the WRR and you'll have one SWEEEEET combination.

Hodakaguy

------wow awesome response, thanks! to be honest i hate the high beam, i never use it. the light pattern of the low beam i feel is better. i WILL be making this mod this summer. freaky
Back to top Go down
D1EHARD

D1EHARD

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 5:54 pm

eastcoastzigzag wrote:
i WILL be making this mod this summer. freaky

You and me both! thumb
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 11:05 pm

I was just asking about this type of light in TT - so there's no way to run an H4 halogen bulb (I'm assuming that's what the R² has??) in a big 8" race light shell?

Ultimately I'd love to do just that, and then upgrade by using a decently-priced HID kit to REALLY light up the night! thumb
Back to top Go down
D1EHARD

D1EHARD

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 9:14 pm

OK, I was about to pull the trigger on one of these race lights, probably the Baja Designs one, until I went out and took a gander behind my stock assembly and I really don't think there will be room because of the speedo.

Hoda, I know that you don't own an WRR/X but you seem to be around one quite a bit. Do you think one of the 8" lights would fit without modding? I'd really like to keep my speedo in place.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 1:34 am

D1EHARD wrote:
Do you think one of the 8" lights would fit without modding? I'd really like to keep my speedo in place.

Maybe check out this thread for some ideas...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7059201#post7059201
Back to top Go down
D1EHARD

D1EHARD

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 11:57 am

Thanks for the linkage mwakey thumb .

Just by looking at the bare forks and speedo, either one of the 8" lights will be an extremely tight fit, if they fit at all. I may hold off a bit more before I drop over 2 bills for one of these lights. I need to get exact measurements.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 12:13 pm

back from the dead, noticed this H4 conversion for the TT headlight on ADVRider

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532075

more fuel to the farkle fire, I can't help but thinking the TT light with the H4 conversion plus a pair of SCMR16's would be more than enough.
Back to top Go down
vwsandman

vwsandman

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 7:38 pm

Hodakaguy wrote:

My light is Halogen, not the HID. They are available in HID though. I have a 100W AC circuit powering my light, you would have to have a DC circuit for a HID unit.

Hodakaguy

So where exactly are you getting a 100W AC circuit from on your motorcycle, you rig up some sort of inverter somewhere? Unless you are coming off the alternator directly before the rectifier, you are running DC to the light....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8" race light "photoshop"...   8" race light "photoshop"... Empty

Back to top Go down

8" race light "photoshop"...
Page 1 of 1