Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveO

SteveO

new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise  Empty
PostSubject: new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise    new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Ok.....

So, for about 500 miles, I had a 12t counter sprocket, stock rear sprocket and stock chain. This worked quite well for me on the trails, but I wanted to get a little more top end on the highway. So I ordered up a "Primary Drive 520 ORH X-Ring chain x 112", and a "Primary Drive 48 tooth rear rear sprocket". I reinstalled the factory 13 tooth counter sprocket, new chain and new rear sprocket. I read through the thread on how to set the proper chain slack, and performed this correctly, checking several times.

During several test rides down the street I noticed the following:

ONLY under acceleration does the chain give off the "zzzzzzzzzzzzz" sound.
Under "deceleration", the chain is quite......

Anybody got any ideas?

baldy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise    new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 8:27 pm

I know my stock 13 made funny noises, didn't do that with the 12. Took off the rubber damper ring and it eliminated it.

SteveO

PostSubject: Re: new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise    new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 9:14 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I know my stock 13 made funny noises, didn't do that with the 12. Took off the rubber damper ring and it eliminated it.

So, there is a rubber damper on the stock sprocket..... both sides?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise    new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:31 pm

No, just on the one side.

SteveO

PostSubject: Re: new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise    new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise  EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 11:06 am

A couple days ago, I decided to take a ride up to Sipapu to check out the bunk-houses. My initial plan was to go through the forest roads, but that plan was quickly squashed due to the Stage 3 fire restrictions: all forests are closed.

So, I folowed the hard-ball instead. The bike did really well with the new 13/48 sprocket combo. I have an IMS 3.1 gallon tank and wanted to see how far I could get before I ran out of gas. I was able to ride 185 miles before the engine noted it was running out of fuel. That puts me at roughly 62mpg, in WOT conditions, slow chugging through traffic and a few dirt roads. Not too bad.

The "zzzzzzz" noise was when I was on my local street with no helmet. After dawning a helmet, I couldn't hear the noise any longer, leading me to believe it has always been there, I just couldn't hear it.

At any rate, I really like this 13/48 gearing combo.
Back to top Go down
WRXZ

WRXZ

PostSubject: Re: new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise    new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise  EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 4:14 am

Mine also buzzes on accel. Everything stock, can even here it with my helmet on if I move my foot off the peg. Chain is well lubed and properly adjusted so I assume its just normal noise from the chain riding across the slider or the rubber peicies on the front sprocket. Guess I'll just keep checking the slider for wear before rides. scratch
Back to top Go down
SteveO

SteveO

PostSubject: Re: new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise    new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise  EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 9:14 am

yeah, gotta agree with ya. I think its just normal noise that one can't normally hear when wearing a helmet and focusing on the trail or road....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise    new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise  Empty

Back to top Go down

new chain makes "zzzzzzzz" noise
Page 1 of 1