Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rough Chain Action/Noise

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Yeti

Rough Chain Action/Noise Empty
PostSubject: Rough Chain Action/Noise   Rough Chain Action/Noise EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 11:18 am

Hi all,

I bought a new 08 WR250R a few months ago. I have been hearing clacking noises while riding. It almost sounds like the engine, but I think I have determined this is coming from the stock chain. I didn't worry about it because most people of the forums say don't worry about the noise, just ride it. However, it is really starting to bug me now.

When I put the bike on a stand and run the gears, the chain bounces a quite a bit (almost like a few over tight links), and makes clacking noises. I have tried variations with the chain tight, loose, and different alignments, it is always there. I have always kept the chain oiled. As most know, the 08 has the rubber on the sprockets.

My question is, is this common, will a new sprocket and chain set remove the issue. Would a bike sitting on a showroom floor for 3 years cause this. I am tempted to take it to the dealer, but, I was planning to upgrade to a new sprocket set 13/47 anyways. If rough chain action is common, maybe I will wait a bit. I guess I am looking for "you need to deal with this now" or "don't sweat it" advice.

Also, can this chain be broken easily, or is a dremel the only way? I had an old breaker (20 years old) which shattered the pin pushing rod when I tried to break it, so I am wondering if this chain is different.

Thoughts?

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Rough Chain Action/Noise   Rough Chain Action/Noise EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 11:59 am

Check your swing arm.....specifically, look around and near the swing arm protector up near the countershaft sprocket.

I used a dremel to cut my stock chain.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Rough Chain Action/Noise   Rough Chain Action/Noise EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:24 pm

My '08 original chain was just fine over it's life. The rubber on the sprockies squeaked when I hadn't lubed the chain for a while; instead of complaining about the noise, I used it as a reminder to do the maintenance I should have already done... I didn't hear any "clacking", but what you consider clacking I might have considered normal. Whatever...

If you're under warranty and are getting clacking noises, I'd reset chain tension to spec (8-13mm, measured 165mm in front of front chain guide bolt, about half the width of the tire pressure sticker, with 30 lbs of upward pressure) and take it back to the dealer. If you're missing something major, maybe the Yammy tech will pick it up. And if you're missing something major and they also don't pick it up, it is documented that you brought it in about strange noises. Either way, you get a second set of eyes looking at the problem.

Or, they may tell you the noise is perfectly normal for the bike.

I'd do that before cutting and starting to buy chains to see if that fixed the noise - because if it doesn't, now you're back to square one with your stock chain cut in half.

If you take the swingarm off to remove the chain, then that gives you the opportunity to give the swingarm pivot and all the rest of the linkage a good greasing. Maybe even run the bike without the chain on and see if you still hear the noise.

But... I went from stock to 14/49 eventually, and like it much better for true 50/50 dual sport use.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Rough Chain Action/Noise   Rough Chain Action/Noise EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Sounds normal to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rough Chain Action/Noise   Rough Chain Action/Noise Empty

Back to top Go down

Rough Chain Action/Noise
Page 1 of 1