Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Instability at highway speeds ! ?

Go down 
+14
mordicai
kbike
0007onWR
WRXR
Jäger
X-Racer
mucker
jason meacham
YZEtc
greer
NorgeWR2X
motokid
IndigoWolf
zone47
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pbnut

pbnut

Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 8:42 am

Fact of the matter is knobbies will not be as stable as full on street tires.

Do I think our bikes are tank slapper prone? Maybe. Full story to come, but I had a full on slapper that resulted in a get-off at about 60mph this weekend.... Road rash ftl.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 9:12 am

pbnut wrote:

Do I think our bikes are tank slapper prone? Maybe. Full story to come, but I had a full on slapper that resulted in a get-off at about 60mph this weekend.... Road rash ftl.

Ouch.....full story please.... cry

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 9:14 am

pbnut,

Glad you're OK! Looking forward to the story.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 9:45 am

Full story and pics after I suffer through a day of work.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Funny not to hear anyone mention how the "true-ness" of the wheels has a major impact on stability as well as wheel balance.

A few mms off-center can make the front wheel "dance" off the straight-line very easily at speed.

Also, it only takes a few grams of weight difference to create a "bouncing" feel.

Add the two above together and who knows what, or when irregular things could happen.

I can feel subtle symptoms of (lack of) balancing affects on the dirt bike on hard graded roads starting about ~50 MPH.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Motorcycles are dangerous...just get used to this bike being unstable on the freeway and hold on, you will be fine!
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm with kbike...set the sag, especially if you've tinkered with the geometry (ie lowering the rear).

Also, 606's are great DOT tires. I've gone through 25K worth of them on my KLR, but they are hell to balance (at least at home) and when they are not balanced, cause my KLR to shimmy-dance all over the place above 75mph. When I first got my WR/X, I was amazed how planted it was in comparison.

OP: Set your sag and balance/true your tires/wheels. You'll be amazed at the difference.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 6:13 pm

pbnut wrote:

yeow!! eeek HOpe you're ok ... cry

You can see the wobble here just a little bit .... you have to look hard for it.... dddog

Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 CgTuz
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 6:39 pm

zone47 wrote:
Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 CgTuz
psssst... your gas cap is on backwards Suspect
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 8:01 pm

poser2 thumb Nice burn Aaron. Oh my.... wink

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 8:32 pm

zone47 wrote:

yeow!! eeek HOpe you're ok ... cry
Full story here.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 12:36 pm

SheWolf wrote:

I reversed it and now the wobble is totally gone! beavis

Thanks man! I knew it was something simple! bert
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 4:37 pm

zone47 wrote:
SheWolf wrote:

I reversed it and now the wobble is totally gone! beavis

Thanks man! I knew it was something simple! bert
hahaha No problem, thought that would fix it poser2

PS, I've noticed running a little lower tire pressure seemed to redues the wobbles too, but the gas cap is definitely the number one culprit.

freaky
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Instability at highway speeds ! ?   Instability at highway speeds ! ? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Instability at highway speeds ! ?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2