Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

A question about lowering...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sr1

A question about lowering... Empty
PostSubject: A question about lowering...   A question about lowering... EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 5:11 am

A lot of folks lower their WR's and say they get better offroad traction in the process. I'm guessing they've shifted the COG to the rear some by not lowering the front in the forks as much, right?

I'm 5'8" on a TALL day, and I lowered mine the amount allowed by the shock, but I think I'll raise it back up. I could use a little more ground clearance and I've banged into the skidplate a few times already.

Are there any other compelling reasons to leave the bike low? I can just get on the bike by swinging a leg over while moving, no need to get on all the way while it's sitting still usually.

Anyone know how to go back to the "factory" height at the rear? I can get the front pretty close by just bringing the forks down to the top of the clamps.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: A question about lowering...   A question about lowering... EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 7:55 am

You mean undo what you did? Good write up and discussion here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621989&highlight=factory+lowering

Sarah
Back to top Go down
sr1

PostSubject: Re: A question about lowering...   A question about lowering... EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 7:57 am

Yup. That's actually the article I used to lower it.

Once my short arse learned how to mount the bike and ride off standing on one side, I decided I could raise it up again. Seemed like about 1/2" of threads?

Anyone have a better measurement?

And yeah, are there any other pros/cons to leaving it lower or raising it up?
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: A question about lowering...   A question about lowering... EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Taller bike is easier on the low back.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: A question about lowering...   A question about lowering... EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 5:52 pm

had it written down someplace,will keep looking.
Back to top Go down
Subaru297

PostSubject: Re: A question about lowering...   A question about lowering... EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 1:09 pm

The increase in traction you are referring to is usually achieved by adding a lowering linkage (Yamalink). Not by using the stock adjustment. The lowering link increases the mechanical advantage of the tire/swingarm on the shock and makes it softer or more plush. This helps to keep the rear tire in contact with the ground and increase traction. Not sure if the lower cg helps too but it probably contributes as well.

I recently shaved my seat down a fair bit and it gave me a much lower seat height but does not affect clearance. You might want to try that. It is pretty easy.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A question about lowering...   A question about lowering... Empty

Back to top Go down

A question about lowering...
Page 1 of 1