Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Lowering seat height question

Go down 
+5
GusinCA
TBird1
bsheet2
X-Racer
bmathew
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathew

Lowering seat height question Empty
PostSubject: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 4:35 pm

I can touch the ball of my foot to the ground on my new wr250r. Does anyone recommend me lowering the bike or should I get used to it?
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 5:07 pm

BMatt: With gear and boots ? With the suspension set-up properly (Both add weight and sag) ?

It's somewhat of a joke to say that you don't ride with your feet down, but in reality, one does need to get to the ground eventually.

The WRR (the wife rides) as well as the KTM I ride are both lowered with little impact to the performance level that we require for dual sport bikes.

When loaded with gear I get uncomfortable (on the KTM) when I get high centered and on loose terrain (foot slippage) only because the CG is high and there's not much room for recovery once she starts to tip.

I can barely touch the ground on the dirt bike, with gear/boots, but it doesn't bother me at all regardless of terrain/conditions.

Everyone is different, IMO it's more a matter of comfort level choice.

Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 5:26 pm

bmathew wrote:
I can touch the ball of my foot to the ground on my new wr250r. Does anyone recommend me lowering the bike or should I get used to it?

Make sure you have teh sag set correctly on the rear shock. Should be 3.5 inches from fully extended shock to how much it compresses with you and all your gear sitting on the bike.

If you can still touch the balls of both feet to the ground, you are doing better than I am. Get used to it. LOL. If you are a true novice though, it does help to start out with the bike lowered.
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 7:56 pm

bsheet2 wrote:
bmathew wrote:

Make sure you have teh sag set correctly on the rear shock. Should be 3.5 inches from fully extended shock to how much it compresses with you and all your gear sitting on the bike.

If you can still touch the balls of both feet to the ground, you are doing better than I am. Get used to it. LOL. If you are a true novice though, it does help to start out with the bike lowered.

I'm as new to dirt bikes as anyone can be. I'm trying to just get used to the new bike as-is. My comfort level is WAY higher now than when I took delivery (around Thanksgiving). Most of the time I can put both feet down on the balls of my feet. Sometimes I just lean to the left on one flat foot. I haven't dropped it yet!

It seemed that my son's girlfriend was pretty enamored of my WR250R. She's about 5'9" or so but skinny. I figured that she could probably get her feet to the floor. I asked her if she wanted to get on the bike and she jumped on. It was hilarious to see the bike not even move when she sat on it- no sag at all! poser2 Naturally, she couldn't put her feet down. And no- I didn't ask what her weight was. I'm a dirt noob, but not a women noob! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bmathew

PostSubject: Re: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks for the info guys. I will try to get used to it. It is a little tricky when I stop on the road that has a slope. Other than that I can manage the bike.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 2:15 pm

I am a more or less expert rider who has 30 years of riding under my belt.
I had my suspension lowered, and have a lower seat from Corbin. Now, at 5-10 with a 32 inch inseam I can put both feet almost flat on the ground, or one foot flat and the other ball of my foot down.
Here's why:
I ride some extremely technical, steep and rocky terrain. There have been trails that other people on taller (and taller geared) bikes would never try, and I simply motor up them like it's nothing. Not only is my center of gravity lower to prevent flipping over, I can use my feet where I need to in order to balance or provide the occasional push.
The overly tall height is perfect if all you do is ride fast, or take big jumps, that kind of thing. Me, I like to be more in touch with the ground...
Back to top Go down
bmathew

PostSubject: Re: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks GusinCA I will take that into consideration. I know that if the ground is extremely uneven I tend to put my foot on the ground. I have heard that lowering links soften the suspension wouldn't that be bad if your jumping?
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 7:29 pm

GusinCA wrote:
I am a more or less expert rider who has 30 years of riding under my belt.
I had my suspension lowered, and have a lower seat from Corbin. Now, at 5-10 with a 32 inch inseam I can put both feet almost flat on the ground, or one foot flat and the other ball of my foot down.
Here's why:
I ride some extremely technical, steep and rocky terrain. There have been trails that other people on taller (and taller geared) bikes would never try, and I simply motor up them like it's nothing. Not only is my center of gravity lower to prevent flipping over, I can use my feet where I need to in order to balance or provide the occasional push.
The overly tall height is perfect if all you do is ride fast, or take big jumps, that kind of thing. Me, I like to be more in touch with the ground...

Very good guidance. It would be different depending upon what type riding you do. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 8:08 pm

"wouldn't that be bad if your jumping"

Correct, if jumping is a big deal to you, then you need all the travel you can get, so don't lower the bike.
Back to top Go down
bmathew

PostSubject: Re: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks for all your help.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 8:45 pm

I'm only 5'6, so I know I'm going to have to come up with something. It is tip toe city the way it is, but I figure there are ways to lower it a couple inches pretty easy.

I'm thinking you can probably raise the forks up in the triple clamps a bit, and there is a longer link you can buy that lowers the rear by about 2" combined with the factory lowering. The lower Corbin seat is a good idea, I'll have to check into that too, thanks!
Back to top Go down
marksg

marksg

PostSubject: 5' 7" and happy with stock seat height.   Lowering seat height question EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Just picked up my WRR today and after concerns at the dealership when I first tried it, I have to say that the seat height is not as concerning as it was. After 4 hours on and off road on my first day with the bike, it's OK.

At 5'7, my last bike was a KDX220 and the difference is minimal. The bike is quite a bit heavier which makes those saving dabs a bit more work but I would think the best advice would be to give yourself some aclimatisation time on the stock settings before thinking about the lowering link options.

This is a sweet little bike - really pleased with mine and can forsee plenty of good times!!
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Bmathew - Suck it up you wimp-ass douche nozzle.

Only kidding.... Very happy

I'm 5-7 and 29" inseam. I've just gotten used to the toe tapping thing, but agree with other poster about technical stuff. I got my R2 lowered enough with just the built in shock adjustment and pulling the forks up as far as they'd go. But I don't do a lot of technical stuff or huge jumps.

I did put a lowering link on my YZ250 racer and was surprised on how well it made it hook up at the rear, traction wise, so I wouldn't be the least bit reluctant to put one on the R2. My only gripe would be that my YZ250 looks kind of like some weird little dog dragging its ass across the carpet. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
FG250WRR

FG250WRR

PostSubject: Re: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 3:32 am

GusinCA wrote:
"wouldn't that be bad if your jumping"

Correct, if jumping is a big deal to you, then you need all the travel you can get, so don't lower the bike.
Agree 100%
Gusin we have to do enduro together :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lowering seat height question   Lowering seat height question Empty

Back to top Go down

Lowering seat height question
Page 1 of 1