Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Have you ever seen someting like this

Go down 
+8
kbike
X-Racer
YZEtc
pbnut
spacecadet
promark03
motokid
Marylucky
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Marylucky

Marylucky

Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 8:07 am

greer wrote:
Yes, the same thing happened to me when I ran my chain too loose. You need a new slider immediately, otherwise you may add to the damage on the swingarm.

Sarah

But the slider seems to be ok, I don't think it's damaged.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 11:41 am

A hunk of slider is missing right where your swingarm is damaged. Go here and scroll down to Will B's picture of an intact slider:

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t4825p30-swingarm-eaten-by-chain

Sarah
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Marylucky wrote:
greer wrote:
Yes, the same thing happened to me when I ran my chain too loose. You need a new slider immediately, otherwise you may add to the damage on the swingarm.

Sarah

The bottom front part of your slider is definitely worn off, but the rest of it is fine. You'll be fine running it as is, just as long as you make sure you keep the correct chain tension.

I've been riding mine with the same amount of damage that you have for over a year and a half now(for over 14k miles on the ODM), and ever since I caught the problem and fixed my chain tension it's been fine ever since. The chain has never even came close to rubbing on the swingarm since I've corrected my chain tension. Just check your chain tension often and as per Jagers issue make sure there are not rocks stuck in your chain guide either.

Just my observation.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Marylucky wrote:
As Sarah said, yes it is. In fact, it's toast and beyond even a temporary fix like I did with mine.

You can see it in your last pic:

Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 Img_2015

Your red circle, where the damage is, is where your slider should extend up to. You can see the remainder of the right hand side of your slider in the right hand edge of the circle.

The damage to your slider is exactly like mine, except not quite as extensive. Half the slider is worn away, allowing the chain to contact the swingarm. In the pic below you can see my destroyed slider next to the new slider (which I then destroyed in about 20 miles). In the pic, the bottom of the slider is oriented towards the top of the picture. Notice that half of the leading edge of the slider is still there, just like yours, but most of it is worn away:

Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 Imgp7811

You have very little damage to your swingarm right now. But until you replace your slider, your chain will continue damaging your swingarm as the slider is no longer providing protection. You can probably continue to ride it with minimal additional damage (the wear isn't all the way back on the slider) now that you have new chain & sprockies and proper chain slack set. But why do that unless you need the bike for transportation.

A new slider is $33 from Yamaha Sports Plaza; but they had to get them from Yamaha first. I found that none of the dealerships stock them; they also have to get them from Yamaha first and then wanted $55. Maybe you'll get lucky being in Montreal and it won't take long to get your hands on one. But I'd get on that today, right now.

Changing it is simple. Take the bolt out, take the rear tire off to get max chain slack to work around, then work the old slider off to the rear and put the new one on the same way - I now have more experience doing this than probably anybody else. Sadly...

Of course, if you haven't greased up your swingarm and suspension linkages yet, now would be a good time to take her pants off and do that at the same time. If so, be VERY, VERY gentle handling those needle bearings in that MTH matrix and DON'T clean them with solvent - unless you want to tear the MTH right out of there to have bare needle bearings. You're on your own if you choose to do that... Just get as much of the old grease out as you can with gentle little wipes (here it will be useful to have girly fingers), then spend some time packing in grease, gently turning the bearing, pack in a little more grease, gently turn the bearing, etc. The idea is to get the needles to carry some of the grease into the space between them and the MTH. And carefully replace the collars as well - it is very easy for them to pick up and tear the MTH. DAMHIK.

Easy job. Just don't be hamfisted about it.

Back to top Go down
Marylucky

Marylucky

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks !
The cut is so clean that a tought it was made this way !
I have to adjust the chain tension cause I check it yesterday and it was to tight, I run it this way since I've got it.
I will order a new chain slider next week.
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 Photo-84
Here's a picture of my slider and swingarm. The chain is still dirty, but as you can see no new damage, just old chain lube crud that's splashed on the swingarm over time. Again I've been riding it like this for over 14,000 miles and no new damage has occured since correcting the chain tension. I'll probably get quite a few more thousand miles out of this slider before I replace it.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 4:40 pm

Rather than buying expensive OEM replacements we need a quality aftermarket piece.

Some of you might have heard of TM Designworks. I've sent them a message via their "Contact Us" page, located here, and asked them to consider making a chain slider for our bikes.

Maybe if we get enough people to show interest they could start producing a longer wearing slider.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 11:33 am

pbnut wrote:
Rather than buying expensive OEM replacements we need a quality aftermarket piece.

Some of you might have heard of TM Designworks. I've sent them a message via their "Contact Us" page, located here, and asked them to consider making a chain slider for our bikes.
Their chain sliders seem to run around $71. The OEM replacement cost me $33 - less than half that.

Quote :
Maybe if we get enough people to show interest they could start producing a longer wearing slider.
Wear on the OEM slider does not appear to be a problem - as long as you maintain proper chain slack and don't get a rock stuck in your chain guide...

I wore through a new OEM chain guide in about 20 miles due to that rock. I don't think a TM chain slider would have lasted much longer than that. Not enough that it would have made a difference on a day's ride...
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 11:39 am

Marylucky wrote:
I have to adjust the chain tension cause I check it yesterday and it was to tight, I run it this way since I've got it.
I will order a new chain slider next week.
Make sure you're using the new way to set chain tension, not the old way.

And post up some audio of you saying "You like chocolate chip cookies?" in English...
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 11:42 am

aaronhall555 wrote:
Again I've been riding it like this for over 14,000 miles and no new damage has occured since correcting the chain tension. I'll probably get quite a few more thousand miles out of this slider before I replace it.
Assuming you don't get some mud or foreign material in a chain guide of course. Or your chain goes bad in a hurry and you don't catch it immediately. Trying to get a few more thousand miles out of a damaged slider to put off the inevitable spending of $33 kind of seems like false economy. But that might just be me, and chances are good you'll get away with it.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 2:25 pm

Jäger wrote:
Their chain sliders seem to run around $71. The OEM replacement cost me $33 - less than half that.
Yikes. I didn't realize the TM's were so much. I guess I should have done some more research.
I thought I read somewhere that someone paid $50 for a new slider... Maybe one of the Canucks here?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 2:24 am

I got a price of $50+ from US dealerships.
Back to top Go down
Marylucky

Marylucky

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 9:42 am

Can I put a chain roller insted of a chain guide to protect my swingarm ?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 8:05 pm

Marylucky wrote:
Can I put a chain roller insted of a chain guide to protect my swingarm ?
????

Ummm... you'll see you already have chain rollers if you go poke around and look. I lubed mine up a bit while I had her pants off, incidentally, and it turns a lot more smoothly after that. It was due...

I guess somebody could invent some sort of rollers to replace the chain guide. The first question that comes to mind is: "What would you mount the roller axles to"?

I think the stock guide has proven itself to be just fine and reliable - as long as you don't let your chain slack get out of hand or pick up a magic rock or some other bad lucky incident.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Have you ever seen someting like this
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: What Broke?-
Jump to: